Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I am not staying at this hotel so I have no comment on the accommodations. But I have been here daily all week and I have to say that the food may be among the worst ever. When you can't do oatmeal correctly or cook pasta properly, you've got a problem on your hands. I have attended many business affairs and have had many hotel meals but this one takes the cake. You are likely better with takeout from the attached The Daily Grill than the food from catering.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,761)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We love this location because the hotel is actually above the Bethesda Metro station .... couldn't make it more convenient! We enjoyed staying here the first couple of times last year, but the last time (two weeks ago) was a disaster. The first night there, I noticed a small (dime size) blood stain on the top corner of my white comforter (gross!) and immediately told the front desk. It was still there when we returned the next evening - AND our dirty towels had been picked up off of the bathroom floor and hung up for us to use again (no clean ones were left). I went downstairs to discuss it, and was apologized to (again), but the housekeeping manager, who just happened to be in the lobby, said to me (about the comforter), "Did you take it off the bed?" I just looked at her. Of course I didn't, and told her that we were on our way out.

When we returned after 11pm that night, the stained comforter was replaced, but our dirty towels were hung up AGAIN!! We called down and asked for clean towels, which were brought to our room promptly.

The next day, as we left for the day, I strategically placed the pile of dirty, wet towels and washcloths in the doorway of the bathroom. When we returned after a long day of sightseeing, again after 11pm, the towels were right where I had left them AND the beds were still the way we left them. No housekeeping at all that day! No, I'm not kidding.

After much complaining, and, no, I did not yell, I was offered one complimentary night to be used next time we're in the area. Really?

My final complaint is that there is no complimentary coffee in the lobby/breakfast area. As I was dashing out one morning, I grabbed a cup of coffee (all self-serve) and was rudely stopped and told to charge it to my room. $3.60

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CindyEb
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking a moment of your time to provide us with your candid feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. It is very disappointing that your room was not refreshed daily. This is not the sort of experience we want our guest to come to expect while staying at our property. Please know I have followed up with the Housekeeping Manager to ensure this does not happen in the future. Our guestrooms do have coffee makers and complimentary coffee in the guestrooms. Your feedback is very important to improving our overall guest satisfaction. I hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Perhaps I have been spoiled at other Hyatt properties as a Gold Passport Platinum member, but I was not impressed with this property. The rooms were okay but a bit run down. I had a delay of over 90 minutes for a room service off peak time dinner order on a room service order. The hotel had difficulties maintaining a comfortable temperature in the meeting rooms.

More of a Holiday Inn level of service than a Hyatt.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

I appreciate you sharing feedback regarding your recent experience at our property. I apologize that your stay did not meet expectations. I have shared your comments regarding the room service delay with our Food and Beverage Director. I hope you will give us another opportunity the next time your travel brings you to Bethesda to welcome you back to our property.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hyatt for one night while conducting business in Bethesda.

The positives:
Food is great! Try the daily grille and their 600 calorie menu. Perfect for a traveler

Location- can't beat it for the business district.

Cons:
Transportation is a nightmare unless you use their services. I recommends booking a town car outside of their vendors for the best pricing and service.

Service is lackluster at best. I was never greeted by an employee and the ones I encountered seemed hostile. Possibly a union hotel?

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This year on our annual "go to the Washington National Cathedral for Easter" experience we wound up at this property for the night before. We were a bit excited that we had been able to snag the Hyatt on a "deal", but the excitement was short lived right at check in. We arrived just in time to experience a hostile guest give fits to a frustrated desk clerk and to witness less then pleasant exchanges between the two. And of course while all of that is going on, the line to check in is growing and the tension was spreading. Finally another young lady emerged to finally get us checked in, even as the confrontation continued just beside us. When we finally got to the room, we walked in to a dank, damp and smelly room that at first didn't look all that bad, but upon further review we found a lot of wear and tear and a less than clean bathroom. Even so we were no completely unhappy with the accommodations considering what we paid for it. But the little things started to ad up. We chose to use the hot tub before bed only to find it no only crowded with kids climbing all over it, but the water to hot it nearly cooked us alive, allowing us to only be in for a short minute. Then overnight, and this really isn't the hotel's fault, the neighbors were so loud almost all night that we got very little sleep. And yet again, smokers found a way to really make for an unpleasant experience. For whatever reason, people were standing just outside the front door smoking and everyone had to walk through the stench to either go in or out, and the smell wafted inside and really funkified the whole lobby. Not becoming of a supposed luxury type hotel. All that being said, the location is great and very close to the goings on of the new Bethesda. It's probably worth a second try, but I'd hope the next visit would be better than this one.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We are in the tail end of 6 night stay here for April vacation. We booked 2 adjoining rooms, us and our 2 kids. The rooms are king-2 doubles, so it worked out well. The location is outstanding, right next to the subway station & 5 minute walk shops/restaurants
As for the hotel, the carpets looked new, & that was it, the rest was pretty outdated. This looks like a hotel that was built in the 80s and it hasn't been updated yet. However, I would stay here again

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Babakati
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed here this past week as a result of a priceline express deal. The rate was PHENOMENAL! I stayed with my 2 preschool age kids. The room was standard with 2 double beds and a clean bathroom. No complaints on that end. There was an indoor pool at the top level and a hot tub. Lots of fun for the kids. The location was OUTSTANDING! The Metro was an elevator ride away and we bought the day pass for $14 and were able to reach most DC attractions with a 15-20 minute ride. Parking at the hotel was about $25/day, depending on the day of the week. The hotel had a Morton's steak house and a lobby bar. There were MANY options for restaurants and bars within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again and reccommend to anyone. There were so many amenities offered by housekeeping, more than I have ever seen. They even had a flat iron to lend! Check in was fast and the parking guys were exceptionally friendly. Concierge was helpful also with dining reccommendations and they had metro maps/schedules on hand. Beds were also more comfortable than most hotels.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor and had no problems with it.