“Great location at reasonable price”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Ewing, NJ
“Great location at reasonable price”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Stayed at HGI Bethesda for three nights touring colleges in the DC area and couldn't have been happier with our stay. We took a package including parking and breakfast (which I would recommend as it offers great value). Room was standard HGI, clean and comfortable; breakfast was good and service attentive. Hotel is just 2 blocks from Metro for quick trip to DC and right in the middle of downtown Bethesda with access to great food and entertainment. We will certainly consider this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank EdJack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Locate in a quiet location despite access ti heart of Bethesda and a quick drive to city center with most shops and restraunts. Rooms in this high rise are all same chain feel. Check in was easy and lobby had bar area. Parking is $15 but WIFI is free. Value is relative to the area okay but seemed high relative to the chain.

• Stayed July 2012
Innisfil, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We arrived in Bethesda just as a huge storm hit the area dropping power lines and generally creating chaos. The hotel power remained on but we were confined to the hotel for a while and it was comfortable.

The location of the hotel was great - a block away from the Bethesda Metro Station. Restaurants were a few blocks away and we thoroughly enjoyed the area.

The room was standard and the bed was comfortable. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2012

A typical big box hotel that tries to market itself as upscale when the reality is anything but.

While it is situated in downtown Bethesda with easy access to the metro station, the hotel is a second if not third class hotel trying to be something it isn't....customer focused. Upon check in at 9pm, I was ignored by the front desk staff. They weren't busy or helping other guests, they were looking at the phone texting. Not a great impression. I immediately asked about room service or dining options in the area because I had been traveling all day and needed to eat. I was told that room service closed at 9pm and that there were a wide variety of dining options within walking distance of the hotel. There aren't, especially past 8pm and didn't appreciate walking around Bethesda trying to find something to eat. Realizing that nothing was actually open at that time of night, I walked back to the hotel and was forced to get something to eat from the sundry shop. When the front desk girl asked if I found everything okay, I told her that I was suprised that no dining options existed and that their restaurant/room service was open until 10pm. She told methat her co-worker must have made a mistake on the times and they had frozen meals I could purchase. Really? You're offering me a burrito that is frozen? No thank you. You say that you're a business friendly hotel but have no options to eat at 9pm? Under no circumstances should I be made to eat stale pringles and a bag of peanuts by a hotel for dinner.

The rooms are generic, a bit shabby and of questionable cleanliness. There was dried urine on the toilet seat. My room had an "odor" that could accurately be described as a cross between scrambled eggs and dirty feet." I couldn't believe that this is where I was to be trapped for the next three days for meetings.

For a hotel that markets itself to the business traveling, it certainly doesn't have the chops to back it up in terms of amenities, staff or cleanliness. Stay away from this hotel, you will be glad that you did.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank KeithT879
Washington State
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed here on business, it wasn't my first choice as my meetings were near the Twinbrook station. This hotel was the closest the had a room at my per diem rate. It is very close to the Bethesda Metro station, which made for a very easy commute.

When I arrived, there were two other guests in line to check in, but only one clerk. They did bring someone else out to help in short order though.

The room was good sized, street view and the AC worked very well. The room was very quiet, I did not notice any noise from the adjacent rooms. The bed was comfortable, I would say above average.

My only complaint, and this is not unique to this hotel, was the abysmal internet connection. I tried both the wireless and wired connections at various times of the day and night and never got above 0.6Mbps. My phone got 1.2Mbps over the AT&T 3G network. This poor connection made it difficult to connect to my work via VPN. On the upside, there was no charge for the internet hookup.

If future business takes me back to the DC area, I will definitely keep this hotel in mind.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Yakivegas
Menominee, Michigan
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Driving into Bethesda trees were down and power was out at many intersections. We were glad to get to our hotel and find it had power. Unfortunately we had to wait until about 3:45 pm for our room to be finished being prepared. They said the room was clean but not ready. When we actually got into the room we noticed a bad musty smell. I assume previous occupants probably left wet towels or suits on the carpet. The hotel will probably have to steam clean the carpet to get rid of the smell. Overall was a decent place to stay; close to the Metrorail.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Connie M
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel is in a great locations near the metro and various restaurants in Bethesda. We stayed a few nights recently during a severe, long-lasting power outage in our area. I was actually surprised that the hotel was priced at only $159/night for a king, non-smoking room given the circumstances and even MORE shocked that they had a room open. I made the reservation via Hotels.com and when we checked in, the hotel didn't have our reservation. Hotels.com was having a system glitch and no reservations were transmitting. The front desk seemed to have sympathy for our situation even though the place was a full capacity and things seemed crazy because people were desperate to get hotels rooms. They could've easily just referred us to the Hotels.com phone number and sent us away. After 30 minutes, they finally located a room and when we entered the room, it appeared to be occupied by someone else or not cleaned from the previous guest!! We went back to the lobby and after another 20-30 minutes, they finally gave us a king non-smoking room...assuming they pulled it from another guest who hadn't checked in yet? Not sure what they did but they accommodated us with the room and also with complimentary breakfast. Breakfast, valued at $15/each, was very nice. They had made-to-order omelettes, waffles and eggs of any type. They also had healthier options like fruit, yogurt, etc. I was pleasantly surprised with the sit-down, restaurant feel for a continental type breakfast. They also have a canteen in the lobby with ice cream, drinks, microwavable dinners and you can charge them to your room.

Our room was large, clean, modern, etc. The mattress was a sleep-number type of bed where you could adjust your firmess on your individual side of the bed. Loved this!!! Also, our room was right near elevator and we didn't hear a thing.

Parking is decent in the parking garage that's attached to hotel. You can pay for parking for your room upon check-in and then your room key lets you in and out of garage. You don't have to physically pay for parking using the machines in the garage. This was convenient.

Overall, can't say enough good things about this hotel for many reasons...price, location, staff, quality of rooms, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple