“Decent Run of the Mill Hotel”

Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chevy Chase
Brooklyn, New York
“Decent Run of the Mill Hotel”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here with my wife and toddler son for three nights while in town for a wedding. We arrived late and check in was seamless. We stayed in room 719 which faced away from the road and overlooked the top of the building's parking garage a few stories below.

Our room had two queen beds and we brought our own crib for our son to sleep in. The room was fine except for two things. One, the window could not be opened, which I found annoying, and the second was that the room safe was too large for the closet which prevented the track doors from opening all of the way. It was really awkward using the closet in this arrangement as you could not access its center. Other than these things, the room was fine. The beds were comfortable enough.

The service seemed to be spotty. On one hand there were employees that were great. When we asked for an extra blanket, it arrived with little wait. In our room was a small placard advertising some sort of Courtyard Child program. It said that such things as outlet covers, baby shampoo and baby lotion were available free of charge by calling the front desk. It also mentioned that we were welcome to keep the bath toy that was in the bathroom. Well, there was no bath toy. And when I asked for some baby shampoo, the woman at the front desk had no idea what I was talking about and after calling housekeeping told me that they were out. I have no problem with a lack of shampoo or a toy, just don't leave the placard in the room if the items cannot be provided. And maybe act a little apologetic when a complimentary item is not available as advertised.

We had breakfast one day in the onsite restaurant. It was decent food at hotel prices. There also was a small 'marketplace' that sold snacks and refrigerated and frozen items. It was a good resource, if a little bit pricey.

There is onsite parking available that costs $15.

The hotel is LEED certified which I liked.

I would stay here again if the price was right. Although my weekend activities were in the other direction, I would like the easy access to the DC Metro 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face west, away from Wisconsin Ave.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sundinkc
CYCC, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear sundinkc, Thank you for your review of your family’s recent stay with us. We are very happy that your check-in process was smooth and that our location, food, LEED status and accommodations were to your liking. It is an issue that our front desk clerk that evening did not seem to know about our Tots Travel Too program. I agree an apology is in order if something does not go right and I am sorry you did not receive one. I will make sure the staff is aware of the program, the items are stocked and genuine amends are made if we can’t deliver. Regarding the windows I too wish we had ones that opened! Our building design did not allow for this however fresh air is circulated in from the outside via our HVAC units as part of our LEED program. Our closet doors will close across the safe if they are each on the correct track. I'll remind our housekeeping staff to be sure to set the doors properly when they make the rooms ready for occupancy. We appreciate your comments and I do hope you and your family will return for another stay with us. Amy Harris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is an average Marriott. They thrive because of location, location, location! Great shopping, close to the metro, Georgetown, DC. I have not seen any upgrades since 2011 when they changed from a Holiday Inn to the Marriott. The bed is extremely hard, I think this is due to the fact that the mattress is on a board v. a real box spring. I did not sleep well the entire week I was there. I asked for a mattress topper but got a worn out comforter. The room was bearly clean, there was sticky stuff(?) on the carpet, dirt in all the corners and under the desk. When you are there for than 2 days, the housekeeping staff gets very light on the toiletries/coffee refills, I had to call the front desk several times for supplies. There is restuarant in the hotel but the menu is limited, expensive and that hasn't changed either in two years. I return only because of the convienent location.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, because of the location, your choices are facing the street or the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear J S, Thank you for your review of our hotel. Our hotel converted to a Courtyard Marriott in 2009 after a $35 million dollar renovation. With that conversion we followed the Courtyard brand specs for guestroom furniture and bedding. While it is impossible to accommodate all guest mattress preferences we should have definitely offered you a proper mattress topper (or even two) to make you more comfortable and I am sorry we fell short of your request. During your next stay please be sure to let the front desk know that you wish to have 2 mattress toppers, additional toiletries and coffee supplied on a daily basis so they can inform housekeeping of your preference. Also, our wait staff should be advising you of the amazing specials that our Chef makes fresh each day for each meal. This should give you more variety if you are staying for more than a day or two. We are happy you like our convenient location and hope you will return soon. Amy Harris
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed one night- the hotel is near the Friendship Heights Metro, five minutes walk. The location is good, you can easily get to the heart of Bethesda or keep heading into the district which is literally a few feet away to the line.

