See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I wanted to review this hotel because most of the reviews are so awful. I needed a place to stay in the Chestertown area on short notice - just an overnight crash. Despite the ratings, I booked the Driftwood. I don't think it is as awful as the reveiwers say. It is certainly an older, basic motel; not much (any?) money going into upgrades. But, my room was clean, spotless really. The bed linens were clean. The carpet was fine, not at all cheap-motel icky. The bathroom was very clean & the plumbing all worked. The window drapes were definitely a depressing shade of dark green and the room's overall decor was nothing to right home about. The motel is located behind a small shopping plaza that does feature a liquor store, so it is not picturesque, but in the end was not scary. The man at the desk was polite, not terribly knowledgeable about the town (could not provide a breakfast recommendation), but not brusque or impolite at all. You are near the college and less than 2 miles from the downtown where there are plenty of cute coffee shops etc. So...if you are looking for an inexpensive overnight stop in this generally expensive town, give it a try. Just don't expect the Ritz.

Room Tip: I had room 21 on the end. It was a little bigger, I think and in good condition.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2017

We were worried after reading some of the other reviews. The facility has new paint and new carpet. The owners are trying to improve the property. The room was clean. Not everything was perfect, though. The curtains, for example, let in too much light and there was no shampoo in the bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Jay D, Manager at Driftwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Driftwood Inn. We have tremendously made many changes to the motel and are striving to do more. The next stages are new curtains and furniture. Once all of the items are complete we will post new pictures online. Many of these reviews are much older when we had prior management and before the renovation took place. We are still going to be the most budget friendly place to stay in Chestertown being right across the Washington College!

Reviewed 24 January 2017

This is not a great place to stay - and not a good value. I would advise you to avoid it. The room is sub-standard. Friends had to stay here and would not reccommend it. The managament is not particularly helpful.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2016

I was down here for an event in Rock Hall, every place between Chestertown and RH was booked except here, camping 3 miles south of RH, and the HIE in Chestertown that wanted $200/night. This was $70.

I would have paid extra to be elsewhere.

When we arrived, check in took forever. I waited behind a couple for 15 minutes, then they finally got to me and that took almost 20 minutes to check in. They do not use computers for the registration, they do not have your registration on file if you booked through a website, they use your confirmation to rewrite the booking. Total sketch.

The claim was that they needed to check the ages of the victims checking in, yeah ok. I'm sure there is a fee they are trying to dodge.

The room was funk, on a level that funk rarely can achieve. We went to the store to buy Febreeze and microwave popcorn. We burnt the popcorn in the microwave before going to bed solely to overwhelm our nostrils' stank receptors.

The valve in the toilet was broken and repaired using vinyl tape, this meant it gulped and ran most of the night. That turned out to be a blessing at 3 AM when a patron was arguing in the parking lot about money in exchange for services with a self-employed woman. We had our windows open due to the previously mentioned funk, so we got to learn the expected prices of Chestertown. They were fair prices from what I understood as she repeatedly told him that she, "wasn't trying no games."

In the morning I went to check out only to find out no one mans the desk at 5:30 AM and we could feed the key card into a teller window. I called around 6:30 AM to confirm check out to also learn they don't have voicemail or an answering machine.

My takeaway is these guys are in this long enough to make it look not suspicious when it burns down.

Room Tip: You're better off sleeping in your car at the strip mall up the road.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Flemington_Diner
Reviewed 30 October 2016

Believe me I would have rather pay $200 more if I knew how horrible this place was. First it took the front guy about 30 minutes to check us in. The room was dusty and disgusting. We went to firefly the first day and then couldn't get into our room then after going back to the front they THEN let us know that the key resets everyday at 12 and I would have to go and get it reset everyday. That night I had put my firefly bracelet on the soap dish on the sink. We had gone then come back the next day and I noticed my bracelet was gone and the old towels we had used were gone as well. I went to the front to ask if anyone had been in our room very politely and the owner came out and started screaming at me in front of other people. Never has someone been so rude to me in my life and denying the fact he had been in the room. our last day he up and walks into the room after he knocked once with no time for me to get the door and let himself in and once again starts screaming at me that the checkout time has passed and we would have to pay extra. I had never been so disrespected in my life. What ever you do don't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends