“Good in many ways...but watch out!”

Courtyard Chevy Chase
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chevy Chase
Nederland, Colorado
“Good in many ways...but watch out!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

Stayed 6 nights here in mid-May. It was expensive, but then this is D.C. There were many promising features of this property, physically renovated and under new management since we last stayed here in 2007. It advertises being "green" and was, in some respects (e.g. European style full- and half-flush toilets). Rooms were equipped with modern facilities, free internet, quiet temperature control. The service for breakfast in the bistro was quick, attentive, and friendly; the menu is limited and there is no breakfast buffet. It is a 4-block walk past ritzy stores to the Friendship Heights Metro station (red line). Managers were willing to listen to our problems and provide adequate, if not generous, recompense.

But one would have hoped that there had been no problems to make amends for. On check-in, about midnight, we discovered that our room lacked a tub (desired by my wife you had recently had back surgery). The night manager said that someone would immediately bring us a key to a room with a tub. Twenty minutes later, after waiting in the hallway, we phoned the front desk. Soon the night manager appeared, apologizing profusely for failure of his walkie-talkies: he had assumed we had been taken care of long ago. He took us to another room, gave us the key, and disappeared. But this room also lacked a tub! I went down to the front desk and the manager assured us that the computer said the room had a tub. He came up, saw that it didn't, and moved us to a third room, which actually did have a small tub. We were given adequate recompense: coupons for breakfast the next day and half off our room that night.

But that wasn't all. We found that the outdoor pool was closed though temperatures were in the 70s. We were told it was empty. It was actually full, but the doors were locked. We were told that we could use the Embassy Suites pool for $10; but Embassy Suites said they had no agreement with Courtyard Marriott and charged $20. Later, Courtyard reimbursed us the $20.

A phone set was dysfunctional, but repaired quickly. We couldn't turn off a message light and were twice told to push "2". Finally a maintenance person appeared and pushed "3" to turn it off. We had to replace room keys 3 times.

As an elite member of Marriott, we were given a card for a free small bottle of water "valid on dates indicated below...5/8 to 5/14." It didn't say valid on "one date" during that period, but that was their interpretation. Even worse was the coupon (given to members of our group at the hotel) for a free drink in the bar, up to $8. My wife ordered a whisky and ginger ale and I asked for a rusty nail (in fact, they lacked proper ingredients but substituted Cointreau and house scotch), and we handed in the card. The bill (before tip) came to $20.67! I assumed the bartender had forgotten to take off the $8, but no. Assuming a normal tip, they were actually expecting these to be $33 worth of drinks, subtracting $8 to yield $25. Such drinks would cost less at the Top of the Mark. Beware of free drink cards at this hotel (and note that the bar closes about 10 pm.)

I could go on, but will leave it at that. After talking with the acting manager during check-out, we received additional recompense on our bill. This Courtyard could be a fine place to stay, but make no assumptions.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank nedtraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Huntington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

I know it's a little farther out than most people think when looking for places to stay in DC, but it's a 5-10 minute walk from the red line metro and it takes no time to get into the heart of the city. I come about once a month and always stay here. The place is a Gold Leed certified building which means it's super efficient and environmentally friendly (they even let you take out bikes for free). The rooms are bigger than other Courtyards in the area, and everything is modern and "fresh" .It even smells good :) There is free wifi, great flat screen tvs, and a bistro. There breakfasts are good, with more healthy options than a few of the other local chains. I really like what they've done to make this Courtyard modern and new. Kudos - I will stay here whenever I can.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Wisconsin are louder
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ctedesco
Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

Located right at the end of a wonderful shopping area on Wisconsin Avenue, the hotel is well located for both shopping, dining, and is very close in to Washington DC without being in the city itself. Our room was perfectly adequate to our needs, a full breakfast was included and was very good, and the personnel were helpful and friendly. One problem stood out in my mind. I always check the fire evacuation cards on the back of the room door to see where to go in the event of an emergency. Our room was mislabeled on the card in our room. Had there been a fire and had we followed the directions on the card, we would have been moving away from the nearest fire stairs and into a disaster. A warning to all travelers to check for yourselves where the nearest exit is and be sure your fire cards accurately show where your room is. Also, there is a $15 per night charge for parking.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Elmhurst, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

Rooms ok except heater was very loud. Workout facility small. Bar closed early even though there were lots of thirsty patrons

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

I visit DC several times a year and have stayed in many hotels in and around the District. My daughter suggested that I book a hotel room in Chevy Chase due to its proximity to the metro for easy city access, but without having to deal with the hassle of district traffic for times when I require the use of my vehicle.

Pros: Great AAA weekend rate, much more reasonable than the Embassy Suites up the block. Clean, newly renovated, large brightly colored room with seating area/sofa, reasonable parking (for DC area) , free internet access, nice residential neighborhood with high end shopping and an easy walk to restaurants and the Red Line. Hotel staff were pleasant and a brief problem with a stuck elevator preventing floor service was handled quickly and with a smile. Parking is self-service in an underground garage that is shared with area businesses. When I arrived on a Friday, it was tricky to maneuver my SUV through tight turns and multiple vehicles to locate the 'green' zone for the hotel parking. If snow had not been in the forecast (and it did snow), I would have traveled in a smaller vehicle. On the weekend, the garage felt very isolated for a female traveling alone, especially late at night. There is an elevator with key access to enter the hotel but the elevator, unlike other hotel garages I visited in the past, does not automatically stop at the main floor to allow hotel staff to see who is using the elevator. This might be something they wish to consider to enhance safety for the guests.

Cons: I had breakfast in the bistro restaurant and the food is mediocre. This is a green building and as other reviewers have noted, the bathrooms only have stall showers. This was not a problem for me, but would have been if my husband was traveling with me. The low flush toilet (two different buttons available for liquid versus solid waste) did not always do the job well. My biggest complaint was the heating system. I could not adjust the fan or thermostat and by the time I realized this (at midnight), I was not about to call the front desk. The bed was only fair and does not compare to the comfort of the luxury beds available in Sheraton, Hilton or Omni properties. It was fine for one night, but would not have been for an extended stay.

I would stay at this Courtyard again. The price point, location and cleanliness (in this era of the bedbug) far outweigh any complaints I might offer.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank OTAWAY
tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

The hotel renovations were excellent. A significant upgrade from the former Holiday Inn. Rooms were very nice. Unfortunately, the bistro staff is very inattentive. I was treated very poorly in my dining experience. After I waited 20 minutes for my waiter in which 4 tables in the entire bistro were occupied, i got out of my chair to look for someone to take my order. I figured I would give my server a second chance after I placed my order, however, the server simply dropped of my drink and walked away. I actually had to get up and go to the bartender to place another order as my server was nowhere in sight. Once I completed my meal, I asked my server for a check, he dropped off the check and again, failed to return. I then got out of my chair for a SECOND time to have someone run my card to pay for my meal. I never received an apology for the poor service. This is simply unacceptable. I will no longer dine at the hotel. I will also let my employer know of my experience as we have a corporate account with the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank pakyerbags
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Courtyard Chevy Chase. The hotel is relatively new, having been gutted completely from the previous owners/managers (a Holiday Inn). The rooms are nicely appointed, if rather small. Best as a business hotel, but was fine for the family. A relatively short 2 block walk to a variety of restaurants, and to a wonderful Whole Foods supermarket with in-house cafe and deli. Hotel is located on a stretch of Wisconsin Avenue known as DC's answer to Rodeo Drive.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
#5 of 11 in Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
#7 of 11 in Bethesda
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,540 reviews

Been to Courtyard Chevy Chase? Share your experiences!