“Great Hotel, Great Location”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for four nights and was very pleased. I found the room very comfortable with all necessary amenities. The bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel staff was more than helpful and very pleasant. The location is ideal for visiting Bethesda. The metro is located below the hotel and puts you in the heart of Washington in about fifteen minutes. Plenty of covered parking for only 12 dollars a day. The Daily Grill located alongside the lobby serves excellent food as well as a full bar.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedbacks regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. It is always a pleasure to hear that you had a wonderful stay and you enjoyed our great service offered by our friendly and courteous staff during the stay, in addition to the great location and the cleanliness of our room and its comfort. Your positive and kind feedback were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you back in the near future

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (1,781)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights. was surprised to find the rooms a bit dated. no fridges, few power outlets, dated furniture. They also only provided complimentary internet in the lobby and obliged guests to pay in the rooms. The location is fantastic- smack in the middle of downtown bethesda and right above a metro station but the hotel is really old. walls are thin, staff wasnt overly friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, A Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Good Evening EdK541,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. While it's fantastic to hear you found our location convenient, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed with the amenities and condition of the hotel. I'm forwarding your comments to management of the hotel so we may take them into further consideration. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we may assist with; we are always at your service.

Warm regards,

Evan V - A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The room was nice and had lots close by. The staff was great also. I would def stay here again if in the area. They had a comedian show downstairs and it was great! Bethesda row was very close and easy to get to.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We spent 4 nights here over a May weekend for a family event which took place in the hotel. The hotel is a classic atrium Hyatt with a 70s look and feel to it. Our room was bright and spacious and the bed was comfortable. The walls are fairly thin and we could hear our neighbors from the bathroom. On the plus side, I would mention the helpfulness of every single staff member we encountered. To me, this is the most important thing in any hotel, particularly in a big chain property like this one. We had two catered meals in the hotel (i.e. the food was provided by the hotel's banqueting department) and both were excellent. We had a drink in the bar and the price was reasonable by local standards (Bethesda is a high-rent neighborhood). On the downside, the elevators are excruciatingly slow, you have to pay for WiFi in the room as well as almost everything else, and the prices are high-end. However, there's a supermarket across the street as well as many reasonably-priced restaurants and shops nearby. The Metro station right below the hotel is a real plus. Overall, I would stay here again, but not at the rack rate.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are convenient for families (more windows).
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I booked this hotel for meetings in DC, as my trip was last minute and all of the usual DC hotels were booked. While it looked nice on the internet, and while the neighborhood has great restaurants in walking distance, I was very disappointed in the hotel. My room was on the 5th floor and you literally had to run the hot water for 10 minutes before even warm water came out. I called the front desk for an engineer who came up to fix the problem, but he left me a note that "parts were on order". When I asked to move rooms, noone from the front desk even called back. Despite the engineering staff putting the shower back into working order, the hot water problem persisted. The AC unit is central, very loud, and poorly functioning. The concierge was never available, and while the bell staff were friendly, they could not provide basic directions. This is a 3 star hotel - don't be fooled by the Hyatt Regency moniker. Will book earlier and stay in DC from now on...

Room Tip: Ask for one with a functional shower
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here largely because I had a meeting, and the organizers booked the room. First, the good news: the hotel is well-located (right on top of Bethesda Metro), and the common spaces are well-kept. The hotel is clean and safe, and the staff is helpful. Now the bad news: the rooms are mediocre, and not worth the high rate the organizers paid.

My room was very large (good!), but had a number of issues. The bed was OK, but not great. The (flat screen) TV was so dark that I could barely see the picture; I'd have adjusted it, but the remote wouldn't let me. There was no plug on the bedside table, just a lamp with no plugs in the base. Not good if you want to charge your phone and use it as an alarm! The bathroom was clean, but dated, and the shower head was so loose (coming out of the wall) that the force of the water caused it to move. The room also had a strong scent when I entered; it wasn't unpleasant (it was a floral scent), but it was annoying. Overall, the furnishings were very dated (90s, at best) - the room could have used some updating. The room came with free Internet because of the meeting, but I suspect I'd have to pay for it otherwise - another strike against the hotel.

None of these issues made it an unreasonable place to stay, but it was definitely overpriced. If I return to the area, I'll likely look at other hotels in the area unless there's a very compelling reason to stay here.

2  Thank santacruzer_95060
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I would not advise more than 2 people to a room at this hotel. Their bed options appear not to include rooms that have 2 queen beds. Instead they offer 2 double beds. At little tight for sharing.

And for some reason, even if you get an allergy friendly room (and pay extra for it) they spray the room with scent! We asked them to not do that for the duration of our stay so it did improve. But for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would think it was OK to spray scent in a room that was supposed to have pure air!

However, aside from the limited bed type options, once they stopped spraying the hotel is a good selection. Clean, friendly and helpful staff.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends