“No surprises”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
“No surprises”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Attended a weekend cycling event based at this HIE. Located on Hwy 50 commercial strip east of Cambridge. Staff did a very good job stocking the breakfast despite a mad rush of yogurt & fruit eaters all at once. One nit pick: the single overhead light in the bathroom meant the tub/shower was a bit dark.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

Corina (hope I spelled that right) greeted us warmly as we arrived to meet up with friends. This is a quiet spot and I would prefer this type of property as my home base and then drive to the wildlife refuge or shore versus a tourist trap like Ocean City. The kids were able to swim before dinner. Next time I am in the area, I intend to stay here for the quiet location, friendly staff and well-maintained property.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Express last weekend. As mentioned in many of the other reviews, the staff here is exceptionally friendly and responsive. Got some good recommendations for restaurants. Our room was just fine with a very comfortable bed, nice TV, big tub, and nice lounge chair for stretching out. We get up early and are out and about all day so we didn't use the small indoor pool but folks seemed to be enjoying it. The lounge area is very nice. The location is very convenient to the restaurants and shops in Cambridge (not walking distance, though) and Blackwater. Breakfast was OK-serve yourself with plenty of choices. Perfect place to stay if you're not looking for a resort or B and B.

Room Tip: I think they have smoking rooms so be sure to specify your preference.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Greenbelt, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

With most of my elderly family residing on the Eastern Shore and me residing on the Western Shore, I visit frequently. I'm always welcomed to stay at a family members house, but staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge, Maryland is the next best thing. Everyone is so welcoming and Ms. Nakia Stanley is truly an asset to this company, she has the professional ethics of a 5 star hotel concierge, suggesting the best eateries, historic attractions or assisting with a simple date night. I can not wait until the summer, family reunions, fishing trips & boat rides, and guess where I'll be staying. Thanks again Nakia & Brooke for a lovely weekend!

Room Tip: Request a microwave, not sure why all rooms aren't equipped with one yet!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hockessin, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed in this Holiday Inn Express for a weekend trip to Cambridge. The hotel was an older HIE but it was fairly well maintained. We asked for a quiet room and they delivered that fairly well. The night was very peaceful. Everything in the room was in working order and the bed was fine. The bathroom was of the style there the commode and the bath were in a separate room and the sink with the mirror was inside the guest room itself. I have not seen this style in an HIE facility in the past or any of the other medium priced hotels where I have stayed. Usually I associate this style of a sink separate from the bathroom with Red Roof Inn or Motel 6. But this HIE had that style. This made the shower/commode room smaller than normal and I thought that was detracting from an otherwise acceptable room. The location of the hotel was right on Route 50 which is a well traveled highway but we didn't notice much noise from the highway. The location of the hotel was such that there were no decent views out of any of the windows-- mostly parking lots, retail building and the traffic on Route 50. I thought that the breakfast was below the standards I have experienced at other HIE's. The food selection was not as broad as in some HIE's and the omelets and machine-made pancakes they served had tastes and consistencies that were artifical. The area has a small number of hotels and the chains have pricing that is a little bit higher that what you would expect in a small town like Cambridge. You are on the Chesapeake Bay but Cambridge is not comparable to a beach resort area or anything like that so I did not see justification for higher rates. The HIE location was convenient to shopping, restaurants, and downtown Cambridge. It was also a short ride to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge and to several communities that front directly on the Chesapeake Bay. I would not recommend this hotel for an extended stay but it is fine for one or two nights.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear OldeBlueHen,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am delighted that you liked the location and room accommodations. However, I am sorry that our breakfast selection did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I received surpurb service from Korina. She was vary nice n helpful though out my whole stay. Korina adviced me where to find good local resterants, answered all my questions and explained everthing about the hotel that I needed to know.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank doom5959
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

I have to do a lot of travelling for work, so I try to balance cost and comfort. I have stayed at this hotel for weeks at a time and found it to fit my needs very well. The location is very convenient, right off of Route 50. If you are going on to points south and east, just hop back on to 50 from the parking lot. If going to points north or west, you can either do a u-turn at the light near the Hyatt, or take the road behind the hotel to a light which lets you turn left.

The parking lot is large enough for all guests, and well-lit. Access points to the hotel are all around the building, so you can gain easy entry with your room key. There is a gas station, Burger King, and Peking Palace within walking distance. The hotel grounds are well-maintained.

The hotel lobby is warm and inviting. There is a sitting area and a dining area. In the morning, a generous free breakfast is offered - pancakes, muffins, bagels, eggs/omelettes, biscuits, meat (sausage, bacon, and/or ham), cereal, fruit, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, juice and milk, coffee, tea - all of this is pretty standard fare. No, it is not 5-star cuisine, but I'm not dining at Le Meurice, either. And did I mention it is free??

I don't have much to add from what others have said about the rooms. The king-sized beds are comfy, although as Denaf pointed out you need to make sure the elastic bands have not come off. Some rooms have a digital thermostat on the heating/cooling element, others are manual. To be honest, I prefer the manual ones because I like the element to stay on and drown out any hallway or outside noise. One down side to the room I'd point out is the water temperature can be a little finicky. On the lower levels, closer to the hot water heater, you have to turn the lever almost all the way to cold before the water is not scalding hot. On the 4th floor, the water temperature is perfect and predictable. The rooms are always clean, and the staff go so far as to get fancy with the toilet paper rolls.

I have used both the pool and gym facilities. All equipment is kept in good working order, and clean. The light to the room is on a timer, so if you are on the exercise bicycle or walking to cool down from a run on the treadmill, it might not sense your movement - and turn off! Kind of annoying, but I usually just hop up and down a couple times to wake it back up. I did not find the pool to be cold (and I'm staying during the winter), but it was cool when I first jumped in; maybe the temperature could be upp'ed a bit. I agree with Saswan that the hot tub is a great way to warm up.

Last, but certainly not least, is the staff. Staff can make or break a person's stay, and the staff at this hotel are nothing short of wonderful. They are very courteous and I get the sense they really do want me to have a pleasant stay. I'd like to mention one person in particular. Most of my reservations have been handled by Corina. She is an exceptional employee! My reservations have been accurate, and she has been able to accommodate me when my schedule changed. She is very polite, professional, and friendly. I don't think I've ever seen her without a smile to welcome patrons. She is graceful under pressure: during one of my check-in's, a client had issue with her room and was irritable. Corina handled the person's concerns with skill, efficiency, and she remained unperturbed during the exchange. Staff like her truly make the stay pleasant and hassle free.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Comfort Inn And Suites
#6 of 9 in Easton
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
#1 of 4 in St. Michaels

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge? Share your experiences!