“Definitely worth the stay with a return trip to follow”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Maryland
“Definitely worth the stay with a return trip to follow”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Bethesda (Downtown Bethesda, MD) in November 2012. It is about 2.5 blocks from the Bethesda Metro Station (red line). The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. When I checked in, I did receive a complimentary 10% off room service which I did not use.

Parking is adjacent to the hotel, but is owned by a different company. The overnight price is $15. It seems safe as the entrance to the hotel is also in this garage.
I, however, did not park here. I decided to park in the public garage which is a block away from the hotel as it only cost me less than $5 (all in coins).

They do have a restaurant in the hotel called the Great American Grill. It is opened in the evening for dinner and in the morning for breakfast. I did not eat dinner there, but I did have breakfast which was about $15, but it is for buffet and they do have a lot of choices like different juices and milk, pastry, muffin, donut, fruits like cantaloupe, melon and strawberry, yogurt, cereal, toast (they did have different types of bread), bagel, sausage, potatoes, scrambled eggs, hash browns, tatter tots, tea and coffee. The hotel also has something called a Pavilion which is next to the front desk and it is opened 24 hours/day with little snacks, drinks, gum, etc.

The room I stayed in was very spacious and comfortable (see pictures). It had a big TV, a microwave and a small refrigerator which came in handy. There is also a coffee pot, but I don’t drink coffee. There is also a safe in the closet where you can put your valuables. The bathroom had shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower cap, and a hair dryer. One of the things I truly loved about this room is that it had a 4 socket plug in the wall, so I didn’t have to plug anything out if I wanted to use any of my items in the room – I wish all hotels had one of those in their rooms. There is also free wifi access as well.

Lastly, another thing I like about this hotel is safety – in order to get to any of the floors (exception is the lobby), you need your key. Love it. I truly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and if I have to stay in Bethesda again, this will be my first choice.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 22 November 2012

very good hotel for reasonable price. good food for the breakfast. Comfortable big rooms with everything you need for short stay in Washington area. There is a restaurant on the lobby level. 24 hours mini market on the lobby level. Hotel is located near Bethesda metro station.

Room Tip: I was in room 1016 It was big, comfortable with microwave and fridge
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Nice facilities, only a couple of blocks from Metro Subway Station. I was on company business and this is their preferred hotel. Too expensive for a personal stay.

Restaurant is a tad pricey, but food was good.

I especially enjoyed the proximity to the shopping / restaurant district, about 3 blocks away. Lots of restaurants and shops including a very large Apple Store.

• Stayed September 2012
Severn, Maryland
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a quick weekend getaway that was near DC. The hotel is located a block from the Bethesda Metro station, making for a quick trip into Washington, and is located near many restaurants of all types. The area feels safe as well. The hotel itself is well maintained, & the room, with a king bed, was a decent size. The rooms include a coffeemaker, microwave, & small refrigerator. The check-in was fast, & the employees were courteous, letting us know how to get in & out of the parking garage, as well as the breakfast hours. It should be noted that, if you don't get a package/special rate, that parking is $15/day, and, if you choose to eat breakfast in the restaurant, it is $14.95 before taxes/tip. Everything met my expectations; the only reason I couldn't give a 5 was the way the room was done - housekeeping failed to supply us with enough linens, and the coffee wasn't refilled. I also felt a bit rushed at breakfast the first morning, even though the restaurant wasn't full, and wasn't closing for a while. I have to agree with a previous poster that the cable selection left a bit to be desired. Overall, it was a good experience, & I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is my third stay here, and as always the check-in and out process was efficient and quick. When I had an issue with my air-conditioning making a noise, the response by the engineers was very prompt, and they sorted it out. I have stayed in several other hotels in the area, and find the hilton to be best suited for my needs.

Room Tip: If you have a room only booking, I would suggest you also try breakfast (with reasonable prices) in...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This was my 2nd stay at this hotel where I stayed for an annual conference. This time I was planning on relaxing and watching TLC Sunday night....there are tons of sports channels on their TV lineup but no TLC! Missed out on Long Island Medium!

Computers in the business center are a bit outdated and one of them has a broken stand on the keyboard....also would appreciate some wipes in there to wipe down the keyboard. I couldn't print my boarding pass because they don't have Adobe PDF reader installed on them, so I had to go to the front desk to print it.....PDF reader is not exactly exotic software, also the IE browser doesn't support tabs.....quite a bit behind the times. Did appreciate that it was free to use the computers since I didn't have my laptop or other email device with me.

Overall a very good value and perfectly nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The location was excellent and the rooms were good size for a hotel in this price range. The location is close to almost everything in downtown Bethesda, including the Metro and a huge variety of restaurants (the high-end specialty and department stores are about a mile closer to DC in Chevy Chase). The lobby was small but pleasant. The weekend we were there, a large arts and crafts show was being held a few blocks away, one of the best I've seen of these outdoor art shows. We were unfortunately on the same floor as the (tiny) pool and fitness room, which led to a fairly strong chlorine smell at certain times of day, but the noise was not an issue. The beds and pillows (non-foam) were comfortable, reading and working lights were excellent, and both the bath (decent size) and room were very clean. The staff was pleasant and helpful, but the hotel's breakfast buffet is basically an all-you-can eat single price ($15) affair, which, if you like a coffee/cereal type of breakfast, was simply not reasonable price-wise. Perhaps the hotel has a continental breakfast option on weekdays; they should make it available on weekends as well. There is a Starbucks a block away, about a two minute walk. Moreover, right next to the Starbucks is a municipal garage that is free on weekends, so you can skip the $15/night hotel parking (not unreasonable by DC standards) if you wish. One warning; while the hotel is close to everything in northwest DC, including American U., the National Cathedral, embassies, etc., the traffic on the main artery, Wisconsin Ave. can be very slow, so plan for and find alternate routes.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool and fitness room, choose a room on the second floor, otherwise I...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott Suites
#2 of 11 in Bethesda
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!