American Inn of Bethesda
US$293
US$263
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Bethesda Marriott Suites(Bethesda)(Great Value!)
US$236
US$213
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase(Chevy Chase)(Great Value!)
US$270
Courtyard
  • Pool
All reviewsthe mexican restaurantfree breakfastlimited parkingmin walkmedical centerhot breakfastdesk staffclean roomsmetro stationbooked this hoteloutdoor poolother hotels in the areayogurtdowntown dcblockwaltershuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here two evenings while attending a business workshop nearby. A warm and welcoming staff greeted me as I entered the lobby and thoroughly explained the Inn and its amenities which included a second to none rating for the complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: West Wing is noisy with doors opening and slamming all night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We appreciate your comments. I am glad to hear that our staff went above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and welcome. I'm happy that our breakfast exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your business and hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked this hotel because the price was pretty good and so was the location. However the pictures on their website paint a different picture then reality. The rooms are run down and in need of restoration. Parking at the hotel was limited so we had to park across the street and pay for it. We probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank for your observations of our hotel. I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectations during your last stay. The pictures of our rooms on the website, although may not show the shapes and sizes of each room, are representative of accommodations and amenities offered in all rooms. And, although on-site parking is limited, we are unique in that we are the only hotel in Bethesda that offers any free parking. In addition, we are currently refreshing our entire hotel including guest rooms and public meeting space which will greatly improve the guest experience. Although we fell short of your expectations during this trip, I hope that you will give us another try in the near future as we work to improve. Thanks for your business and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Bethesda.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stay here for a few weeks June-July and my experience has been very positive. I warn you that this is not your super luxury hotel to spend the corporate money or to show off to your girlfriend, however, if you want a convenient location and inexpensive place to stay in DC, I highly recommend this little charm in Washington DC. I particularly like the friendly Bethesda neighborhood with many great restaurants and bars within a few blocks of this property; 15 min walk to Bethesda or Medical Center metro on the Red Line, which will take you anywhere in DC; They have a decent swimming pool, an essential for me for the summer time, but I wish they open it a little longer (closes at 8pm during my stay); Once again,don't expect luxury and fancy here (there are 5-star hotels on the block if you want), just a little friendly and convenient place to stay in DC.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for your comments. I glad that you found us to be the overall best value in Bethesda. I hope that our service was just as satisfying for you as our location and accommodations. Keep in mind that we always have packages and special rates available on our website and by calling the hotel directly. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

June 10th to June 12th, 2014. Had to stay near NIH for test and biopsies and made reservations at the American Inn. All hotels in area were full which gives the hotel a captured audience. Very limited parking, but lady at front desk was very helpful in securing a handicap space for us. The elevator is small and dirty. Stacked by our room door was a pile of steel studs and other material. The room was in serious need of updating. There was a large hole in the dropped ceiling tile over the bed. The mattresses and pillows were decent. The bathroom was very small with some small patches of what appeared to be mold in the tub shower area. The AC was putting moisture in the air which made things damp and the room have a musty odor. Breakfast was poor. Last Friday we wrote to Darryl C the manager, but never received a response.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank roadwarriors07
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for not responding to your note. I'm not sure how you sent it to me. However, I was not aware of your observations of our hotel until reading them here on Trip Advisor. We are in the midst of a refresh of our guest rooms and public space in the hotel, which would explain why there were construction supplies temporarily in the hallway. These have since been removed. Renovations can be challenging at times and we have made attempts to minimize the impact to our guests. We try to remain as flexible as possible in accommodating guests who are disturbed by any projects we are working on. I wish that I had the opportunity to discuss your observations of the room and public space in person. However, I am using your comments here as a training tool for our staff to ensure we are remaining sensitive to the needs and expectations of our guests as we continue to improve our hotel. I'm sorry that we failed to completely meet your expectations during your last stay. But, you can rest assured that we are working to raise the level and quality of our service and accommodations.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our grandson was selected from his school in Birmingham, AL to attend the Junior National Young Leaders Conference in Bethesda, MD from June 8-13, 2014. His parents and my wife and I made reservations at the American Inn of Bethesda through AAA while our grandson was attending the Conference with his peers from across the country. We took advantage of the opportunities in and around the D.C, area including a day trip to Charlottesville, VA to tour Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.
I have traveled extensively and had the pleasure of being a guest in mostly resort hotels throughout my professional career. Although the American Inn is an older property and lacks the bling of new, it was spotless and staffed by friendly, professional staff from the front desk to the gentleman who prepares the daily complimentary breakfast to the cleaning ladies. Our room was small, but adequate for our needs. If our travels took us to Bethesda again, we would stay there again. The only inconvenience was the on-site parking accommodations. There were fewer parking spaces than there were rooms in the facility, so some guests had to park a block away in unsecured parking. The hotel is landlocked, so expansion of the parking is not an option.

Room Tip: Our suite was above the Mexican restaurant on the property was fine. Know that the elevators do not service the rooms in this space, so you will be carrying luggage up stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gerald C
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and hotel. We obviously achieved our goal of exceeding guest expectations with your stay. I glad to hear that you were able to take adavantage of our prime location and also our breakfast. Although on-premises parking is limited at the hotel, the public lot is very close to the hotel and we will feed the meter for you in the morning to ease the burden of rising early. Most guests staying at the hotel for more than one night are typically able to acquire a free parking space on the premises after the first night. Fortunately, we are very centrally located in Bethesda and very close to public transporation, which provides many transportation options. So, your car can stay parked for your entire stay if you choose. We sincerely appreciate your business and your comments. We hope that you will try us again in the near future.