The Cherry Tree Inn
The Catherine Wheel(Henley-on-Thames)
Phyllis Court Club(Henley-on-Thames)
Hotel du Vin(Henley-on-Thames)
  • Restaurant
The Red Lion Hotel(Henley-on-Thames)
  • Restaurant
Perch and Pike(South Stoke)
Weir View House(Pangbourne)
The George Hotel(Pangbourne)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubcherry treerisottolog fireon arrivalsunday lunchfamily weddingshort drivestayed for one nighthenley on thamesshort stayfollowing morningsandwichespoached eggsfull englishtroutcheryl
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We very much enjoyed our whole experience at The Cherry Tree Inn.
The accomodation was spotless & very comfortable.
Our evening meal was delicious and a mix up on the wine order was sorted in our favour.
As we were en route cycling to Oxford we couldn't take advantage of their generous check-out time for Satrudays but we were happily on our way after a relaxed & tasty breakfast complete with plentiful papers available.
Minor complaint - the poached eggs were slightly too vinegary.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We decided to stay at the Cherry Tree Inn based on a recommendation in the excellent book "Room at the Inn". Unfortunately, due to apalling weather conditions and heavy snow across the Chilterns, it was not possible for us to reach the Inn and had to cancel the reservation. Upon cancelling we were told that there would be no problem. However, I later found that we had been charged for the night's stay. I have tried to contact the manager several times by e-mail, telephone, letter and via AMEX. The manager has not bothered to respond. Clearly, I am not able to comment on the quality of the inn, which may indeed be exceptional. However based on the attention to customer service provided by the manager, I would not recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ChrisCheddington
coatesey, Owner at The Cherry Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

This Gentleman cancelled his Saturday Night Booking on Saturday Morning. He had read the cancellation policy of 48 Hours. He Blamed the bad weather & snow, I drove in to work along the same route and it was fine, It had not snowed that day. All my food deliveries from London arrived in the morning on time. I did offer to honor the booking for another day but he was not interested. I dont see how you can review a B&B without going there!!

Reviewed 3 May 2011

A lovely little room with a comfy bed and tasteful decor followed by a delicious breakfast. The kind of breakfast that you don't have very often - 100% hangover delight, without the grease: sagey sausage, crispy bacon, beautifully poached egg, oyster mushrooms and lots of fresh brown toast and orange juice - YUM!

The bathroom was also well thought out and clean. I stupidly managed to pay once online and then again when leaving, but they could have checked too as it was a while back that I booked it.

Only issue was a lack of hot water for showing in the morning, but we had had a hot bath the night before so it didn't matter. The manager said that the boiler was going to be looked at...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Read reviews and decided to look at website for the Inn. There was one room available for the next night, so I called the Inn to confirm that it was still available. I was told that "If it is on the website then it would be OK" So I booked "Plum" with a King Bed, Flat screen TV, Molton Brown Toiletries, a table for dinner and approx arrival 15.00hr. Confirmation came through for all the above.
As it was a nice day we spent some time in Marlow and thought it polite to call the Inn to say we would not arrive until around 17.30. The didn`t seem to know what I was talking about, but assumed I had got a casual worker. When we did arrive they still seemed a bit uncertain so I gave them my confirmation. I was asked if I would like a table for dinner, and replied that I had already booked it. We were shown to our room "Walnut", I mentioned that I had booked "Plum", but was told that all rooms were the same. When we looked around the room, the bed was certainly not "King", the TV was not "Flat Screen". I went back to reception and pointed out what my booking said, and that if "all rooms were the same" then their website was misleading - I was told that the owner would be informed.
Putting two and two together I concluded that they had not picked up our booking, and when we went in to dinner I asked one of the staff to be honest with me, and they admitted that they had not expected us. We were given an apology and our glass of wine each was given complimentary, which was a nice gesture, but being honest when we arrived would have saved a lot of issues on both sides - mistakes happen, being "upfront" is usually appreciated.
As there are only four rooms were were lucky that only three had been booked!!
The restaurant for dinner was very busy and the food was good. The staff were efficient and very pleasant.
Breakfast - ummm - a bit hit and miss. We arrrived at 09.00 which is when breakfast starts. I had no cutlery. Waited approx 30 min for my "Full Monty" which would not have impressed the average male, expecting a hearty breakfast - One sausage, one streaky rasher, one egg, half a tomato and a large mushroom, and a miniscule piece of balck pudding. I asked for toast and got one slice ( between us). As there were only eight guests in total, I would have expected at least for the tables to be laid in advance.

To sum up:
Had we had all that was promised I would say it was good value. The rooms were small, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom had a brilliant shower - (but it would have been nice to have the promised Molton Brown in the form of shower gel, and not hand wash, which was over the sink and not moveable!), lovely towels and spotlessly clean. It was a quiet location, easy parking.
More attention to detail, a more structured breakfast, and correct information on website and it would be a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Don`t rely on booking on the website.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We arrived at about 12.30pm for Sunday lunch on a beautiful sunny day as we thought it would be a great place to sit outside. We'd been before for lunch and had really enjoyed it. First problem... we're both vegetarian so not many choices on the menu. My partner ordered the spaghetti with oyster mushrooms and truffle sauce - all fine. I ordered the Sunday lunch without meat and asked if the gravy was made with meat juices. One of the waiters jumped in (two earrings... if he'd had three ears he would have had three earrings) he said all our gravies are made with meat LOTS OF MEAT! When asked if the chef could do a red wine sauce or something like that he said he would ask. Food arrived, dry and gravy-less. Waiter said he could get me a sauce and when asked he suggested mustard or tomato ketchup... then when I asked further he said I could have a cassis jus! Blackcurrent sauce on my Sunday roast?? He was so taking the michael (for want of a better expression)!!! Vegetarians beware... This place (or just that waiter) discriminates!! Oh...he took great pleasure in telling me their gravies were made with veal juices... I don't want to change the world and make everybody vegetarian but I do expect my views to be respected or just told no we don't do vegetarian food and then we would have gone elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple