“Upscale Irish Pub without much Irish music”

Flanagan's Harp and Fiddle
Reserve with OpenTable
Flanagan's Harp and Fiddle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 371 Restaurants in Bethesda
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Harp and Fiddle is a rather upscale Irish Pub suitably located in rather upscale Bethesda, Maryland. Patrons enter through an outdoor brick-lined outdoor seating area, which reminds one of a rather upscale alley with patio furniture.

The main room has an island bar at one end, a small stage at the other, and tables in between. For diners yearning for a quieter experience without the shreiking din of diddly-do Irish music (but checking their schedule, there really isn't much Irish music. Good bands, though, but that's way past my bedtime), the room continues beyond the left side of the stage with additional tables and banquets until ending in a secluded backroom, suitable for office parties, watching football (also rugby and futbol), or planning the downfall of the crown.

The full bar offers the usual suspects of potables, although this reviewer - very much a "when in Rome" type - ordered a Guinness; it was delicious. My brother Kevin ordered a Miller Lite (sic) in a bottle, resulting in a steady stream of scorn and derision directed towards his pathetic taste in beer.

While Kevin was making yet another trip to the toilet, I perused the menu; it was the usual bar fare but with higher prices - just about right for Bethesda. We ourselves didn't order anything, but two fabulous looking entres went by my field of vision and landed in front of the couple to my immediate left. I explained to them I was writing a review and asked for a taste of each of their dinners and they rather huffily declined. Typical stuck-up yuppie Bethesdians.

In my earnest quest to make this review as thorough as possible, I ordered another Guinness to make sure the first one wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. Peanut Bladder ordered another Miller Lite. I can only assume to make sure it was as wanting as the first one.

It was around this time that a silver-haired gentleman across bar loudly proclaimed "I'm a Lesbian!" I hoped it was the punchline to that old joke and not a desperate cry for help.

We finished our beers, I stuck Kevin with the tab, and he decided to go the bathroom one more time because it was all of a ten minute trip back to his hotel and better safe than sorry.

1  Thank TimBerMtn

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a very authentic, well run Irish Pub. They have all of the normal Irish fare, including Shepard's Pie, Bangers and Mash, Fish and Chips, Steak and Guiness Pie, etc., plus they do it all well. They have a great beer selection too, draft and bottle. They are conveniently located right off of Woodmont, near Wisconsin Avenue and close to Walter Reed and NIH. Just a really great Irish Pub.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Nice authentic Irish atmosphere. New chef and great specials! Loved the lamb pastries and the wings. Fun and casual. Good music!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband & I decided to visit Flanagan's Harp & Fiddle while visiting in Bethesda. We had read online that Too Damn Big Orchestra was playing there. We arrived at 09:45pm- cover charge a reasonable $5.00. Standing room only initially,near dance floor however a table opened within the 20 minutes. No problem ordering drinks bartender paid close attention to new arrivals at the bar and waitress kept checking back with us once we had a table. Band very good & other patrons friendly- would go back again for drinks & dancing. Most of the crowd 40 plus. Did not have food when we were there.

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Harp and Fiddle is under appreciated as a lunch venue. The restaurant offers excellent burgers, cooked as ordered, and an outstanding brisket sandwich. I haven't ventured much further than these because they are so good. The pub atmosphere is just fine at lunch and service is polite and attentive.

1  Thank ANetliner