“Great server, okay food”
Review of Bob Evans

Bob Evans
Ranked #63 of 122 Restaurants in Bowie
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

Came here on a Sunday afternoon and got breakfast at 1pm... Not many places in Bowie to have a sit down breakfast, so this was a good find. The hostess and host did a great job of bussing tables, and keeping the wait time at a minimum (15 minutes) for people on the seating waiting list.

The food was okay: I ordered the "Bob Evans Omlette" and some hotcakes... I've had tastier omlets and IHOP has better pancakes; the $3 a glass orange juice I ordered was watered-down and was pulpy.

The biggest bright spot was the overall service by our waiter guy. He name was Patrick - and he was very personable and friendly, catering to our two kids (ages 2 and 5), and making us feel like anything we asked for was no problem. I am in the service industry and noticed he did all of the little things that make a difference: he smiled as he served, he engaged us in brief, meaningful conversation, and was generally visible. He updated us on our order after 15 minutes and kept our drinks filled and refilled. If you want service that is 5-star in an otherwise 3-star establishment, make sure you ask to sit in his section.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

It was a last minute decision to go on a Saturday morning at about 9:30 am, which I thought was relatively early. The restaurant was packed, with about 8 groups ahead of me. I was seated within 15 minutes. I was greeted right away by the cashier, although she had a long line of people to check out. The hostess was away seating someone.

After I was seated it didn't take long to get service. Note that food portions are small (or I should say normal). You won't get huge portions like at many restaurants. They forgot the grits that came with my order, and I was halfway done with my meal before they showed up. The waitress never did bring the water I requested. She seemed to have several tables to wait on and I was glad that she checked on me every time she passed. I just didn't feel like reminding her about the water. She did pass me at least three times when I was waiting for the check. I noticed at a table next to me (different waiter) that after the food was brought out it took at least 5 minutes for them to get silverware. Just seemed to me very busy, they were turning over tables quickly, and I think they could have used a few more servers.

Overall the food was tasty, and I'd go again when in the area. Even though grits are just made with the grain and water, these don't taste like ones maid at home. They are pretty bland, ut they are ok if you fix them up with condiments or mix something else on your plate in them. I think the grits that came in a bowl gave more bang for the buck than portion size of hash browns I saw on other plates.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I had been on the road for two hours. Bauer called so I pulled off of rt50 and went into the nearest Exxon which had no bathroom. There is a McDonald's and a Wendy's close by but both locations were closed even though the time I visited was during normal business hours. My last resort was a bob Evans. I was sure they would turn me away so with my best attempt at supplication I asked to use the rest rooms. The attendant waiting to seat people didn't hesitate to let me in and went so far as to call me sir. As I was leaving I asked a lady whom appeared to be the manager for information about the McDonald's or the Wendy's. She told me that they didn't have power there but she could seat me. I was aching to complete my 4 hour drive home after 4 days away from my family so I refused. She graciously offered me a coffee on the house and wished me a safe drive. How's that for excellent service with a smile from a genuinely nice human being?

1  Thank DMLKAC
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Luv it for breakfast. Best Chain biscuits around, so fluffy and large. Tea basket is a great idea anbd I have tried many blends here. Dinners are OK and the $10 family meals are a bargain. Worth it.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

The service was fast and efficient for Sunday morning breakfast. The food eas enjoyable. Had advertised special "Farmer's choice Breakfast" with pancakes. Will visit again.

Been to Bob Evans? Share your experiences!