“Slow kitchen during nice weather.”

Schaefer's Canal House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The kitchen was unable to handle the crowds on a Saturday evening with exceptionally pleasant weather conditions in Chesapeake City. Took more than an hour and a half to get our dinner after ordering, saw other tables having a similar experience. Restaurant should not seat so many people if they don't have the kitchen staff to handle the crowds. Probably will never return again.

2  Thank Chuck942

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is our "go to" restaurant to eat outside. The view of the water and ships/boats passing by, the live music playing, and the yummy seafood is hard to beat. We have not eaten inside, but why would yoiu? The wait for an outside table varies, but there is plently of seating around a huge outside bar and along the deck rails. And if you snag a table around the bar you can eat there. I highly recommnend their seafood salad. You won't be disappointed. And you have to try their hot crab dip with soft pretzels and nachos! Outstanding. And if you come by boat, you can dock alongside the restaurant.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Visiting the new and improved Schaefer's Canal House was a pleasure. The calamari was fresh and cooked to perfection. Our server was exceptional and the owner even bought us a round of drinks. Clean, open spaced deck complete with conversation seating around a fire pit made the evening a success. Can't wait to go back!!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had Mother's Day dinner here. I had called earlier in the week and made reservations. The earliest I could have was at 7:00 PM which was fine with me. We arrived a little early and were seated right away. We were seated inside right by the window. My husband and son were thrilled it was a buffet. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. The food tasted good, but the hot foods were not as hot as I would have liked. A previous reviewer stated the little crab cakes had no lump crab in them. That is totally untrue. The crab cakes were filled with lump crab with very little filler. We will be returning at sometime to order from the regular menu and to sit out on the terrace. I enjoyed our dinner and the setting looking out over the canal. I would recommend this restaurant to others at this time.

1  Thank westtown_mom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stopped in for a birthday dinner. The wait for our food was horrible and the service was lacking. Over an hour wait for the appetizer, then another half hour for dinner, after complaining. After the wait the butter wouldn't even melt on the potato because it was so cold. Never got the second glass of wine I ordered or the burger I was supposed to take home to my son. Waitress tried to blame everything on the kitchen but they didn't have anything to do with bringing a glass of wine. Too many options to waste my time on another visit!