“Great Hotel Great Location”

Doubletree Hotel Bethesda
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, United States
“Great Hotel Great Location”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have stayed at the DoubleTree in Bethesda, Maryland on twice on a business trip. The front desk staffs are very friendly. I had a very clean room with a nice view of downtown Bethesda. On the negative side, the room I was in did not have a booklet that list local restaurants. There was an unplug fridge. Other than that, great hotel, I would book with them again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Doubletree Bethesda Hotel. Our first stay was lovely but I'm sad to report that the second stay was not so much. We checked in on Sunday evening, I confirmed our late check out for the next day and went up to our room to settle in. After about 15 minutes we noticed a mechanical burning electric smell coming from the HVAC unit. After a call to the front desk, maintenance came to look and did nothing besides tell us that there was no odor coming from the radiator and maybe we had the heat on (which at 90 degrees outside, we certainly did not). The real trouble started when we went to flush the toilet and found that it was completely blocked. Again, same maintenance man was dispatched and came to solve the problem. At this point as the A/C was still emitting an odor we asked to switch rooms. The woman at the front desk was very nice, gave us a new room and breakfast coupons for our troubles. I was concerned however when she asked if we had unmade the bed as she was debating whether to have housekeeping clean the room again! We settled in to our new room and ordered room service. I was informed that one of the items we wanted was unavailable due to a freezer issue. We selected something else and were told it would be up to us within 30 minutes. 45 minutes later we received a call saying that they had run out of another item on our order. As it was now 50 minutes since I had placed my original order and getting late, I said to please cancel the order. The woman was very nice and said they would bring up anything we wanted. I asked for a Sprite, ice and water. About five minutes later two warm cans of Sprite were delivered, no ice, no water. I guess that the delivery woman must have heard me complain to my husband because the phone rang a few minutes later. My husband explained what had happened and the front desk invited him to get anything he wanted from the pantry. He went and got some juice and water and we went to bed. About 20 minutes later, room service called and asked if we needed anything else. This was about 11:00pm. Frustrated, tired and disgusted we went to bed a second time, but not before we noticed hair that didn't belong to us in our bed. This morning I called to re-confirm our late check out and not surprising, the front desk knew nothing about it but did say it was fine. We spent some time at the pool but did not get in as it was dirty and had tissues and hair floating in it. My husband is a Hilton Honors member and travels frequently, always staying in a Hilton property. We were so disappointed by the service, cleanliness and all of the issues that we encountered in our one night stay here, especially considering we are pretty loyal to the brand. I had hoped that Hilton would do better, especially for it's elite members.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jwsee
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Although we arrived late, the welcome cookies were still warm, as was our reception by Al, the multitasking receptionist on duty. Al was also very helpful with directions and other general inquiries. Up at our room, we were greeted by extremely comfortable beds with crisp linens and four pillows in each bed. A cloud nine bed indeed.
The room was very clean (we got the "pure" room for allergy sufferers) except for the carpet which had a few spots, but nothing terrible.
The bathroom was also very clean and devoid of any nasty mold ring around the tub, which is always the first thing I look at in a bathroom.
Also, the environmental efforts (recycling bins and refillable toiletry containers) were much appreciated.
Overall, a great stay and we're looking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: The Pure rooms are great for allergy sufferers.
Green Features: Loved the fact that the hotel had recycle bins in each room and that it used the refillable containers for toiletries.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I came here for 4 nights and when I first pulled up people came running to get my bags. When I checked in they gave me 5 warm cookies. A couple days later I went to go in my room the key didn't work. The girl across the hall had the same problem too. Later that night our toilet overflowed and we called the front desk went down there twice and finally an engineer came up and he said it was fine and he would send up housekeeping. They never came to clean that up. Other than these problems I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Indycolts45
Mpls, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The DoubleTree on Wisconsin Ave in Bethesda faces a bleak looking street with somewhat scuzzy looking restaurants on one side and across the street. Inside was quite lovely and when we started exploring the next day, we discovered that the hotel backs up to a wonderful neighborhood with dozens of cute wining, dining, FIFA World Cup watching and spa options. The inhouse Starbucks is nice but only a partial menu, turned out it was just 3 blocks to a large full menu Starbucks. The fully ADA-compliant with roll-in shower room worked perfectly for my limited mobility spouse.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Parsons, Kansas
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We received a free upgrade because I'm a Hilton Honors member, which was a nice surprise. Our room was large and had a balcony, fridge and microwave. The beds and pillows were very comfortable, and they had plenty of accessible outlets for charging all our electronics, which isn't always the case. I had booked a breakfast special by paying $15 extra for 2 free breakfasts, which was a good bargain. The hotel has an expansive breakfast buffet with cold cereal, oatmeal, lots of fresh fruit, lots of hot choices, muffins, toast and made-to-order omelet so pancakes and waffles. Every single employee we saw was very friendly and made a point of speaking to us. The only negative I saw was the housekeeping staff. When we first got to the room, there was only one bath towel. After I called, we received more towels almost immediately. The second day we ran out of body wash in the shower and Kleenex. These were minor inconveniences, but they were surprising given the professionalism of the rest of the staff. The only parking is valet, and it's $23/day. We didn't use the shuttle, so I can't speak to that, but the restaurant is well located, and we walked to dinner both nights we were there. I would stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had an I pad stolen from this hotel. I reported that it was missed. I was instructed to send an e-mail to the Manager of Operations, which I did, I was told they would Get Back To Me. I have yet to hear anything from them, that was on the 28th of June. I reported my Ipad stolen to the local authorities, and to Apple and my cellular service. I reported this on Saturday, and gave the Hotel until July 1st to respond. When I spoke to my cellular service, they told me they could see that my I pad was used every day since I reported it stolen/missing to the hotel. I did not have anyplace to sit in my hotel room, except the office chair or the bed. Made it difficult to watch TV, relax after a long day. When I asked about it, first I was told there was no chair in the type of room I was in, I knew better because I have stayed in other DoubleTree properties in the past. When I asked again, (a different person) I was told they were out for repair, I asked if I could get a chair, was told they would look into it, never heard again. I will never stay here again, I go to DC frequently.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Togi M, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Dorish608,

I regret that you were provided with the wrong email address. The iPad was in our lost and found department and we were waiting for a call back, since we did not have a call back number on the reservation. After our conversation today, we have shipped it out through FedEx to the address you have provided. In regards to the guest room chairs, it is true we are in process of reupholstering all 270 chairs. I am happy to report that we are in the final phase of the project and many are presently coming online. Thank you again for your time in sharing your candid feedback and for your patronage.