“amazing value”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel is in a great locations near the metro and various restaurants in Bethesda. We stayed a few nights recently during a severe, long-lasting power outage in our area. I was actually surprised that the hotel was priced at only $159/night for a king, non-smoking room given the circumstances and even MORE shocked that they had a room open. I made the reservation via Hotels.com and when we checked in, the hotel didn't have our reservation. Hotels.com was having a system glitch and no reservations were transmitting. The front desk seemed to have sympathy for our situation even though the place was a full capacity and things seemed crazy because people were desperate to get hotels rooms. They could've easily just referred us to the Hotels.com phone number and sent us away. After 30 minutes, they finally located a room and when we entered the room, it appeared to be occupied by someone else or not cleaned from the previous guest!! We went back to the lobby and after another 20-30 minutes, they finally gave us a king non-smoking room...assuming they pulled it from another guest who hadn't checked in yet? Not sure what they did but they accommodated us with the room and also with complimentary breakfast. Breakfast, valued at $15/each, was very nice. They had made-to-order omelettes, waffles and eggs of any type. They also had healthier options like fruit, yogurt, etc. I was pleasantly surprised with the sit-down, restaurant feel for a continental type breakfast. They also have a canteen in the lobby with ice cream, drinks, microwavable dinners and you can charge them to your room.

Our room was large, clean, modern, etc. The mattress was a sleep-number type of bed where you could adjust your firmess on your individual side of the bed. Loved this!!! Also, our room was right near elevator and we didn't hear a thing.

Parking is decent in the parking garage that's attached to hotel. You can pay for parking for your room upon check-in and then your room key lets you in and out of garage. You don't have to physically pay for parking using the machines in the garage. This was convenient.

Overall, can't say enough good things about this hotel for many reasons...price, location, staff, quality of rooms, etc.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed for one night recently on business. I've had a lot of experience with the brand that's been almost uniformly positive.
It's well-located just off Wisconsin Avenue, so plenty of restaurants to walk to. The Metro is nearby, though the proximity described by the hotel is overly generous. Still, you'll be there in five minutes or less.
This was my first experience with the Sleep Number beds that they're using more at HGI properties.Hint: if you're looking for the dial, it's at the left rear of the mattress hidden under a velcro flap. Took me a while to realize that. Can't say it was a game-changer for me, but YMMV. Somehow, the rate I had through my corporate travel planner wasn't a regular Hilton rate, so I didn't get points or have my Gold status recognized. That's a little annoying, given the room cost $300 with tax.
That's a lot more than you'd pay for an HGI outside of a major city, though I should note you'd have plunked down $100 more if you could have found a room the same night I stayed if you were actually in Washington proper. Still, the room was comfortable, the Internet was free, the front-desk staff were courteous. Overall, a good stay. But next time: stick a bottle of water in the room, not too much to ask on a summer's day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank murrayhill
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Clean, conveniently located near many restaurants and metro. Friendly helpful staff. I needed some milk to go with the cookies at the front desk, and one of the staff provided 2 cartons. We weren't sure that the a/c in our room was working properly, so I called the front desk, and a friendly building engineer (term?) came up to our room w/in 5 min and made some tweaks. He stayed around 15 minutes to ensure that the the unit continued to work. He was very friendly and chatted with us while he was there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We just spent 10 days at this hotel and loved our room. The A/C does NOT blow right at you (except if you are at the desk) like it does at some other neighboring one. Staff was great. Restaurant was truly awful. The menu is bizarre ..literally everything is over sauced, as though designed by a 16 year old. Dominant: very spicy and over cooked. The Reuben tasted just like the Jerked chicken sandwich .. over cooked, over spiced mystery meat in shreds. All I wanted was a simple grilled cheese sandwich but nothing like that on the menu. This is strange as many of the residents are NIH patients undergoing treatment and the last thing you wanted is highly peppery foods. I finally got them NOT to spice up the chicken on the caesar and then the lettuce was old and ugly, sigh. No one minding the store? Worst was the fish sandwich .. why would you batter fry fish and then put CHEESE on top of it?? This restaurant needs a Gordon Ramsey visit. Otherwise, I highly recommend the hotel ..just eat elsewhere

Room Tip: We had a top floor room looking toward DC ..lovely view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Lynn S
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my boyfriend. When we checked in, we were given a nice standard room. We did not have a good view, but not a big deal. I asked for a bottle of water upon check in and was told I can purchase it from the sundries shop.. I am a HHonors member and I am always given a 2 free bottles at HGI upon check in. The front desk did not inform us of anything or offer any further assistance. We had to ask about everything... The 2nd day when housekeeping serviced the room, only the bed was made and towels were replaced. No counters were wiped down and you could cleary see that coffee spilled on the counter. It just wasnt what I expected for my stay... I had the option to stay at the Hyatt where my family had a room block for the weekend but choose to stay here. I may try this hotel again but next time I hope the service standards are higher.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking bethesda not another building
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NYdisney
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I stay often; the location is great and the property is refreshing, but my last stay was very unfortunate.

