“DoubleTree Bethesda”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbus, Ohio
“DoubleTree Bethesda”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The hotel is in good shape, the rooms are nice, and the staff tries to be helpful. It can get a bit slow at the front desk and it would help to have additional staff available during peak demand periods or periodically when several guest need assistance.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, TX, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was greeted nicely when I arrived and did receive a nice warm cookie. I liked that Double Tree gave me the option to upgrade if available after purchasing for a lower price. I got the upgrade and the room was really nice. The wine bistro was really great. The food was great, good wine and the server was very helpful. It was super close to my destination the next day but because I had to get there before 7am the shuttle said there was nothing they could do except for try to hail me a cab. After standing outside with the guy for 10 minutes and being late now I ordered UBERx who was there in 4 minutes. The shuttle service needs work as when I called to be picked up I was disconnected 3 times and dismissed as a caller until I arrived at their specified location (another call and waiting to talk to them again). Other than the shuttle it was a great experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Bethesda, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Bethesda DoubleTree on Wisconsin Ave as it was very close to the location of a conference I was participating in on Connecticut Ave. Although I chose this hotel based on its driving convenience, I was pleased to find very friendly and helpful employees when I checked in. I had recently broken my foot and was wearing one of those special klunky shoes, so had some difficulty managing a suitcase, hanging garment bag, and briefcase. The room porter and valet parking personnel assisted me. I would have like to have tried the pool but that will have to wait until next trip when the bones are healed! Breakfast was offered as either a buffet or made to order specials. Since I only had about 1/2 hour between the time breakfast opened and when I had to leave for the conference, I opted for the buffet which was quite nice with fresh fruit, several brands of yogurt, cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, fresh juices and coffee or tea. I didn't try the hotel restaurant for lunch or dinner since we were expected to dine at the conference center. After the last presenter was completed about 10:00PM, I was able to drive back to the hotel, review the days' accomplishments, check my e-mail, bathe, and crash in one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in lately. Due to the heavily scheduled conference and lack of any personal time on this trip, I would like to return to the DoubleTree Bethesda for a more leisurely trip. It is close to Walter Reed Medical Center and downtown Bethesda shops and sights. Some road construction in the area but nothing that caused serious delays.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 August 2014

It was a wonderful stay during the weekend. The staff is nice and the room is clean. They provided the nice serivce during all my stay. In addition, the location is very convenient. There are several nice restaurants near the hotel. Definitely will be there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Sacramento, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The staff, especially at night, were extremely unprofessional. The prices for food were high and not worth the quality received. They didn't have a room for me when I checked in even though I had reservations booked and informed them ahead of time that I would be arriving late. There were at least four other people checking in at the same time that the hotel also did not have rooms for. Two of the people had been sent to rooms that were not cleaned or had the carpet pulled up in. The hotel ended up having to put us up in other hotels. The hotel they put us up in was 10 minutes away. Our stay was for two nights so we had to check out of the other hotel, come back to this one and check in for the second night. This was very inconvenient and it felt like we were constantly moving around. The staff was very rude. I would NOT recommend this hotel at all!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Sarah D
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello Sarah D, thank you for your feedback. We do not make it a habit to relocate our guests when they have a confirmed reservation. The night you arrived was quite unusual for us; we discovered issues with three sleeping rooms late that evening and decided not to put our guests in these rooms. We were sold out so we had to relocate you to a hotel nearby for one night. We understand the inconvenience to you which is why we paid for your accommodation. We regret that this happened to you.
San Antonio, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The front desk is essentially pointless except for handing out room cards and processing the bill. I spoke with several over our 3 day stay, and none were knowledgable of the area, nor the hotel ammenities! Sadly, the were not even polite about not knowing what they should. I realize this is not a Four Seasons with full concierge, but basic knowledge of hotel info and immediate surrounding area is available at even simple Hampton Inns!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hi Lee, thank you for your feedback. The issues you mentioned about our Front Office team is quite unusual. If you read through our Trip advisor feedback about our property you will see that overwhelmingly, guest thinks that our staff are some of the more courteous and helpful employees they have ever met. I do take your feedback seriously; we will share this with the team and strive for continued improvement.
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We checked in on August 14th for a 3 night stay. Just the two of us (left the kids at home)! Wanted to explore DC with the luxury of time on our side and no requests from little ones!

Great points:

Easy to get to (we are from NYC area)
5 Blocks to the metro
If you walk out the back of the hotel - tons of great restaurants - the front area looks a little dull
Easy check in
parking - there is a lot across the street and garages near by that are A LOT less expensive then parking at the hotel - but we don't mind walking across the street (there is a cool app you can download to leave your car at a meter and pay on it as you are out and about!)

Downside:
Hotel AC/ Heating unit is LOUD!

We didn't use the pool or gym; but checked it out and looked great - pool didn't look like it would be awesome for kids (no steps - just ladders and water from 3-6 feet) - ours are 6 and 9 so they'd be fine; but any younger I'd have wanted a pool with steps to play on for them.

Also - if you walk a few blocks past the Bethesda Metro - towards the Friendship Heights metro (or take it one stop) - high end shopping ...

Also - in DC - MUST check out Union Market - in NOMA in DC - free parking...we actually drove there yesterday, left our car, walked DC, came back and had some great late afternoon snacks! If you go there - YOU MUST check out Rappahannock Oyster Bar - I don't love oysters but loved their peel and eat shrimp, crab cakes and clams - Great happy hour there 6 days a week from 5-7pm!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Sherry, we appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your overall experience with us. You pointed out a few of the upside in staying at our property; we appreciate that. Shuttle access to the Metro and walking distance to shops and restaurants are two great reasons for staying with us. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.