“Wonderful visit! Very Courteous!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway

Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cheverly
North Tonawanda, New York
“Wonderful visit! Very Courteous!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Howard Johnson saved our vacation! We were driven out of our campground by ticks and they graciously allowed us to park our very large camper in their lot for 3 days while we finished our vacation there. The staff was very courteous, Russhawn at the front desk was wonderful!! Every staff there was very responsive. The room (512) was very clean and very well maintained. The housekeeping staff brought us extra towels without us having to ask, as they saw we had 4 people staying in the room. Breakfast was delightful and well balanced. It makes me sad when I read other reviews on here about the mean lady that worked breakfast. I met the lady that they are referring to, and she was perfectly pleasant and very friendly. The hotel had laundry and a pool! I will definitely be staying there again if I find myself in the area again!!!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Cheryl; Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review, we are humbled by the kind remarks for the hotel, staff and services. We are so glad the Howard Johnson Washington DC/Cheverly was able to save your vacation and you had an enjoyable time with us. I'm glad you found the hotel had every amenity you needed.

Thank you again for the warm remarks for the Rushawn, Housekeeping and the breakfast attendant, we will be sure to share your compliments with them.

We look forward to seeing you again,
Howard Johnson Washingon DC North
Cheverly MD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Hollister, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is definitely one of the better Howard Johnson's. First, the location is great. It is surrounded by greenery and pretty well sheltered from the surrounding roads. Just down the street are several restaurants and there is a metro stop to go to DC nearby.
The pool is HUGE (for a hotel). It's 7 feet deep in the deep end and there is a lifeguard! It was great for cooling off after a humid day in DC.
The rooms are fine. Standard. They have refridgerators and microwaves and cleanable remote controls.
The free breakfast is great with enough different food to satisfy different tastes. The eggs were funny, though, so I stayed away from those. One night, they had a BBQ for all the guests. They served hotdogs and hamburgers which is exactly what my kids wanted. At the end of the parking lot, there is an Italian restaurant that is nice, more pricey, but they let us split up our food with the kids (the side of spaghetti went to one of my kids).
There is a free shuttle to the metro which was invaluable to us. We didn't have to drive for our entire 4 night stay!
I didn't give this place 5 stars (even though I will absolutely stay here again if I visit DC again) because of some housekeeping issues and shuttle scheduling. After, they cleaned our room the second day, they didn't leave us any shampoo, hand lotion, soap, coffee, or toilet paper! A call to the front desk resulted in nothing so we had to go borrow from the room next door. I thought it was a simple oversight but it happened again the next day so we just found a housekeeper and got enough supplies to last us. The other negative thing was the shuttle return trip. The shuttle was 30 minutes the first time and over an hour the second time! We called the hotel as did several other guests and were told the shuttle was "on it's way" when in fact it wasn't. It was a bummer to have to hang out at a metro stop for so long. We could have visited another museum instead.
Other than that, the staff was nice and helpful and I overall really liked the place

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Amy; Thank you so much for the wonderful, detailed review of the Howard Johnson Washington DC North/Cheverly. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your trip with us. Sounds like you had a delightful time at the hotel and the accommodations were a good fit for you and your family.

I am sorry to see that housekeeping did not properly replenish your room. We will speak with the manager and make sure they are continuing to work harder at training our newer room attendants so that doesn't happen again. With regards to the shuttle, I am sorry for the inconvenience and delayed trip back to the hotel, it is difficult to gage traffic as it can change any moment, but we need to allow extra time to ensure our guests timely pick up moving forward.

Thank you again for your great review, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Cheverly, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife, mother-in-law, my wife's aunt and my 5 children booked 3 separate rooms at this hotel weeks in advance. Upon arriving and getting our rooms, we found out that my room (which I would share with my two sons) had no air conditioning. I called down to the front desk for someone to come check on the air conditioner. Within 15 minutes a man, who I assumed was the maintenance man though he had no hotel uniform or other identification on his person, arrived with several small hoses in his pocket. I opened the door, there was no "hello, I am here to look at your AC" or "I work for the hotel, I got a call that you are having trouble with your air conditioning", I got a simple, blunt "AC?" and he proceeded to enter the room. He walked across the room to the running (but not cold by any stretch) air unit and checked the settings and looked at his watch. He asked me what time I checked in (it was about an hour before the call was initially made). At this time he tried to remove the cover to the unit with his bare hands and when it didn't come off he hurried across the room towards the door and said "I have to go down to the desk, I'll be back". Almost an hour went by and not even so much as a phone call from the front desk to let me know the guy had even arrived. At this point my wife came to my room from hers and was very upset because I was supposed to be waiting for this imaginary repair man to come back and it was holding up our plans for the evening, including a trip to the pool with my kids before it got too dark and the pool closed. My wife called down to the front desk and got Monica (the same person that checked me in upon arriving at the hotel) and she asked where the repair man was and what was the status of getting my air fixed. Monica told my wife "oh yeah, we are just going to send up a fan". My wife became incensed. She asked that my sons and I be placed in another room with working air conditioning at which time Monica told her the hotel was completely booked and other room accommodations could be made. My wife told her that if another room couldn't be found that our entire party (a total of three rooms) would leave and demand to be refunded for each room. Monica told my wife that due to the length of our visit and usage of the rooms at that time (about 2-2½ hours), we couldn't be refunded any money because the rooms couldn't be refurnished and re-used that evening and again persisted that they would send up a fan. WE PAID FOR AIR CONDITIONED ROOMS!!!!! Why must this have been a topic of discussion when it was 90+ degrees outside. Finally my wife went to the lobby and talked to Monica face-to-face, only to find out that my wife had to wait her turn because there was another guest complaining about their room accommodations in front of her. Come to find out, Monica wasn't so confrontational in person because she immediately and miraculously found a room across the hallway from the one I was originally booked in that did have working air conditioning. Finally, after thinking our problems were resolved, we gathered up the anxious kids and headed to the pool. Another nightmare began there. The railing for the steps into the pool had come completely out of the concrete on one end and would smack you in your shins every time you grabbed it to enter or leave the pool (this is a huge safety hazard!) and the lifeguard patrolling the pool paid more attention to his watch (by the time we finally got to the pool there was just under an hour left to swim before it closed) than to the people in the pool and there was a group of kids (ages ranged from 12-18) that just ran roughshod over the entire pool, throwing a beach ball, jumping and pushing every one, very, very rude. My wife and I finally got fed up and decided to call it a night. Upon awakening early the next morning we figured it was a new day and maybe the complimentary breakfast might salvage part of our experience at the Howard Johnson. WRONG!!! My mother-in-law and her sister had already gone down to eat and were waiting for us in the small eating area. She greeted us with "do NOT eat the eggs! They have a 'taste'" Well, of course, that was the part I wanted the most and, taking her advice got a small bowl of frosted flakes and, what had to be evaporated milk. My son, however, took his chances with the eggs and found out my mother-in-law was right, he said the eggs tasted like "metal". The whole time you are serving yourself and eating in the dining area you were hovered over by a grouchy, older African-American lady that we called the "Breakfast Nazi".She would rush you through the line and sternly instruct you if you took too long at a station or, heaven forbid, spilled a little juice or crumbs on the floor.

