“Not the first time this hotel charged my credit card "in error"”

Bethesda Marriott Suites
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Princeton, New Jersey
“Not the first time this hotel charged my credit card "in error"”
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I stay at this hotel often because it is located convenientely close to my place of work. Unfortunately, this is the third time within two+ years when this hotel charged my credit card in error. First time this happened when I reserved the hotel with pre-paid option through the travel agency. The hotel bill showed zero balance, but later on they charged my credit card for all three nights, ignoring the fact that this was already paid through the travel agency. The hotel admitted the error, but unfortunately, they continued to make errors. The last time I stayed, they just charged my credit card for the amount not listed in the bill. When I called, they said it was done in error and apologized. So, check your credit card statement!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ysl239

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 10 November 2010

My complaint centers around the Marriott’s unwillingness to provide accurate information regarding its rooms. On their website they claim the suite has a regular
oven, but when you arrive you're told only some suties are equipped with ovens.
If they were more honest, (i.e. not all rooms have ovens, please call the hotel for details); a person could decide to book a different room at a lower rate. I have so many complaints about the Marriott, its policies, practices, and its many properties, OMG,
it definitely would take a book.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tellitstrt
Broomall, PA
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Stayed one Saturday night with my wife - it was close to my daughter's house, we had a car, and were looking for a decent place to lay our heads. We checked in, gave the clerk a nice greeting, and he looked at the room we were assigned and said "let's find you a quieter room". We had a nice suite on the top floor - immaculate, spacious, and we had booked on the internet and so it was a good value. We had a nightcap in the bar - very nice space and service. Some type of private party was going on, with people in costume wandering in and out - very entertaining. We looked at the exercise facility, pool, jacuzzi - looked very nice - if we had been staying longer we would have used it. I woke up early and ran - a nice local park - Cabin John - was about a mile down the road, and there were various trails along a creek there that made for beautiful running. The down side - they charge $14 a night for parking in an adjacent parking garage, though you are in an office building complex and could probably park in the office parking for free on weekends. But we used the garage - don't want to find out that they tow on Sundays.

All in all, it was a good experience and we wouldn't hesitate to return here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Love the separate living room/bedroom set-up. Comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. Living room has lots of seating and desk for working. Loved the plugs on lamps in both rooms which allowed multiple devices to be charge at the same time.

Well-appointed with refrigerator, safe, bar with sink in living room along with desk for work or dining. Lots of drawers in both rooms. Nice sized bathroom was actually two rooms - sink & closet (4 doors covered in full-length mirrors!) in one room, toilet & tub/shower in another.
Room service breakfast on time and very tasty with fresh foods.
BUT, no place to hang a long dress. Staff attentiveness varied from almost rude to very courteous.
They offer free shuttle to Metro which is nice touch but paying for WiFi is outrageous.
All in all, a nice hotel with high points for what matters.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Okiereviewer
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 October 2010

First, let me say that It's hard to complain about an otherwise very nice hotel when, as with many business travelers, I'm not actually paying for it. But this particular location was notable for its relative mediocrity.

In a recent flurry of business travel, I've stayed in quite a few Marriotts around the country, and this is definitely the least impressive so far. There are quite a few raves about this particular Marriott, and I'm not sure why. Yes, the room is spacious, well appointed, and as comfortable as any Marriott. But it's also lacking some of the creature comforts and services that I've very recently come to expect from the brand.

For example, most of the Marriotts (and all of the competing 4 star hotel chains I've stayed at recently) have had a dedicated concierge who will do whatever it takes to provide answers to odd questions. I try to maximize my biz-travel time with a bit of tourism during off-hours, and for a hotel that's isolated in a corporate park, the front desk staff were clueless about how to get to the Metro without a cab, and unwilling to find out. I did it myself, and it turned out to be simple. They should have known better.

Every other Marriott I've stayed in so far (except Times Square, strangely) has had rather comfy bathrobes in the closet. A small creature comfort, but a nice touch that I missed more than I thought I would. Especially when I have to work from the room all day.

The food, whether ordered through room service or at the restaurant in the lobby, is overpriced and dull. I've come to expect pricey meals at decent hotels, but the food here was a distinct notch below.

One night, I hit the bar for a drink to unwind: a Maker's Mark, neat. Though I saw the bartender pour from a Makers bottle, it was most certainly NOT Makers: pungent, harsh, and the color of tequila. I pointed it out, and while he did swap the drink out for another bourbon that tasted right, it's quite obvious they've been refilling at least that bottle with something cheap and inferior.

So no horror stories here, and if this were the first Marriott I'd stayed at, I wouldn't have been disappointed. But for a Marriott located across the street from headquarters, I was pretty surprised to find amenities and service noticeably below other locations.

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Adman08
Sutter Creek, California
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Stayed here for five (count 'em FIVE) nights as a Marriott PLATINUM 'guest'. The location is right next door to Marriott's corporate world headquarters - so you would think this place would be premiere uno..............NOT!!! Room was OK, everything else was less than you would get at a Motel 6. Bar was waaaaaaay over priced. Breakfast of Eggs Benedict I could have used to pave the sidewalks of Times Square and they would last until our sun melts the moon. Their 'free' shuttle to the Metro (and other places) is fine..........as long as you do it when THEY want to. Arrived at the Metro station, only to watch the Marriott bus pull away (when an arriving train (mine) was IN THE STATION - real brain power working here). Called the desk and told I was SOL - wait an hour. Paid $15 for a cab ride back to the joint from the Metro station.
Bottom line. You can do a lot better than this joint, but I do not know where. If this is the best they have to offer (next to their corporate HQ) they better be afraid........very afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelPro17
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Because it is a well designed suite, it provided the extra space for an extended stay. The very friendly and efficient staff added to the comfort of our stay. The location was ideal for our needs...walking distance to our family. Since we didn't have a car, the hotel even provided transportation to the Metro. The hotel is right off the freeway exit and also close to a shopping mall. The fitness center was open 24/7 with helpful staff when we used it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple