“Better than expected!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I was a little nervous after reading some of the "worn" reviews of this hotel. But I had a good rate and it was a last minute business trip and given the proximity to the Metro, I figured I'd survive for 2 nights. Well, it was a lot better furnished and way cleaner than I ever thought it would be. Yes, to a discriminating eye, the carpet was a bit too old for my taste, but the rest of the room was what I'd expect from an updated hotel. The bed had all white, crisp, clean linens. The velvet overstuffed chair in the corner looked like it just came off the truck. And after reading complaints of old tube tvs (which doesn't bother me, but it does "feel" old in a hotel) I was duly impressed by the flat screen tv that was on, waiting for me with the welcome channel.

Some outdated things that shows there was not a true attention to details: 1) iHome player is only compatible with iPod Nanos (Na-what? try iPhones guys) 2) the bottle opener affixed to the back of the bathroom door - takes me back to the 1970s when that was a standard feature in all hotel rooms 3) clearly some update on the locks happened because they forgot to sand and paint where the old lock had been attached to the frame of the door. I have to say it was a large, comfortable room. But here are the real negatives for me: 1) I could definitely hear the people next door 2) my room (912) was across from an electrical closet that made a buzzing sound - perhaps those less sensitive to electronic buzzing wouldn't hear it but after experiencing it to a worse degree at the Monteleone in New Orleans, it's going to be forever on my list of things that irritate.

I do have to agree with the other reviewer who said the staff truly go above and beyond to please. I came in after midnight and the reception staff walked me to the elevator, even would have pulled my suitcase for me, so that she could better explain the route to the Metro for me. Also, I locked myself out and while I have waited long stretches for security in other hotels, security came rapidly at this hotel. Plus, the open layout of the hotel which seems odd at first allowed me to reassuringly watch the elevator as I waited for security to show. I liked the recycling bin in the room, too. Overall, a good stay and I would definitely recommend and return.

Room Tip: Stay away from the "12" line if you are sensitive to electronic buzzing noises.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank blondemommy05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed for 2 nights over Thanksgiving. This hotel fit our needs perfectly. Arriving on Thanksgiving day, we needed a pool to keep the children entertained. The rooftop pool was quite nice with an accompanying hot tub, and there was a lifeguard on duty. The room was clean, and the adventure of the glass elevators kept the children entertained. A gift shop was open late for snacks and convenience items. Our package included breakfast, which was pretty diverse for a continental breakfast. It was a bit of a zoo scene at breakfast, tight area with too many people. The attendant was having a hard time keeping up with room charges, and one day pursued us to add a charge for the children when in fact all we had were the alloted items for the 2 person adult breakfast which we were all sharing-straightened out, but it was way too packed with people.
This is a large, busy hotel, not an intimate feeling if you are looking for cozy. The attached restaurant, The Daily Grill, served a very nice upscale American menu and my kids voted their chicken strips and fries as the best they had ever had. As a matter of fact, our next return trip to Bethesda the kids asked to go back and eat there again, which we did. There is a large parking lot on site and the Metro is on site also. Note, however, that there are at least 3 other hotels within a block walk from the Metro entrance, so it is not the only game in town for convenient Metro access.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Hotel has been updated in coomon areas, great staff, goes way beyond "trying to please"...rooms need to be updated, especially bathrooms (need more lighting, ceramic tile worn and grout missing). Location good...metro right in front of hotel.
Simming pool is nice but very dark at night, wight room adequate and can be used 24 hours

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Very close to DC - short metro ride, or can use car on weekends. Hotel is clean, friendly, great beds, great food in the hotel restaurant, nice inside pool with warm water, so we could enjoy swimming, and jacuzzi was hot and clean. We have stayed in this hotel two years ago and it is just as good as before. Have not tried internet because did not feel like paying that high for it. Will stay again for a weekend with pleasure.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Irina F
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel is functional and clean, but not luxurious. I'll explain: I have stayed at the Bethesda Hyatt a bunch of times. The staff is great. The lobby is nice enough, but the rooms need work. For example, my bathroom this time was basic formica cabinet and the garbage was a plain white plastic pail (think Kmart). It's fine; it works, but most higher-end hotels try to have the rooms look a little stylish. My room this time had peeling wallpaper and a towel bar that wasn't attached all that well. Notwithstanding, the room and bathroom were very clean and the bed was comfortable.
I have two important tips: (1) the price varies wildly (I've paid around $110 and I've paid close to $350 (most often around $220), and for me it's not worth anywhere near $350), and (2) the breakfast was unimpressive so if that's your thing you should look elsewhere (or stay there and eat out).
Its location is great - it is very convenient because it is directly above the Bethesda Metro. It's also a short walk to Bethesda Row with some restaurants. I am fairly certain I would choose the Hyatt Bethesda again (assuming the price is reasonable).

Room Tip: It's an atrium hotel, so corner rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
chambersburg,pa
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Sometimes you just have to 'get outta dodge'...when the hometown routine gets stale, it is nice to visit a bustling area like Bethesda. But even nicer, is not having to deal with the congestion that comes with a stay in Georgetown. The Hyatt Regency was reasonably priced and offers nice upgrades to Gold Passport members at fair cost. Since we only stayed one night the early checkin and late checkout allowed for 2 days exploring the area. The staff was very friendly and helpful with directions to local attractions. I personally love to drive up, give the keys to the valet and never see the car again when im in a Metro area. The entertainment within the Hyatt and nearby was sufficent to meet our needs. The Shopping was unique with lots of one of a kind boutique stores and an occasional francise retail store. Leroy the doorman was always ready with a smile and a hello, and enjoyed exchanging conversation as we would come and go. The Sunday Washington Post was a nice perk to go along with a lazy Sunday morning at the wonderful continental breakfast...not overdone but good quality. I stayed there once long ago (10 yrs?) it has changed a little but i was comfortable with updates that had been made and did not feel it was outdated. Bethesda Row is another story and review, and i would most definitely recommend the Hyatt if you plan a stay in DC.

Room Tip: upgrade to king deluxe with the brkfast was well worth the extra cost
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drsteve76
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda Maryland. Excellent staff, beautiful hotel, nice room, better than average continental breakfast (included for 2). Hotel is moments fom DC and (Metro) subway is right there. Parking is not included but reasonable at $12 for 24 hours and is located in garage directly under hotel. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance if you do not want to eat at one of the Hotel's fine dining choices. Hotel has indoor pool and gym. No fridge or microwave in room. Must pay for internet acess

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jeff4431
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Bethesda Court Hotel
#5 of 11 in Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott Suites
#3 of 11 in Bethesda
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!