“Simple suite accomodations; great location”

TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bowie
Mount Pleasant SC
“Simple suite accomodations; great location”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed overnight on our drive south and would stay here again. Although the room is smaller than most suite hotels, it was nicely furnished and clean. The location was superb, just far enough off busy highways to eliminate traffic noise, but close enough to have no trouble getting back on the highway in the morning. We were pleasantly surprised that this hotel was so convenient to Bowie Towneplace, which is a nice shopping and restaurant area. With lots of choices for dinner, and a Starbucks for the morning coffee, you really can't go wrong.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RUADUFFER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Let's keep this simple.

1) Other reviewers are correct. This is an extended stay. This property works with lots of families/insurance companies when their home has experienced damage.
2) There is dog poop is a lot of the grassy areas although they provide bags and a dog trail. Keep in mind---my dog is here with me. We walk to a nearby lake to avoid the area around the hotel. I was also told I could not bring my dog through the front dog. Meanwhile, I've watched many other owners enter and exit through the front door with unleashed dogs.
3) There is a security guard here nightly. That's alarming to me. I travel often and have never have a seen a security guard at a hotel. That has me worried that this property isn't safe.
4) Parking is horrible! There are a ton of UtiliX trucks in the parking lot taking up a lot of space.
5) The smell of smoke is HORRIBLE!!! The smell of cigarette smoke is VERY apparent to non-smokers. I've called the desk to complain that I'm sick of my neighbors smoking in this non-smoking facility. These walls are paper thin....you can hear and smell EVERYTHING. The front desk never resolved the issue, never called back and never offered any other resolution.
6) I saw a roach. My husband dropped something between the counter and fridge. He moved the fridge to get it and a roach came crawling out.
7) Our garbage disposal was broken and reeked of sour milk.
8) I had to leave a note for housekeeping to change my sheets. I will have been here for two weeks on the 20th. I just kept noticing it didn't look like my sheets were changed. One morning I threw all the sheets on the floor thinking they would get the hint. They put the same sheets back on (I put a little mark on them to be able to tell).
9) The continental breakfast is a joke. You get a better offering with the to-go bags the Hampton Inn offers at their front desk.
10) The internet is extremely slow at night. The $1.50 washers offer one cycle that is less than 28 minutes long. My front loader at home has a 'quick' cycle that is 25 minutes. hmmmm

My family is scheduled to be here for a little while longer. Despite the inconvenience of moving two month’s worth of belongings for two kids, a dog, husband, and wife, we are transferring to a Hilton facility.

The value in staying at this facility is its proximity to Bowie Town Center. You can walk to Longhorn Steakhouse, Chipotle, Uno's, Red Robin, etc and shop at Macy's, Sears, Gap, etc.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Queenbabee
Reviewed 13 October 2011

As an extended stay hotel, there were many people here milling about at night like it was there home. Guys outside laughing and hanging out until I called the front desk and asked for quiet at 1130pm. Same people sitting in the lobby just chatting when I came in at 6pm, passed back thru at 8pm, and went down to get a water at 10pm. Room was clean. Internet was slow. Avg amenities. Pretty easy to get to Rt 50 and into DC in about 35 minutes (at 6am before major traffic). Would stay again because price is better than any other place in North Metro DC for a Marriott property but I could see the potential for a bad stay here depending on the type of crowd that moved in for weeks or months and if the internet was one notch slower, it would have been unusable.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank markfrommedina
Reviewed 25 November 2010

The room was nice and cozy, breakfast could have been better, there is no wireless but the cute girl at the front desk gave me one. There are a lot of stores and restaurants, cool pool and some really pretty front desk girls. I would go back.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank the_miller12
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We decided to stay at this hotel since we wanted to have our own kitchen instead of eating out at every meal. The hotel was very nice and the staff was polite. For our first time staying in this type of hotel, I would definately recommend it. There is a nice mall directly across the street as well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mrldisle02
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I had to stay here for nine days, due to repairs being made in my residence from an insurance loss.

