“Do not even consider this hotel!!!!”

Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cheverly
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel 7/31/14. We were with a group and after the hotel by a leader in the group, we read the reviews. After we were assured by the manager Monika that the problems in other bad reviews had been addressed, we decided to keep our rooms. However, just like other reviews have said- the hotel room smelled of cigarette smoke and the rugs were so dirty that they were sticking to our feet!!! There was mold on the shower tiles and soap dish as well as a think layer of dust on the shower vent. The pool is empty!!! The evening front desk clerk, Hudson, who is mentioned several times for how rude he is, was very unfriendly to the point of surliness. My son and I both have asthma and when requesting another room, we were told he only had one other and gave me the key to a room to check to see if it would be better, that was in the bowels of the hotel, filled with black mold and the lights did not work! When I said that that room was worse, he said he was sorry but the hotel was filled and yet before I left the desk area a woman came in with no reservation and asked for a room and Hudson said they had several rooms available!! According to our contract we needed to stay one night and could cancel our second day if done before 11AM. My son and I went out of the hotel all day and came back just to sleep- we were so grossed out! Came down for a tasteless breakfast and cancelled our next night at 7:30 AM, well before the 11AM cut off. I was given my receipt by a lovely man and was assured there would be no more costs. However, later in the day when checking my visa bill, it came up that I was charged for an additional day. Now fighting that with them. If you think that this negative review is because of the bill problems, let me reassure you it is not. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Stay away from this hotel. The negative reviews written are spot on. As a matter of fact, stay away from the College Park Howard Johnson's down the street where I went initially by accident. They have a bullet proof glass in front of their front desk clerk. Doesn't make you feel real safe to stay there either!

Room Tip: Just don't go there and if you have to, stay on the second or third floor. You can see and smell...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Missy O
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Missy; Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay with us. Sorry that you did not enjoy your time as our guest we let you and ourselves down by not providing the high quality and exceptional service we are known for.

We will reach out to you personally to work on the billing issue and hope you can accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you faced. We cannot take back the experience you had, thank you for sharing it with us so we can focus on the areas that need our immediate attention.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I visited DC on business for 4 weeks. My company booked the hotel based on our budget. My first impression upon arrival was to find another place to stay. It looks a little run down. However, the place is more than adequate. It's safe and quiet. The room is spacious and the beds are very comfortable. There is a microwave and fridge in the room. The cleaning staff is excellent. The front desk staff is pleasant and accommodating. The hotel is a 25 minute drive from DC (without traffic) and there is a shuttle from the hotel to the local Metro station. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast which is OK..... Cereal, apples, oranges, bananas, make-your-own waffles, some scrambled eggs (which I've heard mixed reviews about), bagels and toast. Also, juices, coffee, and tea. They have a pool but it is currently under repair and has no water in it. If you plan to sightsee during the day and need only a place to sleep at night, this will do.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Wabjr; Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to leave your review. We are pleased to see that your extended time with us was pleasant and left you with a good impression. We do get mixed reviews about breakfast, we understand that and appreciate all criticism and feedback we receive. We will continue to do our best to provide a good variety of healthy choices and the waffles are a delicious added bonus.

We closed the pool in early July and it will not be re-opening, we will keep our guest posted about what we will be utilizing the space for in the months to come.

Thank you again for your business, we hope to welcome you back for a future visit to the hotel.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

HoJo was a cheap way to see DC due to the distance. It would take about 40 minutes from the time we left the hotel until we were in the city. The free shuttle to the Metro was great. The hotel conditions were ok. We were really disappointed that the pool was drained when it was the last week of July.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest - Thank you for selecting the Howard Johnson as your place to stay while visiting Washington DC. We are pleased to see you had a pleasant experience and found the location a good fit for you. We are sorry to disappoint our guests about the pool, it did close early July and will not be reopening due to a underground leak that cannot be repaired. We hope to transform the area early 2015 and will keep our guest posted about that.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed again in the Howard Johnson Cheverley.

Overall, pleasant stay and I want to acknowledge that there is progress there (have been here a number of times). Every time they have attended to something new. This time it was a new microwave in the room. Outstanding is the poor gym maintenance and now the leaking swimming pool (I hope I misread that it will be permanently closed?)

The hotel is unfortunately dated and one must realise that this is a two-star hotel with low rates. In a way you get want you pay for. I have read some harsh comments below and disagree with the viciousness of that. I come here every six months and the customer service is in general good and friendly. The food is fast oriented, but with good variety for a basic breakfast, including some hot foods such as grits, scramble eggs and waffles.

I completely disagree with their pet-friendly policy as this is probably the source of the odour complaints.

In the end the Howard Johnson offers you an honest deal and low rates. But is is a two-star hotel and a bit dated in a completely isolated area. You must be fair with your expectations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hi Chris; Very nice to see you again. I cannot thank you enough for your continued honest and candid review of the hotel. You have let us know over the years where we excel with service and value and where we were a bit flawed. We are pleased to see you acknowledge the efforts are being made to improve where we can. Thank you for the compliments and kind words for the staff and services.

The outdoor pool has been permanently closed due to an issue that could not be repaired. We will be updating our guests as we can in the months to come of what we will be utilizing that space for.

We listen to all our guests and we promise to keep working on the hotel, if you keep letting us know where you see improvements are needed. Thank you again Chris for being a long time guest of the hotel. See you soon!

Cheverly MD

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Worst experience ever! The lobby was nice and clean, but once you start walking into the hotel rooms there was a funky smell. The carpets were visibly dirty and disgusting. I had no phone in my room so I had to walked into the lobby to ask for extra bed sheets and towels, and when I did, the rude guy at the front desk asked me why I was asking for extras things with a very bad attitude. I'm surprised that they even have him there attending all of their guests. I would have fired him there on the spot! The free breakfast wasn't great either there were too many fruit flies all over the place and the food wasn't that appetizing. The neighborhood was also not that great, so just remember you get what you pay for. I would never stay there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!! Honestly I wouldn't even give this place one star, the only reason I did was because I had too in order to submit my review!

Stayed: July 2014
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guest; I appreciate you reaching out and expressing your dissatisfaction with your recent stay. I am sorry that we failed to provide you the attention you deserved when inquiring about extra amenities and services.

We know we cannot take back your first impressions of the hotel and please know that your comments have been shared with the General Manager. All we can do is move forward and let you know that steps will be taken to ensure the items you mentioned are remedied quickly and satisfactorily. We apologize once again for your unpleasant experience and do appreciate your time.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

After searching for a hotel that would meet our needs and price range, we settled on this hotel. Upon arrival, they attempted to charge us again for the room, although it was already paid for. We had requested a top floor, but were informed they were all taken. After a brief discussion, we got our keys and were off to our room.
On the way to our room, we journey down a long hallway and all of a sudden a dog, from inside a room, begins yapping. While the ruckus continued, we opened the door to find our room already occupied by another. There were clothes on the floor and the beds were unmade. We quickly returned to the front desk to find the staff puzzled by who could be in that room. They even questioned me, “Are you sure there was someone in the room?” The front desk staff, then, apologized and quickly gave me a key to a new room on an upper floor, which only a few minute earlier was unavailable. We were off again.
We entered the new room to find the air conditioner not working and a foul odor in the room. We adjusted the fan and went off to find the pool. We found a locked gate and a pool that was clearly out of order for some time. When we questioned the front desk about the pool, they said it had a leak that occurred the previous day. Please look at photo and determine that for yourself…
The last straw was when we called for a roll-away bed. Even though we checked earlier and were told there was no charge for the roll-away, when we got to the hotel, we were told it would be a $30 charge for the bed, per day. It was after this we decided this was not the place for us. This was clearly a deteriating hotel with staff members who lie and provide false information to attract customers under false pretenses.
My advice: Avoid this place and spend the extra few dollars to stay somewhere else; it will definitely benefit you in the long run!

Room Tip: avoid this place
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mark; I appreciate you taking the time to share what took place and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the many inconvenience you faced. We pride ourselves on delivering an exceptional guest experience and we dropped the ball on your stay and let you and ourselves down. We will take immediate steps to correct the communication breakdown that you experienced to ensure it doesn't happen again.

The pool recently was emptied and is now permanently closed, we are working as quickly as possible at alerting the websites that we can of its closer. Again, I am very sorry for your disappointing experience and wish we could have provided a better more pleasant stay.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a nice, clean hotel and it's easily accessible to the Baltimore-Washington Parkway which leads either to Washington, D.C. or north to the Baltimore, Maryland Area. The staff is very courteous and we had a pleasant stay for two nights.

1  Thank Jackie P
Sarah L, Manager at Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Jackie; Thank you for the very kind review and positive feedback for us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and a good location for your travel needs.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to the DC area.

Cheverly, MD

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheverly
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC
Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Days Inn Lanham Washington D.C
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area

Been to Wyndham Garden Washington DC North BW Parkway? Share your experiences!