Checked in late on June 12, 2012 - room 405. During the next day I felt some itches and bumps; not too major and it did not occur to me this might be bedbug bites until late in the day.

Evening June 13, I asked the on duty supervisor if my bites looked like bedbug bites to him and if there were any reports - denial is the best description of his response; he said he would have the room checked out while I was at dinner. When I got back I was told "no bedbugs"- if those bites were bedbugs, it was likely from how I traveled to the region - and stupidly; really really stupidly; I slept in that room again.

June 14 - some 200 bites on my face, arms, legs, feet - swelling and itching at different paces, I insisted on another room. I was given room 917 for my third night - left my clothes and luggage in the old room and no new bites.

The hotel did not react properly and I bet rented out room 405 the following nights. I have contacted the general manager, Tamara, and there has been NO reply.

This hotel name does not come up on your search - other than by address - it is The Hilton Garden Inn, Bethesda.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank Falcon322
Chanelle L, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for any inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. This is a matter that we take very seriously.

Our general manager did respond to your email that you sent on Sat, June 16 to address your concerns during your stay. In that response on Sun, June 17, she also advised to you that a certified technician came out and completed an inspection in that room on June 15. Upon completion of the inspection, there were no bed bugs discovered in that room. She also attached the report from the company who conducted the inspection which states no bed bug activity was discovered in that room.

Since our hotel has opened October 2009, there has been no incidents at our property.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience you have experience. As you are currently working with the hotel's general manager, feel free to contact her or any other manager on duty for any further assistance.

Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Our family of three stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. The location was easy to find. Parking was great as we opted for the $15per day parking package. The garage is connected to the hotel and you use your room key to enter and exit the garage without paying.

When we arrived at our check in time of 3 pm, our room was not ready. We did not wait long. By the time we unloaded the car and parked, the room was ready to go.

The room: was okay except that it smelled like dirty feet from the minute we arrived. It wasn't bad enough to ask to be moved, but it is a little odd that it smelled that way all week -even after being cleaned. I would have expected the cleaning people to either do something about it, or report the issue. The fact that it didn't change all week tells me that it is probably an issue in other rooms, too. Cable tv includes HBO, all the cable news channels, a few local channels, one or two cartoon channels, a few other cable standards like espn, history, and weather. Room has a microwave and small fridge and space to store a few food items. There was only one dresser for all three of us but plenty of hangers in the closet.

Amenities: hotel has a decent grill/bar and the breakfast package is a good deal. The breakfast ends at 10 am and not 11 as it states on their website. The business center is very good and even though we were on vacation, we actually used it a couple of times. The free in room wifi is great. Laundry room is clean but you have to buy laundry soap in the pantry which is located in the lobby and the laundry room is on the 2nd floor. It's not a big deal, just a little odd that the laundry products are not sold in the laundry area. The pool is hardlly worth the space it takes. It's indoors on the second floor and is very small and only 3 ft deep all around. It is really more of a wading pool. The hot tub is nice and is almost as big as the pool. Big beach towels are provided at the pool. There is also a small workout room next the pool. It includes towels and there is a tv. The exercise room overlooks the pool. There was always a lifeguard on duty so parents with younger kids could easily exercise while kids play in pool. The pool is in plain view from the exercise room.

The location: easy easy easy walk to the metro. For 9 bucks each for day passes ( purchased ea day at the kiosk inside the metro station) we could go anywhere we wanted all day long. Metro system is super easy to navigate. We used it all week to get to the main dc attractions that were of interest to us. With a little advance planning, the metro is all you need to get around dc. Other: We were surprised to discover that liquor is not sold in the local stores in bethesda/Chevy chase area. Area is not dry but you have to find a state store to make the purchase. There are many very good affordable restaurants within walking distance and some pretty good shopping too.

Room Tip: Definitely choose the parking and breakfast deal. They give you a coupon for each day of your stay a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family