“Affordable alternative”

Bethesda Court Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Great find on a budget ! These friendly folks try very hard to make a older motor hotel into quiet getaway for those visiting Washington, DC. Easy check in with bottled water and chocolates, updated rooms, continental breakfast included. This hotel is very close to the metro ( Red line ) and within walking distance of a number of great neighborhood restaurants. You can't beat the price ! Especially when you consider just how expensive DC can be ! It's not fancy but very comfortable.

Room Tip: Depending on your final stop , keep in mind that it's about a 30 - 45 minute commute, by the ti...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pwrightnm

Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I just spent one night at this wonderful hotel and wish we could have stayed a week. Brandon at the front desk was as personable and accommodating as he could be. The staff always had smiles on their faces and said hello. The bed was super comfy and the rooms furnished perfectly. We enjoyed the wonderful breakfast and I had the largest and sweetest red delicious apple I have ever seen in my life!! When we come back to this area, this is where we will stay. Great job and thank you!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This hotel made my trip worthwhile. Where you stay influences the quality of your trip. I felt like I was staying at an old, smaller European hotel, and having been partially raised in Switzerland, that really appealed to me. I read later that it is a four star hotel in a worldwide chain. It had a free continental breakfast nook, two free internet stations with a printer, a little garden and a free car to drive you anywhere within three miles (certain times). NIH and the Metro were within that zone. There's also an Enterprise rental agency right across the street that I used for one day. Two Zip Cars are in the parking lot along with a 30 minute stall for your rental car. How convenient! Also, all the best Bethesda restaurants were close by serving gourmet food and it was hard to choose which one to dine at next. I wanted to bring the food back to my home state! The room was comfortable, clean and had everything you needed - mini-fridge, safe, micro, coffee maker, dryer and even a blue nightlight. The bed was perfect for me - not too soft, not too hard and decorated with cozy sheets and covers. A friend who was staying at the more expensive, huge Hyatt two blocks down liked this little hotel better. It was quaint, quiet, and had reasonable rates in comparison to the Hyatt. Bethesda is in an expensive county so nothing is really cheap. The staff, and especially Mr. Brandon Butler, Hotel Manager, were always helpful. NIH scientists are the primary pool of customers so I guess that had something to do with the quiet part. Yes, the air conditioner could have been quieter, but it didn't bother me. I was too busy being as happy as a clam in a comfortable hotel that I will visit again, if not in Bethesda, somewhere else in the world. It is the first hotel that I will actually seek out - Golden Tulip (4-star) or Royal Tulip (5-star). Thank you for making my first stay in Bethesda one that I will always remember.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the street, stairs, elevator or ice machine...I always do. I don'...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Christine J
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We arrived to find a totally run down Hotel. The pictures online don't give an accurate view. The elevator barely fit 2 people. The room smelled of chemicals, and the A/C was so noisy there was no way we were going to be able to sleep. The outlets were outdated and it seemed almost unsafe.

We left and stayed at the Hyatt.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vtpsu
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Great location, nice staff, free internet and printing services on the lobby. I stayed there for 6 nights so I got a reduced rate but even this was not cheap, however, you get your money's worth.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank idogold
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Wish we could give 5 stars just so the staff would know how much we appreciated their genuine and attentive care.
The owners should reassess their technology and most of all replace the HVAC, specifically because it is a health issue.
We were on 3rd (top) floor, in high 80-low 90 degree weather (not dead heat of summer YET) and our air conditioner was so antiquated we could not adjust the temp. at all, nor was it able to cool off our room. LOUD is an understatement. When leaving, another guest squeezed into their closet sized elevator (3 of us) and commented how she did not sleep due to the loud & poor cooling system. The heat and noise was unbearable for her. Alas, the cleanliness of the room, coffee (pod) maker, fridge and perfect location near NIH cannot change the fact the Heat & Cooling system is terrible. An analog TV with poor picture quality is fine for a night, we laughed at the yellow tinged programs, but if we had to stay for any length of time, we would chose elsewhere. Does HD cost that much more in the DC area?
Sorry to the staff, you were all perfect, warm, friendly, helpful and we felt you deserved another bravo so people would know, if staying in this motel, the staff is the best part of your stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank RFRocky
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We spent three nights at the Bethesda Court Hotel during our trip to DC. I must admit to some real trepidation after reading some of the reviews here on Trip Advisor. Happily, my fears were pretty much unfounded. Our room (331) faced the courtyard side of the hotel. We loved the view. Although our room was several spaces past the courtyard so that we could not look down into that lovely space, we still enjoyed our view. Not sure what the view is like on the other side of the hotel, though.

We were greeted warmly upon our arrival and have no complaints at all with the staff save for the fact that, on the third morning, they were remiss in getting things cleaned up and re-stocked in the breakfast area.

Speaking of the breakfast area, as other reviewers have noted, it is a very, very small space. You might consider taking your breakfast out to the tables in the beautiful courtyard area or even up to your room unless you want to rub elbows (quite literally) with your neighbours. The breakfast offerings are nothing special but were quite adequate. No hot foods, but there are pastries, juices, coffee, cereal, bagels, etc. A perfectly acceptable spread, in my opinion.

Our room was very comfortable and clean, though the carpet has seen better days and is definitely ready to be changed. The bathroom, as noted by others, is very small and does not offer much space to set one's toiletries, though this was not really a problem for us.

Nice flat screen TV, Movies On Demand and free wi-fi.

Great location with a plethora of culinary choices within easy walking and/or driving distance. If you are looking for something quick and don't care about fancy, try the Tastee Diner which is about a one minute walk from the hotel. The food was very good, the prices were excellent, and Frank, who seemed to be one of the owners, was amusing and extraordinarily friendly and attentive. The Tastee Diner has many repeat customers as evidenced by the fact that staff and patrons knew each other by name.

A caveat or two: If staying at the Bethesda Court Hotel, I would not recommend a first floor room facing the courtyard. Could be noisy, plus, you can't really leave the curtains open to enjoy the view unless you like feeling your are in a fish tank as other guests walk past your window or make use of the courtyard.

Parking costs about $15.00 a day, so, be prepared for that extra cost unless you want to park in the garage across the street...which comes with its own fees unless you park after 10:00 p.m. and move your vehicle before 6:00 a.m. We were told parking there is free between those hours.

This is an older hotel, so don't expect it to be an Embassy Suites! If you like something a little different, though, this could be the place for you.

All in all, we really enjoyed the Bethesda Court Hotel. We would definitely stay there again if in the DC area!

Room Tip: We loved Room 331! Would highly suggest requesting a room facing the courtyard but NOT on the first...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends