“Great location for bay area activities” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“Great location for bay area activities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We loved the spa, location and easy access to all of our friends nearby. Food could have been better, although the seafood place on site is excellent. Excellent service at Starbucks cafe. Spotless room. This hotel needs an update, especially considering the price point of the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
2 Thank Ashleigh10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My company, based in Washington DC, decided to hold our leadership retreat at the Hyatt Regency on the Eastern Shore. The location was very well received. There were plenty of activities for co-workers to bond over, including mini-golf, beach volleyball, and kayaking. Also, the meals we ate at the hotel were very good. This also seemed like a perfect location for families with young children, as there was so much to do on premise. I really enjoyed my stay.

Stayed July 2014
Trappe, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My family of five went to the Hyatt yesterday for a local getaway for the night. If you bring the family this is a great summer mini-vaca. The pools are incredible, the water slide, the vast layout, lawn games, beautiful views and frozen drinks, etc. They definitely have it figured out. The rooms are pretty nice, not five star but nice. The beds are not "ahhhh" beds, a little firm and probably need to be replaced. The sheets are ok, not great. I never understood why hotels don't use fitted sheets, we woke up looking at the mattress. yuck. I have a lot of experience with the Hyatt Chesapeake Bay and I am a big fan. I love the golf course and the people that work there, Chad and his crew are top notch. I really like the marina restaurant called Blue Point Provision Co, its a great choice. We ate at Waters Edge last night because Blue Point was closed. Its downstairs in the main hotel and I have eaten there a few dozen times. Last night my wife and I had a filet w mashed potato and it was real let down. The service was great, Jude did a perfect job but the food was really tasteless. One soda, one water, crab soup (awesome), and two filets was about a hundred bucks with tip. I was bummed about dinner because I have had good experience there. Not sure what the problem was.
Overall it was a great experience, the outdoor activities there can't be beat, it just feels like the crew running it could improve a few things and make it unbeatable.

Room Tip: Got a free upgrade to waterfront overlooking the 18th hole and the Choptank River. Gorgeous. Room...
1 Thank Eglzfn
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for a few days in JUL14. Overall nice property. Some pros and cons:

- Pros

There is a quiet area of the hotel with signs identifying it as so. We requested that area and it lived up to its name. Very good night's sleep.

The staff was always courteous and friendly. We bought food and drinks by the pool. When I mentioned I would take it to the room they right away offered to carry it up and did so.

The infinity pool was beautiful, perfect temperature and spotlessly clean. We spent several hours enjoying it.

Rooms are very nice and clean with nice amenities, shower, etc.

Cons

The employee entrance is in a very public area. You see employees smoking, coming off work in grungy clothes and generally looking "off duty". I don't remember a property where off work employees are so visible.

Food prices are very high for the quality you get. For example, we ordered a pulled pork sandwich, an Italian wrap and a Margarita - $43 before tip and the Italian wrap was soggy because it had been prepared way in advance. Luckily there are many good restaurants "off campus" - after seeing prices we ate all meals in town except the one I mentioned.

The reservation system was down and so was cable TV - you could get stations but they were blurry. Also no on demand movies. I'd never seen that before in a modern property. I saw cable trucks on the property so maybe issues were related.

The area outside the Spa was covered in bird droppings. It looks like the birds enjoy sitting/nesting in the eaves. Looks like they recently installed some wires to deter birds, but over three days they never cleaned up the previous mess.

So overall a very nice property, but some care and feeding needed.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet zone if you like that
1 Thank Jeff K
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were somewhat unsure about staying here for a four day conference. I'm not one for resort hotels as I find them more isolated from civilization then those in cites and prefer the latter. While there isn't much in the surrounding area to do, the hotel is well maintained, pretty, and the food better than ok. The view of the Bay was spectacular.
What impressed me was the staff. They couldn't do enough for us. Friendly, helpful, and quick. If we needed anything or if something went wrong, they responded quickly.
The breakfast room service was excellent and always arrived on time, if not early. I'm still thinking about the blueberry pancakes.
I heard no one of about four hundred conferees say anything bad about the place. I can't either. To the contrary.

Room Tip: Absolutely, get a room with a balcony facing the Bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
Dulles, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Family outing to this nice location.
Staff was mostly friendly. Room was clean, and they were pet friendly. (I hate leaving the best behaved child at a kennel.)
Overall, a great place.
However, it seemed that the spring break crowd was too much for them to handle cleanly at the breakfast buffet, that was included in our package.
One morning we waited for over an hour to be seated, while watching people ignore the line, get in the buffet, and just sit themselves down. A complaint to the manager of the restaurant only got a shoulder shrug.
The food however was pretty standard, but plentiful.
The omelet station was justifiably popular. Egg whites, AND Egg Beaters were available on request.
I can only imagine that going to this resort during less peak times would have been more enjoyable, since the staff (except at the restaurant,) were all friendly and courteous.
The other knock I have for them, the seafood restaurant on the premises, was less than average. It was obvious that the crab cakes were frozen, and that the pasta dish was microwaved.

The grounds were gorgeous, and well maintained. The private beach must be fun during the summer months.

I have already told all this to the hotel, and they have assured me that my next visit would be better. I'm just not sure that at resort prices, I want to take that risk.

Room Tip: If you can get a "water view" and at a higher floor, it is a nice view. However, the dog...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CoVFRMan
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Cam friendship is a camp for kids with cancer. I was a counselor this year and the 4 days were amazing. We went in the pools. We saw the infinity pool and I got in the hot tub. I was actually very impressed with the staff! I love the Starbucks in the gift shop on the Lobby, however they didn't accept my Starbucks card. You can go to 4 different restaurants in this hotel!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the bay!
3 Thank 27Princessbob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Days Inn & Suites Cambridge
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#4 of 4 in St. Michaels

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!