“Excellent Service and a Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Doubletree Hotel Bethesda
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent Service and a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Location: On Wisconsin Avenue midway between the Medical Center and Bethesda Metro Stations (about a .6 mile walk to each) and near a ton of restaurants. There's a gas station .2 miles away, a 24 hour CVS about the same walk as well as a 7-11. Can't ask for much more to be nearby a hotel.

Hotel: The layout is strange due to the building being constructed in a strange fashion. I got lost trying to find my room nearly every time. Still, there's a pool on the roof (closed when I was there though), a fitness center on the same level, a business center downstairs and a restaurant and bar in the lobby

Check In: Excellent Check-in experience from a very friendly agent who of course offered cookies but also helped my find a nearby place for dinner and explained how to get to the Metro. I'm Hilton Gold and when I asked about an upgrade I was told I'd already been upgraded, very nice.

Room: In a word: wow. I think this is the best Hilton upgrade I've gotten. A two room suite on the 16th floor with a full living room with couch and table in front of the TV, dining area with a large table and four chairs plus refrigerator, desk and a chair and two easy chairs. Plus a bedroom with a comfortable bed and another TV and a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. My only complaints were the room also being handicapped accessible so I had a closet with a low clothes rack and a shower that wasn't the best.

Other: I had breakfast which was pretty good, a full buffet in the lobby. Golds and Diamonds also get access to a pantry on the 10th floor which had soda juice and water, snacks like chips, cookies and candy, cereal, microwavable meals and ice cream. Do note that the shower has the products in there in a dispenser instead of individual shampoo.

An absolutely excellent hotel that I'd be happy to come back to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hello Sal, thank you for your feedback. I can tell you took some valuable time to describe your experience in details and we truly appreciate it. Our guest satisfaction is extremely important; I must tell you that if you ask any of our team members what they love most about working here they will say it is the rewarding experience to see completely satisfied guests. If you return in the summer please try our rooftop pool with the best view of Bethesda.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This DoubleTree offers good value and nice rooms overall. However the cleaning staff does not respect guest wishes as far as being able to reuse towels during their stay, they change all towels anyway. So the DoubleTree's commitment to respecting the environment is clearly not a priority. Also the carpeting in the room should be cleaned more often, they are not clean.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Mr. Amaud, we appreciate your feedback. The green choice program that you are referring to is one of our more popular programs with our guests; this program however is only as good as our consistency to adhere to the procedures. Your feedback will help us improve with our consistency with this. Thanks again, we hope to serve you again soon.
Manchester, MO, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This clock-radio model, though ubiquitous in hotels is extremely user unfriendly. Change it! Get something that works simply and responsively. It showed the wrong time throughout my stay, and it could not be reset.

Thank Milton R. B
Hello Mr. Milton, thank you for your feedback. We are currently installing newly updated clock radios in all our guest rooms; these radios are equipped to charge Apple products, Samsung, Blackberry, etc.
West Palm Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed here to attend a friends wedding, the only reason I'm giving it 'average' is because the wedding facility was fantastic, we booked a King Suite, room was very 'tired' and not extremely clean. We had a strange thing happen upon check in. The room / key we were given was already someone else's room, so we walked into an occupied room (freaked both us and the occupant out, and made us question the security of the hotel). The desk clerk felt so bad that he gave us 'pantry' privileges at no additional charge, which is a very nice amenity, worth the extra money if you were to have to pay for it (includes non-alcoholic beverages, microwave with various snack and cereals, ice-cream bars, etc). To be honest, wouldn't stay here unless someone else had a wedding or event here (ideal if you plan on partying and don't want to worry about driving), too many better hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask if bedroom has any windows, we stayed in a suite & had no window in our bedroom. It was dar...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drettsonline
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your feedback. Apparently your check in experience with us had a major blunder; though this is quite unusual for us, one time is too many when it comes to our guest’s security; we regret that this happened. Our key security systems is able to red flag these kinds of human errors so that the FD agent makes the correction before handing out a key; so this is mostly a training issue and we will make this a priority. I am glad you enjoyed our event space while attending the weeding event. Room cleanliness is a huge part of our daily scrutiny and we will use your feedback for continued improvements. Thanks again for your feedback.
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

You can tell the workers aren't happy working here. Service should be better considering what you pay. THIN walls make for loud rooms. The rooms lack any sitting features other than desk. Find better and cheaper options elsewhere!

