“Nice business luncheon”

La Ferme Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Ferme Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 32 Restaurants in Chevy Chase
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Taylor
Transit: Closest metro station is located 1.5 miles away. Bus stop 3 blocks away.
Glenwood, Maryland
“Nice business luncheon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We gathered for a large business luncheon for 25 guests. Contrary to the other recent reviews the service was excellent. For a large group that did not preorder the food was delivered promptly and at the correct temperature. Taste and flavor was above average, but not exceptional. I did think that for a mid-town Chevy Chase location at lunch time the prices were quite high. Overall a pleasant experience, but a bit pricey for lunch.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Guy S

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Oh no no”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Why is the service slow-oh so slow and uninspired. I have no clue, why a restaurant that has good food and a lovely exterior and interior allows the service to be so appalling. Where is the owner? Maybe vacationing in the South of France.

When we walked in the person at the front was having a personal conversation on his mobile, did not look up or acknowledge the guests. After prompting, he looked up and barely helped find the table. The waiter while pleasant, had to be reminded to bring drinks, the bread, as well as the menu.

Now reading the other reviews-I see a trend-bad and sloppy service!!!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank DCMomInChief
Toronto, Canada
“Nice space, tasty food - but service that made it my last visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We were four for dinner last week on a Saturday evening, very up for a relaxed and fun time together. As we arrived (with a reservation) and one of us requested a quieter table, the maitre d' laughed and said that wasn't possible and informed us of how many people they would be serving that night. Wow. We were seated at a table for four near a door that lead out to what appeared to be an unopened patio area; servers would use the door and leave it open, making it drafty so we got up several times to close it. It was slightly noisy, but not crazy - except for all the times the piano player banged on the keys to play happy birthday - this happened at least 5 times. The servers gave the impression they weren't enjoying what they were doing, and made it obvious they weren't in a space of caring about the guests' experiences. One of our party's apps showed up as nothing he'd ordered... and the server wasn't apologetic but looked fed up instead. The correct order came later than everyone else's and was plopped down with not a word. The food was delicious, so kudos to the chef and kitchen team - but the front of the house is completely inconistent with the quality of the food as well as the price of the meal. I found myself thinking that filming the service would be helpful information for hospitality students on what NOT to do when working on a front of house team in a restaurant. I rely on trip advisor for advice when I travel, and I would advise anyone considering this restaurant to look at the many other wonderful ones in the area and pick one of those to go to. I won't be going back.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Stewsview
Toronto
“Good food, nice room but noisy, let down by terrible service = poor value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Four of us had dinner on a Saturday night. The place was packed from 7 until 8:30, and so very noisy, but then the crowd thinned out and the noise level was manageable. The food was very good, we all had different mains and each of us enjoyed the food very much. The room is pretty, a nice place to be.
BUT, I was shocked by the poor service. From the lack of warmth when we arrived, to inept and unfriendly service through dinner, right to a lack of interest as we left, the restaurant was undone by the poor quality of the service, VERY inconsistent with the $320-before-tip bill for the meal. One of the appetizers they brought was incorrect - no apology, a very long wait for the right one to arrive (my tablemates had finished theirs before the replacement showed up), and when it did arrive, it was just plunked down in front of me, no communication of any kind.
We were there to have a nice evening, so we all ignored what was happening, but I want to record how disappointed I was with the experience. I would not go back, and I would recommend others to consider their many good options before patronizing this restaurant.
(As a small point, we were also bemused and displeased by the way the restaurant's piano player would break into "happy birthday to you", at much louder volume, really pounding the keys. It happened five times while we were there last evening. It was intrusive, and unwelcome, especially after the first time or two. It seemed more like at what you'd expect at a chain family restaurant.)
Save your money, support a more deserving operation.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank tlman46
Chevy Chase, MD
“A First of Second Thoughts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My Francophile companion Yvonne and I have been going to La Ferme for thirty years and liking it. Its French aspect--both the cooking and the management--has waned over the years, and that's a loss. Invariably we find an inspired dish or two. We love their souffles. We never leave dissatisfied--or blown away.

With its setting, however, La Ferme retains an edge over most suburban Washington, D.C. dining spots. Just off the main road through a century-old neighborhood of Chevy Chase, it started as a farm house. Under its eaves, its owners installed a spacious and elegant, Franco-Victorian dining room. It is relaxing, comfortable, and, with more gray hair in there than any other hue, just short of stodgy.

La Ferme may not stand among the best of Washington-area restaurants, but we would rank it with the first of second thoughts.

• Visited January 2014