“What a treasure!”

The Inn at Mitchell House
Ranked #4 of 11 Chestertown B&B and Inns
“What a treasure!”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Some friends and I just stayed here while we were in town for a wedding, and our entire experience was wonderful! We were truly amazed by the beauty surrounding The Inn at Mitchell House - that coupled with its rich history made for a wonderful stay! We only wish we had been able to stay longer!! I definitely plan to return someday and simply enjoy the peace and tranquility of the grounds that are so beautifully maintained. The owners are also incredibly sweet and accommodating!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wash, DC
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We just came back from our 4th Memorial Day weekend at the Inn with a group of 8 adults and 7 kids. Every year gets better and better. With its saturated, green, lush, Maryland landscape, bordered by ancient trees and a neighboring farm, grab your book and drink and sit in one of the adirondack chairs by the pond. I have always loved this place for its atmosphere, the property, the quiet, the setting and most importantly, Jim and Tracey Stone. They immediately make people feel at ease and welcomed. Their love of the Inn is apparent in everything they do. Tracey makes the best breakfast on the eastern shore. The Stones' knowledge of Kent County and its history is incredible. If you want to go somewhere and unplug, you need to go here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Birdwhistle
Baltimore
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I planned a surprise engagement with my girlfriend of ten years, and, when I decided to share my plans with Tracy (the co-proprietor), she said she was "honored" that I chose her Inn to execute my plan. Tracy helped me plan the surprise, and she prepared spectacular meals tailor-made for my (now) fiance's tastes. The property was perfectly groomed, and the Inn was picturesque. Jim and Tracy provided warmth and kindness above and beyond any other Inn, B&B, or hotel that I've ever stayed in. Needless to say, my fiance and I will be returning there!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Baltimore
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We've been to the Inn a few times as we only live 1 1/2 hours away. This past visit we went to explore the War of 1812. The Inn has artifacts that were found right on the grounds. They have been very involved with adding depth to history from 200 years ago! And, as always, the rooms a beautiful, spacious and the breakfast incredible!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I visited the Inn on one of the coldest weekends of the year. What a pleasure it was to be met by Jim and Tracy Stone. The Inn is enourmous, beautiful, and close to the bay. Jim and Tracy are a wealth of knowledge for the area and can share with you a wonderful weekend of things to do. Whether it be a hike at a local state park (did it), shopping, local restaurants, or just a quiet day and the spacious Inn. Ask tracy about special places for crab bisque, and crab cakes. She has secrets to share.
It is such a beautiful area I am looking forward to coming back for the warm weather. I even am scoping it out for an upcoming wedding!

ps. coax Tracy into a meal. She can cook up a 5 star meal for most any size party.

Room Tip: get the room with a fireplace if you can, but all looked good.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have traveled all over this country, and the warmth and kindness that I was greeted with when I walked through the door was incredible. In minutes I felt like and was treated like family. It's a great getaway for any occasion, any time of the year.

The food was 5 star and Jim and Tracy were fantastic host. I never wanted for anything, they were both very accommodating. The history of the Inn if you are a true American, will set you on a journey of reflection and awe. You can't help but be proud to be an American once you have entered the Inn. It is true Americana.

The surrounding area and the town is like stepping back in time, a time were being treated with kindness and respect was the order of the day.

I was truly blessed by the friendships I gained while I was there. I don't think that would have been possible if it weren't for Jim and Tracy and the atmosphere they provided. All I can say is, I can't wait to go back with the rest of the family. Great time, great food, great company. Stop in and stay awhile and let's support some true Americans.

Thank you Jim and Tracy for an incredible experience.

Warm regards,
Joe Hastings

• Stayed January 2013
Ashton, md
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the Inn at Mitchellville, outside of Chestertown, MD. We stayed in the "Stone's Throw" Cottage, which is about 100 yards from the main House. Nice, modern cottage with a full kitchen and dining room table, sofa and gas fireplace. Lots of books, videos, games on hand in the cottage. Only minor complaints: slightly sulphur smell to the bath water (they provided jugs of spring water for drinking/coffee in the refrigerator) and no WiFi coverage out at the cottage, but there is WiFi at the main Inn.

The main Inn is an attractive old house, and there is a pond on the grounds. It is about 1 mile walk to what used to be Tolchester Beach, that is now really just a flotsam/jetsam-littered road dead end with a great view of the Chesapeake Bay. It is 7 mile bike ride to Rock Hall, on a back road with great shoulders most of the way and not all that much traffic. It is about 10 miles the other way to Chestertown.

Breakfasts each morning were great, with the Jim the husband side of the Innkeeper duo acting as a very friendly waiter. If you stay in the cottage, they will bring breakfast out to the cottage or you can eat at the Inn - which is what we did. The dining room area is small but only one other couple was staying there at the same time we were.

We have stayed in other B&Bs in the area, and this one is now near the top of our list. The only thing we missed is being on the water, either the Chesapeake Bay or the Chester River. Being this close to those and not having a view is a bit of a negative, but as a quiet place to base some bicycling and driving explorations it worked out great.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown
Brampton Bed and Breakfast Inn
The Inn at Osprey Point
The Inn at Osprey Point
#1 of 10 in Rock Hall

Been to The Inn at Mitchell House? Share your experiences!