“Bait and Switch”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in California
Huntsville, AL
“Bait and Switch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2007

I booked a non-smoking queen room through my company. I checked in, and I notice a little bit of an odd smell as soon as I entered. Sometimes strange rooms are like that, so I didn't think anything of it until I noticed the ashtray on the desk. I called the front desk to tell them that I had reserved a non-smoking room, and the clerk told me that they had no other rooms available, but that I could come down to the desk for some odor-removal spray, if I wanted it.

I should have known this wasn't a classy place when I stepped into the bathroom and noticed the plunger next to the toilet. Not a good sign. The toilet did back up, but I wasn't about to plunge it (that's what I'm paying them for). I told the front desk about it on my way out the first morning, and in their defense, the toilet was fixed, and the plunger was gone by the time I returned in the evening.

The breakfast was average, but the hotel was not very maintained (toilet issue, walpaper peeling).

• Liked — Proximity to airport.
  • Disliked — Reserved non-smoking room; given smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank 3dawgnight

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
california, md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2007

I stayed at this motel while relocating and for NEW YEARS EVE 2006. We enjoyed it so much while moving it became our home away from home.

Now we use the motel for our out of town guests.

Waffles, hot tub and pool are great also loved the GYM!

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Had to leave.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
York, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2005

This hotel was okay but there were some problems. Everthing was fine but this one little thing. I had just settled down to sleep with my family and had finally gotten to sleep when the fire alarm went off. This was around 12:30 a.m. Everyone rushed down to the lobby and was told there was no fire. The desk clerk said this had happened to her three times since she has worked here. if that's the case then why hasn't this been FIXED? We found everthing else to be fine. We asked for a discount and were refused. All in all if you want a fairly nice hotel but no sleep stay here.

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank Sean D

Travellers are raving about these California hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2005

I recently spent a week at the Sleep Inn and was very pleased. The hotel was clean and in a good location (i.e., close to shopping, restaurants and attractions). There was a nice sized microwave and refrigerator in the room. The continential breakfast included a waffle maker, which I thought was a nice touch.

The pool and hot tub was small, but clean. The work out room contained several treadmills and exercise cycles, but no weight lifting equipment.

I would certainly stay at the Sleep Inn again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2005

I stayed here in January 05 and found everything to be good. The hotel is very clean and well-maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a free continental breakfast with juice, different coffees, yougurt, bagels, donuts and a waffle maker. Breakfast is staffed so it is clean and someone is always there if you need anything. Free USA Today in the lobby. Free internet access (a computer in a little workstation in 2nd floor hallway) is a nice touch. Rooms have refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and hairdryer. This is the closest hotel to DAU and is about 3 or 4 miles above the Navy base. Restaurants and grocery store across the street. I'd stay there again on my next trip.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2003

I am a truck driver who arrives at this hotel around 6:00 A.M. about two times a week. After driving 15 hours I have arrived numerous times to find out they do not have any available rooms. (When they are to have a room reserved for us drivers by our company.) Also on many of my stays here, I have been distrubed by the front desk calling me for unnessary reasons. When I confront the front desk person on my complaints and want to speak with a manager, there never seems to be one on duty. I am pleased with the hotel itself but very dissatified with the service!!! I hope something can be done so I can continue to stay here.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near California
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lexington Park-California
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lexington Park - Patuxent
Extended Stay America - Lexington Park - Pax River
Quality Inn Beacon Marina
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
#1 of 9 in Lexington Park

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites California, MD - NAVAIR? Share your experiences!