“Excellent value!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
New York City, New York
“Excellent value!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a great experience at the american inn. The room is small but decorated very nicely, nice bathroom and very hospitable and helpful staff. Definitely a great value for the money!! Close to Metro and all the Bethesda shopping and restaurants. The free parking worked out fine for us even though it is limited. The breakfast was very enjoyable with hot and cold dishes. Had a great stay!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thanks to taking the time to talk about your experience at the American Inn. I'm glad that you found our hotel to be a good balance of quality and value. We are working hard to create memorable experiences like yours for all of our guests. Your comments have helped us to move closer to this goal. I hope that you stay with us again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the American Inn for one night and had to give a talk at the NIH. The staff was extremely helpful (especially Adeline) and I used the courtesy hotel shuttle to the NIH where the driver was very instrumental in helping me going smoothly through the security check point.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your visit to Bethesda. We understand how daunting the security process can be when entering NIH. So, we make every effort to prepare our guests in advance and to help them through the process at the gate. I'm happy to hear that our efforts had a positive impact on your visit. Thank you for your business!
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at the America Inn a few weeks ago while on a business trip. It was not only rightly priced but the hospitality I received from the staff was amazing. Adeline was beyond helpful on my last day in ensuring I received items I had couriered to my room and was also kind to give us a few hours more and check out late considering we had a late evening flight.
The room was not only well cleaned but also the staff were keen to ensure that they responded to any questions we had with a smile. I would definitely stay there again! Christine

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for comments. I'm happy to hear that Adeline was so gracious and helpful. She exemplifies the level of service we strive for at the American Inn. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return!
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here on a Friday night. Room had not been cleaned (towels were wet, bed not fully made, used glasses and water bottles in the room). Pillows were beyond useless. Sheets were itchy (I may now have lice/bed bugs), and the A/C in the room did not work properly. There were lots of loud mechanical noises at night. The parking lot was full when we arrived, and I had to park in a public lot across the street. I went down to the lobby to ask for new towels, and they said they didn't have any. I would DEFINITELY avoid this hotel. Not a good experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank matt02143
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your last stay. I understand how frustrating it must have been for you to be checked into a room that did not meet basic standards of cleanliness and quality. There is no question that we missed the mark with your stay. Although you did not mention it in your review, It would helpful to know if you reported your observations to our front desk, and, if so, how did we respond? Obviously, issues and problems happen occasionally. But, our staff is empowered and should be capable of resolving these issues as they arise. Specifically, placing a guest in a dirty room is unacceptable and should be corrected immediately. Also, although our on-site parking is limited, keep in mind that we are the only hotel in Bethesda that offers any free parking. Our competitors charge as much as $35 per night for your vehicle. I will be using your comments as a training tool with our staff to help prevent future guests from having a similar experience. I realize that we cannot change your last experience with us. However, we will do our best to improve from your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Bethesda hotels

Middleburg, FL
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'm surprised by the reviews of this hotel, unless the hotel's owners are leaving them. This hotel is a no-frills, bare bones hotel. You can see from the rating that I am not trying to say they do nothing right, so they are two stars, not one. They have very little parking, so most must park off site across a busy street. The rooms are truly tiny, essentially the size of a normal bedroom in a small house, not a master bedroom. The water pressure is minimal and the A/C is not controlled by you, but is actually centrally controlled so don't expect it if the weather is cool at all. The staff is mediocre - I was checked out by a guy in a white undershirt that had parked his car blocking mine (I had one of the 10 spaces they do have on-site). The breakfast is pitiful, though they are trying to improve it little by little. I've stayed here twice, but not a choice I made since my company put me there against my will. After taking pictures of how pitiful it was last time, I convinced them not to put us there anymore. On a positive note, they are trying to be better, and it is convenient to things in Bethesda, such as Walter Reed and NIH, but don't expect very much. With this hotel, you get what you pay for, so make sure you get a good price from them or don't stay.

1 Thank John J
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you, JordJB, for taking the time to give us your feedback on our hotel. I am glad to hear that you have given us a fair opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations . We are continuing to work on the quality of service and guest offerings. However, it is obvious that we missed the mark during your stay. Please accept my apologies for our failure to provide a great memorable experience.

To address a few of your concerns, first, although our parking is limited, we are the only hotel in Bethesda that has any complimentary parking. Most of our competitors charge upwards of $35 per night just to park your car. For guests staying more than one night, we can typically obtain parking for them on the hotel premises.

Although we cannot modify the actual sizes of our guest rooms, we are currently making changes to our guest rooms to make them more comfortable.

Further, I have addressed the uncharacteristic lack of professionalism you experienced during your checkout process with our entire staff. The behaviors you described are unacceptable and I assure you that this will not happen again.

Finally, I'm glad to hear that you recognize some of our efforts to improve the quality of the complimentary breakfast. We have added new items and we continue to modify our presentation to meet and exceed our guest's expectations. I would welcome any specific feedback and suggestions that can help us to reach this goal.

I appreciate your honest feedback. We are constantly working to improve our level of service. And, although we cannot change your previous experience, I hope that you realize that we have heard your feedback and are using your observations to raise the bar.
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My recent stay at this hotel was a disaster. I stayed here for one night with a group of friends each of whom had their own room. All of us had terrible stays. My room stank like mothballs. It was horrid. The people who worked at the hotel came up to the room and sprayed air freshener on the floor. so then my room stank of mothballs and air freshener. There were no other rooms that they could move me to so I was stuck sleeping in a foul smelling room. I got very little sleep and woke up with a nasty head ache. Another member of my group found that the bed sheets were are all stained. so he complained to the desk. The clerk brought him new sheets that looked like they had been used. And the clerk didn't even put the new sheets on the bed. he told my friend that they were understaffed and he would have to remake the bed himself. Another person in my party was in a room that had walls so thin she could hear the person snoring in the room next to her. All in all we will never go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidC602013
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your experience at our hotel. I am so disappointed to hear that we failed so miserably in exceeding your expectations. I completely understand how frustrating it must have been for you to experience an unpleasant smell in the room. I have shared your observations with our entire staff and we are using your experiences as a training tool to improve the quality of our amenities and service. We are constantly working to improve the condition and cleanliness of our rooms. I know this does not change your recent stay with us, but rest assured that your comments have had an impact on our level of service. Again, I apologize for your negative experience and hope that you will try us again as we continue to improve.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Excellent customer service by Adeline who is the front desk supervisor. My room was very cold due to the sudden change in weather. I talked to Adeline and mentioned the room heater was not working. She immediately provided a portable heater which made my stay comfortable. I am extremely satisfied with her response. She is courteous and professional.
Thank you very much Adeline.
SJP

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SunilJP
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
I'm so glad to hear that Adeline knocked it out of the park from a service standpoint with you. She is representative of the level of service that our entire staff hopes to deliver to every guest, every day. So, exciting to hear that our efforts are hitting the mark. Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again during your next stay.