“Great Place but no customer service”

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
PA
“Great Place but no customer service”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night with our 7 & 10 year old boys on the way home from another trip. We arrived at 12:30pm and our room was not ready. She told me because I was a Hyatt Gold member that she would inform house keeping that I arrived and the room will be ready at 3PM, no luck, when I came back up at 3PM they told me the same thing however the time will be changed to 4PM. When I checked in from once again at 4PM they told me again they will tell notify house keeping and call when the room was ready. I asked at to speak to a manager at this time, and of course no one was available to speak to me, but they did give me $50 both rooms. I had to go back to the front desk at 5:30 to check because I never received a phone call, and at this point the room as finally ready. This was on a Monday check in, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near this place on the weekends.
When you drive up to the building the only guest parking lot is to the right, valet parking is on the left. Our room was located on the left side of the building which means that the parking lot was a good 10-15 minute walk each time we had to get something from the car. We took a look at the valet parking lot which holds at least 150+ cars, and there were only about 15 cars parked in it. I'm not sure why they can't share this parking lot with the guest staying on this side of the resort.
Rooms-They were very comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were a nice size.
Pool area- The kids loved the water slide and they had activities for the kids every hour besides swiming. Such as catching a crab from the pier, cookie decorating, games, tattoo's, etc..
Restaurants-We ate at the pool both days for lunch. The food was just ok, but the service was probably the best we had at the resort. We also ate dinner at Water's Edge, the waiter told us that they did not have a children's menu only a kids buffet which was $15 per child, and soft drinks were $2. The food on the kids buffet was hot dogs, kraft mac n cheese, hamburgers and campbell's chicken noodle soup. My kids didn't think anything looked good so they filled up on soup for $15. It turned out that drinks/juice boxes are on the buffet for the kids. Our waiter forgot to mention that. My husband and I both got a meal from their menu, and it was very good although not worth the price.
Activities-There is a $15 resort fee for the room, which includes all the daily activites, frisbee golf, mini gold, high speed internet, etc. This was a good price for everything that you get, I've seen resort fee's close to $30 per room and you don't get any of this.

If we are ever in the area again we would stop here. The kids loved it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I was very much looking forward to the quick getaway from DC, and promptly checked in online @ 9:00am, indicating I'd expect to arrive around 1pm. When I made my reservation, the website indicated their check-in time is for 3pm. We arrived @ the hotel around 2pm, and were disappointed to find out the room wasn't ready, and were told we could change in the locker room and store our bags until the room was ready. I did, but my partner didn't. The "locker room" was really just a bathroom with a single shower and 6 lockers. There wasn't even a bench or hook to hang clothes from / set your bag on. So we got drinks @ the bar instead... @ 3pm I ventured to the front desk again, and found many guests in the similar situation. I was told they were fully booked, and was told they'd call when the room was ready, that the guaranteed check in time was 4pm. And at 3:55, I received the email that the room was ready, but never got a call - good thing I had my blackberry with email capability! I understand hotels like this are very busy at this time, especially on the weekends, but it seemed that they had plenty of staff buzzing about the pool, and the bars and restaurants etc and maybe could beef up the housekeeping staff to allow for quicker room turnover?

Even though our quick getaway was delayed by the room availability, once we got settled in it was very enjoyable and comfortable. But there are kids EVERYWHERE - but they do have a separate area around the pool for 18 and up - which was a nice attempt. My partner and I agreed we'd visit again in the winter, when it may be less family oriented, and a little less hectic and more relaxed.

One odd thing: the staff seems very international. Except for the pool / activities staff (they seemed like local kids), the bar staff etc is very hard to understand and had a hard time understanding us. :(

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Our fifth time at this hotel. Always a good stay. There will always be negative reviews wherever you go. This past week seemed to be a very busy time for the hotel. Getting a lounge chair at the infinity pool was difficult, even at 10:00 in the morning. Bodies everywhere on Saturday. And kids galore. Good if you have them, beware if you don't.

The staff was real good. A little snobby, but helpful nonetheless. Lots of Europeans - not sure why Hyatt can't hire locals, given the unemployement rates in the US. But they are very helpful.

We did the Regency Club route - very good way to go. Breakfast was good - bagels, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee - everything but eggs. But real quick and satisfying. Well worth the additional price. Nice to go there and have that, plus the happy hour food and drinks. You don't have to worry about having happy hour in your room - you do it at the club, and the service is real good - very friendly.

Overall, highly recommended. Would suggest to the hotel that they add more adult activities. We liked the kids activities (my daughter does most of them and likes them a lot), but the crab eating contest was a lot of fun, as well as the cooking contest. Would like to see more of these to get adults involved. The kids liked to see that too. Saw a lot of dogs this time too - not sure what's up with that, if you don't mind it......

1 Thank djnyk
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Spent 4 days at Hyatt Chesapeake with family (wife and 10/7 yr old) - the whole family had a great time. Service was outstanding. VERY clean - restaurants were excellent, service at restaurants was a little slow though - I am not a golfer but did golf -course does not get a lot of play and the greens were very slow - but a very nice course - overall a great stay - especially with kids - you do not have to leave the compound there is more than enough to keep everyone busy.

New York
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Booked this stay a few months ago. I was very impressed by the econcierge service which allowed me to reserve spa, meals and golf online. I made special arrangements for my husband's golf, spa and dinner for the Saturday of our stay as his birthday present. I arranged it all online and received an email confirmation. Luckily I saved the email. When we got to the hotel my husband immediately checked on the golf only to find that the arrangements were not right. I went to Sarah the concierge and she told us that there was a wedding and she could not arrange to have my husband golf on Saturday morning. I showed her the email and she did everything in her power to ensure that our stay was extra special. She rearranged everything for Sunday and took care of some of our services and sent some special things to our room as an apology. She was fabulous and really made our stay wonderful. Anyway, my son ended up having a severe asthma attack on Friday night and she made arrangements for a very good doctor and had our sheets all changed to hypoallergenic. We wouldn't have been able to use the spa or golf on Saturday anyway. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly and will definitely return.

PA
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This hotel is pretty nice, but the room rates are extremely overpriced in my opinion. The hotel has wonderful pools, great for kids and adults, lots of activities to do, great poolside service for drinks and food, and the location on the bay was nice. The negatives were overpriced rooms with a hefty resort fee, and overpriced entrees for dinner in the restaurant which was a little expensive. I had a steak that was not worth the 34.00 dollars. The quality and cooking were not up to that standard. However the breakfast was excellent and the drinks at the pool were delicious. A nice place to stay for families if you don't mind the cost.

Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed 18 August 2010

me and my family made reservations to this hotel like 3 times its so so nice and relaxing the service was excellent when we first cheak in the atmosphere and lobby was so beautiful you can see the Chesapeake bay from there we they took our bags to our rooms and we went in we got a view of the pool and the rooms was squeaky clean the beds and pillows was comfortable the food was awesome and the pools was clean and relaxing they got store in the place so you dont have to leave the place. im coming back!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Best Western Plus Easton Inn & Suites
Oxford Inn
Oxford Inn
#1 of 1 in Oxford

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!