“The better of the two hotels because of the superior internet service”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chestertown
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Suites and the Holiday Inn Express in Chestertown, MD on consecutive nights in August. Both hotels were immaculately clean, with neither hotel particularly better than the other. The beds, bed linens and pillows were great in both hotels. The bathrooms were clean and well-appointed in both hotels, although the water pressure/showerhead in the Holiday Inn Express was superior. The furniture in the Holiday Inn Express looked a little newer than that in the Comfort Inn, but there really wasn’t much between them. The front desk staff in both hotels were really great, although I have to give the nod to the lady working the front desk in the Comfort Inn on the evening of 8/26. She was incredibly helpful and a real pleasure to deal with. The parking at the Holiday Inn Express was to the rear of the building and after 7pm you need to use the front door and then walk all the way to the rear – not really a problem, but slightly less convenient than at the Comfort Inn where the parking is to the front of the building.

The biggest difference for me was the quality of the internet service at the respective hotels. I use T-Mobile for my phone/data and I found reception extremely poor in the Chestertown area and so relied on the hotels to provide me with good internet service so that I could catch up on work emails when I got back to the hotel at the end of the day. Unfortunately, this is where the Comfort Inn let me down as the internet service was intermittent and often slow. I found the best reception was to be found by sitting next to the door of my room, which wasn’t very convenient at all. This was a deal breaker for me and so I moved next door to the Holiday Inn Express and paid a little more for my room.

The Holiday Inn Express appears to be a little more expensive than the Comfort Inn and if it hadn’t been for the poor internet service I would have been happy to have spent my second night at Comfort Inn rather than have to move. If you don’t care about internet service I would recommend either hotel. But if you need a good data connection I would recommend playing it safe and staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Scurvyemu
HIEChestertown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Scurvyemu,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm happy to hear that you had a good experience here with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Chestertown, MD. Please come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This was a step up from my last HIE stay. The WiFi this go round was excellent; I was able to stream to Netflix and get email. Clean room, comfortable bed. We had the largest room and it was a good deal (weekday price). Quiet location and a decent breakfast.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MT147
HIEChestertown, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2014

Dear MT147,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and visit soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The front desk staff was pleasant, and check-in was a breeze. The room was okay, although the lights on one side of the bathroom mirror didn't work. The bathroom itself had a heavy odor of mildew, although none was visible. Sound-proofing wasn't great, so noisy neighbors at midnight were not appreciated. The free hot breakfast was generous and pretty good, as far as those things go. It just is a shocker to pay a total of $185 (after taxes) for one night in one of these places, but it was all that was available.

Room Tip: 107 is pretty near the reception area, so may be a little bit noisier than those on the upper floors...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn W
HIEChestertown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Lynn W,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry about the inconvenience you experienced with the bathroom as well as the noise. I will definitely look into the mildew. I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention as I would like to get them taken care of as quickly as possible. I am happy to hear you had a good check in experience with our front desk staff and that you enjoyed our breakfast. Please stop by and visit us soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The desk clerk is VERY friendly and very helpful. I would give this an Excellent rating because of her. However, the rooms need attention. The first room we went to 335 had a broken toilet. It was obvious that someone tried to fix it but gave up and it was never taken out of service. The second room 338 was a non-smoking room that someone smoke in and housekeeping used so much chemical that it was horrible. The third room, 305 was fine with one exception, I picked up the telephone to tell the desk clerk that everything was fine, but then I noticed the telephone had brown stick goop on it. This got on my face and was also on the handset and the phone. Don't worry housekeeping, I cleaned it for you. I took a photo (See attached). Housekeeping and maintenence need addressing in this hotel. Dissappointed, but I would stay here again because the desk clerk was so nice. I just hope the second stay here is better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank drgrossman
HIEChestertown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear drgrossman,

We value your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I deeply apologize for all the issues you experienced with our rooms during your stay. I can ensure you that your comments will be forwarded to the proper departments for necessary action. Set aside the issues, I'm pleased to hear about our front desk staff. On your next visit to Chestertown, I hope you can give us another try!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We checked in at 9:30 PM on Friday. Check in was quick and easy. After that, we had to parked in the back of the hotel and enter through the back door. Neither of our keys worked on the door (thus a "4" for the overall rating). Luckily another guest let us in. The room itself was clean, roomy and updated. Which is why I booked this hotel over the Comfort Inn (while $70 cheaper, it looked old and outdated) and spent more money! The bed was perfect and the pillows were very nice (they offered firm and soft options). The only "negative" is that my friend's key stopped working the next morning and it had to be reprogrammed. The next day we didn't return from our swim race until noon, and the hotel was kind enough to let us check out at 12:15 instead without complaint. I didn't eat the breakfast so I have no comments on that. Overall it is a nice hotel and if you ask me, worth the extra money to have a new, clean room, with a nice bed and pillows.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have only encountered 1 HIE that wasn't comfortable and clean, this hotel is very nice and I will go there again when the time comes. We didn't go in but the indoor pool looked welcoming and clean, the breakfast was the standard at these chains. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The area is limited for restaurants but you don't have to travel too far to find bay area restaurants or get to the Dover Downs.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wayne F
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We brought a group of high school students to this hotel on a weekend in April. Very good group rates. When we arrived, one of the rooms was not cleaned and it was replaced by a clean room. After that everything went smoothly. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
0 mi away
Hampton Inn Middletown
#1 of 1 in Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Edgewood/Aberdeen-South
Brampton Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown? Share your experiences!