Upon arrival, the room appeared spotless, minus the wall stains of grease etc., until I looked under the bed where I found items from a previous guest, which I delivered to the front desk, at which time I requested a vacuum so I could vacuum under the beds myself. The mattresses have absolutely no support, it may even be unhealthy for your back.

Another thing I noticed is that once the A/C is turned off you begin to smell a strange odor in the room...and it doesn't go away until you turn the A/C back on.

The parking lot has extremely poor lighting, and it's unsafe considering the location of the hotel, with the back practically in the woods. Some spots are so dark, you can't see your hand in front of you.

They only have an outdoor pool, that doesn't look very clean. I asked the lifeguard about the pool, and she advised that nobody uses it anyhow.

This hotel does not have wireless internet, and the connection that they do have is very slow.

One night while staying there, I watched the security guard get out of his personal vehicle, walk over to a bush, unbuckle his belt/pants and proceed to urine in the bush. I couldn't believe it was happening because he saw me pull up in my car. That was disturbing.

There are children running around with no supervision, and it appeared like they just lived in the hotel, meaning they were not there due to an insurance loss...they were just there.

There is no real breakfast, just cold cereal, a few bottles of orange and apple juice, instant oatmeal packets, and some muffins in plastic.

The furniture is old and damaged, they have tube televisions with a few Comcast channels, and one HBO channel.

I reported insects in my two bedrooms and the maintenance guy came up to my room and sprayed (Hot Shot insect spray from Wal-Mart) in the kitchen over my recycle/disposable paper plates, and plastic bowls, my pots, and food. And it's funny because he didn't get the bedrooms, although that's where I reported the bugs.

I had reason to believe that they came in your room, even when you had the do not disturb/busy tag on the door. Looking down the hallways reminded me of The Shining.

I honestly believe the cleaning staff does a good job, considering what they have to work with, and the front desk staff appeared to be very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Whowouldathunkit
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Stayed here for approx. 18 weeks while working on a project in Forestville, MD.

Observations:

Lobby: Quite small with a couple chairs and an even smaller breakfast area. Not that it would matter because breakfast consists of instant oatmeal, (3) different types of cereal, rotten bananas and prepackaged Sara Lee muffins. Workout room is small but nice with a couple treadmills, a bike, and some handheld weights. The laundry room is excellent. Three washers, six dryers. Never had the need to do laundry outside the hotel. And what you've heard about the internet is all true. Slow, weak signal, just awful.

Room: For the most part clean with a couple exceptions like a dirty eating/work area from time to time but not consistently. The beds are the worst. Don't know how else to describe it. Mattresses sag, pillows are horrible, blankets are not adequate AT ALL for warmth, just a mess. Television is old 27" CRT and several channels (HBO for one) didn't work on MANY occasions. Full size refridgerator and microwave are very nice amenities, though there is only a 2-burner stove, no oven.

Are you a Gold or Platinum Marriott member? Forget the upgraded treatment. They do not give you your automatic upgrade and if you ask, you probably won't get it.

Lets get to the "relatively creepy" part. First, on many, many, MANY occasions there will be the two kids of one of the night clerks sleeping on two chairs in the breakfast area. Not only that, the significant other would be sleeping there as well. Further, be advised if you show up there late at night, there might be a beat up old Chevy in the parking lot with a guy just sitting in there. Whether this individual is "security" is still in question but regardless, there was a "creepiness" factor that started to make me concerned about the surroundings I was staying in. The mall around it is nice, and the shopping is good with many restaurants in walking distance but, again, be wary about moving around this community late at night.

Overall: Room-Clean but not comfortable, breakfast-forget it, surroundings-ummm....yeah......

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Joliet_Scooter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowie
Comfort Inn Conference Center
Hampton Inn Bowie
Hampton Inn Bowie
#1 of 4 in Bowie
Staybridge Suites Washington D.C. - Greenbelt
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC
Courtyard Largo Capital Beltway
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center? Share your experiences!