My wife and I are not picky people, especially if we feel like we are getting a deal. We definitely believe in "you get what you pay for", but this was ridiculous. The rooms reeked of mildew, they weren't THAT clean and the hotel itself wasn't kept up with at all. We weren't looking for the Ritz, but I definitely expected an experience much, much different than the one we have. I will never visit or spend money at or recommend another Howard Johnson again. I have since gone to several sites to see what other reviewers have said about this particular hotel and I see I am not in the minority about my experience. And every review has a quick response starting with "Thank you, ___________. We appreciate your comments and valuable feedback but...." If you'd listen to the valuable feedback and fix your damn hotel, you'd have less crap reviews! And why not man up and say "we are sorry for your experience here have a stay on us so that we can prove your experience will be different" or some other form of way to show you actually do give a damn about the people paying your salaries and, unfortunately, keeping you in business.

Room Tip: Ask if everything in the room works before agreeing to stay in it
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jesse f
Dear Jesse; Thank you for bringing these items to our attention. Our guests expect a clean, comfortable room at a good value, and should a issue arise, for the hotel to handle it quickly, fairly and courteously. We did not manage your situation very well and I would like to personally apologize for the issues you faced as our guests.

In speaking privately with you, you are aware that I have reached out to the General Manager and asked him to contact you personally upon his return so he can discuss this matter more with you. Thank you Jesse for your patience and continued cooperation with us.

Howard Johnson Washington DC
Cheverly MD

Travellers are raving about these Cheverly hotels

Hyattsville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Front desk very professional and accommodating...he fit my family and I in the room of our choice on a early Friday morning. Everything was great until we got to the room and noticed multiple open condom wrappers around the bed. Looks like the room was never thoroughly vacuumed or cleaned. My sons took their shoes off and their socks were pitch black in mins so it seemed to me the carpet was really dirty. Other than that we had an excellent stay and would come back again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear vedaveda; Thank you for taking the time to share you trip with us. We'll take 4 stars! We appreciate the compliments for staff and services. We know that there is room for improvement and work hard to maintain the highest of brand standards and keep our guests happy.

We do apologize for the condition of the guest room and since cleared it up with housekeeping, they will be more diligent in their inspections of the rooms. We are also working with our carpet company to come in a do a thorough scrubbing of the carpets that will take place soon.

We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and will return again for a future stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is dated; but, the service is great! The free shuttle to and from the nearby metro station made travel in the area very convenient! The hot breakfast included with the room was very much appreciated as well. Thanks for a great stay!!

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear CNatL; We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Thank you for the great review and positive feedback regarding the excellent service you received. We are delighted to see that the services and amenities like the shuttle and complimentary hot breakfast helped make your stay 100% satisfactory.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in the DC metro area.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We traveled to DC to attend a Science Fair and decided to stay in this hotel since we had a car and did not mind not staying closer to downtown. The place looks and feels very dated, but the service and cleanliness were great.

We stayed for 3 nights and had breakfast everyday at the hotel but did not return to hotel until night. Breakfast was very basic waffles, eggs, muffins, toast, grits or oatmeal, juice and coffee.

Our two queen beds room was enough for our family of four. Old TV but kids only watched it for a little while every night.

Room Tip: Make sure you wake up early for breakfast because it can get crowded.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Fidel; Thank you for selecting the Howard Johnson Washington DC North/Cheverly as your place to stay. We appreciate reading that overall you had a pleasant experience and enjoyed your time as our guest.

We hope to welcome you back again the next time your travels bring you to Washington DC metro area.

Cheverly MD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheverly
Days Inn Washington DC/Connectic...
#116 of 140 in Washington DC
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,625 reviews
Upper Northwest
Omni Shoreham Hotel
Omni Shoreham Hotel
#64 of 140 in Washington DC
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,132 reviews

Been to Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway? Share your experiences!