Nice interior, clean and modern. I found the hotel to be a bit noisy though, I could hear through the walls and my neighbors conversation. Also the hum of the elevators was a bit annoying if your near them (I was one room away). Rooms were on the small side.

A good option but dont expect anything too special here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank flipper95
CYCC, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear flipper95, Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad you found our location convenient to the heart of Bethesda and to Washington, D.C. It is also nice to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and modern. We do apologize for the elevator noise you experienced during your stay. We understand that some guests who stay in the rooms adjacent to the elevators hear a humming noise and are we are very sorry that you were disturbed. We hope that the things you enjoyed about our hotel will bring you back for another stay and ask that you request "a room away from the elevators" during the reservation process. We will do our very best to accommodate your request based on the availability at the time of your stay. Amy Harris
Kirkland, WA
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The exterior of the hotel does not look welcoming, but thankfully, the rooms have been updated. The bed was comfortable and the amenities were pretty typical for a Courtyard property. The service I experienced was mixed—some friendly and helpful, some seemed to be put out by simple questions. The breakfast was not special, but it’s easy to pick up some yogurt or a pastry at the nearby Starbucks for a quick breakfast (there is also a Whole Foods nearby).

The hotel is located right on Wisconsin Avenue, near some higher end shops, average restaurants, and a few blocks from the Friendship Heights metro stop (~20 minute ride into the District center). I wouldn’t ordinarily stay in this neighborhood if visiting DC, but this was close to business meetings—there were some properties at a comparable price closer to the District.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask to be away from Wisconsin Avenue.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kirklandkat
CYCC, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Kirklandkat, Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are happy that you found our beds to be comfortable and the amenities to your liking. We are also pleased that you enjoyed the convenience of our location near shops, restaurants and metro. We are not so happy about the mixed levels of service you received from our staff during your stay as we strive to hire engaging, friendly and professional employees. We will most definitely address this with our staff and review our standards of conduct during our next staff meeting. We hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you have business in the area. If you do stay please be sure to review our full breakfast menu in the restaurant. We have grab 'n go items at the counter but you can be seated and enjoy everything from muffins to a Full American Breakfast at your leisure. Amy Harris
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times, but only for one night each time. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. They accomodated me with an 11 a.m. check in without any charge. The hotel is located in an area that would be a high-end retail shoppers dream (Saks, Cartier, Jimmy Choo, Tiffany's and others within very easy walking distance). The room was a good size, well appointed and very clean. I have not tried the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. A nice added touch - computers and printer just off the front lobby main doors where you can print your boarding pass!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Spent 2 nights while in area for business; location great for work and walking around for shopping and dining. Welcoming, parking and breakfast were fine, but 2 events are worth mentioning: 1. a phone call at 3 AM informing us of breakfast options, and 2. the wall where the bed was placed is next to the fitness center so treadmill sound awoke us at 5:30 AM after the 3 AM phone call. Not a good night! Second night was quieter after 10 PM when halls finally quieten down from children playing soccer in the halls.

DO NOT STAY in room 320. I will stay there again on next business trip but will not stay on that end of the 3rd floor.

2 Thank QueenBee0301
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stay here a lot, the location is good, parking is easy, staff are great, standards are always high. They have shoved the rates up in the last couple of years and I really should find somewhere else but there are no disappointments and it is very well run

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, the view is slightly nicer if you overlook Wisconsin Ave
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chevy Chase
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion
Bethesda Court Hotel
#5 of 11 in Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
#7 of 11 in Bethesda

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase? Share your experiences!