1 Thank John P
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest, your feedback is well noted. We usually receive raving reviews about our team members can do attitude and warm caring service; so this is a bit different. We take pride in providing our team members with an environment that keeps morale boosted and passing it on to our guests. We are still in the process of purchasing new soft seats for our hotel rooms. These chairs will be installed within the next month. Again, thanks for your feedback.
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Good:
Ricky checked us in and was fast, yet very pleasant. Our room was clean and well appointed. Housekeeping kept our room spotless. We tipped her $5 a day, however she deserved much more. Gym looked well appointed, but I didn't use it. Surrounded by chain stores (CVS) as well as local mom & pop places. Free wifi in room.

The Bad:
Pool looked nice, but that whole area lacks something. It needs some "punch" up there (an upgrade). Tile either inside or outside the pool, even some lush potted plants would add a nice lux touch. Rooms could use a microwave or a fridge and the bathroom had a tight layout. Hotel only offers expensive valet parking. HOWEVER, There is a cheap/free parking garage behind the hotel and a metered parking lot in front of the hotel (on Highland -- walk about 45 secs. and you'll see the big blue P sign). Whatever you do don't park on the street. They have weird laws they don't tell you about.

The Ugly:
We were there 5 days, and for 5 days my husband went down to the front desk to purchase a tin of cookies to take home. And every day (regardless of time) they didn't have any. Never have I been to a Doubletree and they not have cookies for purchase. Even in the busy Disney resort area, the DT there, always stayed stocked. Not a big deal to most, but I make the reservations for our family and we are in DC 6 times a year. We always stay at the Sheraton. We opted this time for DT, but never again. At least not in the DC area. I find Sheraton to be more consistent overall.

And finally.....I was bit by a bed bug while at the Doubletree. Mind you, it wasn't in the room, it happened in the meeting (business) center. I went down late one night (3ish) and decided to do some work. I saw the padded alcoves they have down there and decided to sit in one, it seemed so cute. I was working when I felt like something had bitten me. I looked on the back of my leg and there were two bites (see pic). I saw a small bed bug scurry under the padding in the alcove. I decided to go into the actual business center and finish my work at the computer. I was going to mention this to the lady at the front desk upon check out, but she never asked how my stay was. And she was pulling out draws and making phone calls to find out where the cookies were. We were running late and when she ducked into an office, we just left. We had had enough.

Overall, we wont stay here and wont recommend it. It in no way met our needs.

Room Tip: Floors 10, 11 & 12 are Hilton Honors floors ( so your room assignment would look something like...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Well_Traveled_By_15
Dear Guest, we certainly appreciate your feedback. I have to say; as soon as I read your feedback I started investigating. We have never in my two years at this property had a report of bed bugs in the business center. After reading your feedback I contacted the pest control company who came in immediately and thoroughly checked with their high tech equipment; they found nothing and I have the report to prove it. We take bed bug report very seriously; the good news is, this is rarely a problem reported in our hotel; but if and when we get a report it is taken seriously with quick action in the room and connecting room to eradicate this completely.
Chicago, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was traveling to the DC area for a graduate school visit, and originally had reservations for the American Inn next door to the Hilton Bethesda. Upon arrival to AI, I realized that I had been COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY lied to about the conditions of the hotel and all hell broke loose the first night of my stay when two men saw me going into my room and tried to break in shortly after. I'm a single female in my early 20s and was traveling alone, so needless to say, this scared me terribly. Once they left, I ran down the stairwell and out of the building immediately into the Hilton next door. Words can't even BEGIN to describe the level of professionalism, hospitality, and kindness I received simply walking through the door (not to mention the safety I felt!). I moved to the Hilton for the night and ended up loving my stay so much that I extended it for a second night. I honestly don't know what I would have done if the Hilton and their staff weren't there to help me that night...I will DEFINITELY be going back for future stays. My room was spotless, the staff was amazing, and the breakfast was everything I needed in LIFE! I'd recommend this place to anybody!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Naomi, I breathe a sigh of relief with you knowing that you escaped such potential harm. I am glad you ran in our direction for safety. Our team members are some of the most caring people you will find anywhere. The Bethesda area is usually a pretty safe area; I must say this must be a one off that you experienced. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope we will get to serve you again soon.