“Hit or miss”

Panas Gourmet Empanadas
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Panas specializes in Latin fusion gourmet empanadas, crescent- shaped turnovers, stuffed with well seasoned combinations of meats, vegetables, spices, fruits, and sweets. Our recipes are inspired by the idea of Latin Fusion cuisine; a culinary concept based on creating new recipes by combining traditional and modern culinary techniques and mixing ingredients from different countries in the Americas. The only empanadas’ tradition we want to preserve is that empanadas a great idea and fun package for food.
Columbia, South Carolina
“Hit or miss”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My friend and I were very excited to try this place out because we don't have anything like it back home. The menu featured a lot of new and exciting flavor combinations and mix-and-match options for 2 or more people. We got our choice of 8 empanadas, the plantain and veggie skewers and the cucumber appetizer (the last two we were hoping to share with my 9.5 month old). Half of the empanadas were tasteless. The shrimp and coconut one tasted old and we didn't finish them. The plantains were green (not maduros, as expected) and were rock hard. All of the veggies were covered in a weird spice that overtook the flavor of the vegetables, and I was not able to serve them to my daughter. The cucumber had such a strong pickled flavor (not indicated on the menu) that we couldn't eat them. Very small portion for the price. However, the idea is creative and they had some good music in the background. Probably won't go back, though. :(

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Take Out Divine”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We did take-out of about 12 mostly meat empanadas for a group of 4, and they were PERFECT. The filling of each is stamped in two letters on the edge of each empanada (CA for beef, green olives, hard-boiled eggs, onions and parsley, CS for Chipotle Steak, CP for Chicken Pesto, etc.). Each was better than the one before: fresh ingredients, great combinations of flavors, and interesting sauces, too. One of the best parts is that you pick things up cold and bake them at home for a minute per empanada, so everything is hot & fresh. Highly recommended for take-out.

1 Thank jaseaton
Bethesda, Maryland
“Unbelievably good food for not much $$$ - will definitely return”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I would consider this a fast food restaurant because one orders at the counter. BUT the food is not your typical fast food, it's delicious: fresh, tasty and easy to eat.

After enjoying the empanadas, I ordered a special fruit drink. The ice machine was broken, so the guy at the counter said that if I returned after about two hours, he'd give me the drink for free. VERY nice touch. He enjoyed discussing the food with me after I'd eaten.

I am very impressed with this restaurant. Our group of four spent $31 on a great meal and wondered why we had wasted our money on a mediocre meal at Range the night before.

Mammoth, Pennsylvania, United States
“Nice natural lunch!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I shared a canoa with my boyfriend ( 8 empanadas, 4 sauces and chips in a wooden canoe). The price wasn't bad. I think the canoa was about $15 total. The empanadas are pretty nice sized and we easily were full from one canoa. Loved the fact that they bake them (not fry), use natural dough, non processed ingredients and do not use preservatives.

I wasn't a huge fan of the sauces, but my boyfriend liked them, so that may be a matter of opinion. I thought they had too many spicy sauces and only one not spicy (that probably is more traditional though).

The atmosphere was also nice. Very cute on the inside! I would return.

• Visited June 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Nice late lunch”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

After getting off a morning flight and getting into town we were looking for a late lunch, nothing too heavy. With a beer. Found lots of places in the area, none with beer, but I think we were just unlucky in our choices. We wandered in here, checked that they had beer, and ordered. It was very good. The staff were friendly and helpful to these strangers clearly not familiar with their menu. They made helpful suggestions, and brought a big plate of empanadas to our table outside in the sunshine. With the beer. Very tasty, and ideal for what we wanted. If we were in the area again we would go back for more, and check out some other options on their menu. Well worth a visit.

Visited June 2013