“Just went there for a meal...”

The Cherry Tree Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stoke Row
South of England
“Just went there for a meal...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We booked the meal Groupon offer (2 x 2 course meals including a glass of wine each for £25), food was OK but no vegetarian starter and only one vegetarian main course. As I eat very little meat or fish this was not much choice for me.

My partner ordered the 12 oz rib eye steak on my advice as I knew from the groupon offer terms that the 16 oz steak would carry a £3.50 surcharge. We also ordered 2 extra glasses of wine which my partner paid for. I later found out that he had been charged the £3.50 surcharge even though he had the smaller steak. He had also been charged a whopping £5.90 a glass for the wine - 250 ml glasses of Grenache-Merlot - which is currently listed at £4.90 a glass on their website. We won't be going back!

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sweetmelissa9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

We booked the meal Groupon offer (2 * 2 course meal including a glass of wine for £25), and because the area itself looked nice we also decided to book an overnight stay. This was £95 for a room including breakfast. We booked the "Plum Room" using their website.

On arrival the staff were expecting us and had our lunch, dinner and room reservation info available, and were extremely friendly and helpful. Attentive service through lunch and the food was delicious - we eat out regularly and it was a high quality menu. I had leek and blue cheese tart to start, followed by Seabass. My partner had asparagus and serrano ham to start, followed by a squid and chorizo salad. We ordered a side portion of courgette frites which were fab!
All portions were good size, beautifully cooked.

When checking in, we were put into Walnut instead of Plum. We were told this was due to a wine spillage on the carpet of Plum, but that there was no difference in quality.
The room was a nice size, the bed comfortable and all clean. Plenty of tea, coffee, muffins, water in the room which was nice.
Also free Wi-Fi was included which was a nice touch - reception is pretty low, but usable.
The only (small) downsides were a) the room did not have a flat screen TV which the Plum room was advertised as having and b) the Walnut room is directly opposite the kitchen. So there is noise into the night as they deal with the food orders. Unfortunately as the room was quite hot we needed the windows open and could hear all the kitchen noise until quite late.

Still, not enough to ruin our stay - we will next time just insist on the room we booked (which is at the other end of the row of rooms and so away from the kitchen noise).

The pub location is excellent for taking a walk into the The Chilterns area - we did a 5.6 miles walk which started from the pub and got to see some wonderful countryside, so is a great anchor point for exploring.

Something to be aware of re the location - phone reception is ZERO in the pub itself and most of the rooms - you need to be in the car park to send/receive or make calls. Not a fault of the pub but if you are waiting for an important call.....

In summary - excellent food, great service, a nice overnight stay. We will visit again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Insist on the Plum room and avoid Walnut, as it is opposite the Kitchen
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

Having tried this restaurant as part of a groupon offer, after trying many in the area, we will certainly not be returning. The staff clearly do not understand that is important to provide a great first impression in order to get returning customers.
The roast dinner was average to say the least and the fish and chips were poor. Note: They also not reneged on the groupon offer, so you have been warned.
We cannot comment on the rooms as we went for a sunday lunch only.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Lozziefon
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

We very much enjoyed our whole experience at The Cherry Tree Inn.
The accomodation was spotless & very comfortable.
Our evening meal was delicious and a mix up on the wine order was sorted in our favour.
As we were en route cycling to Oxford we couldn't take advantage of their generous check-out time for Satrudays but we were happily on our way after a relaxed & tasty breakfast complete with plentiful papers available.
Minor complaint - the poached eggs were slightly too vinegary.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Cheddington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

We decided to stay at the Cherry Tree Inn based on a recommendation in the excellent book "Room at the Inn". Unfortunately, due to apalling weather conditions and heavy snow across the Chilterns, it was not possible for us to reach the Inn and had to cancel the reservation. Upon cancelling we were told that there would be no problem. However, I later found that we had been charged for the night's stay. I have tried to contact the manager several times by e-mail, telephone, letter and via AMEX. The manager has not bothered to respond. Clearly, I am not able to comment on the quality of the inn, which may indeed be exceptional. However based on the attention to customer service provided by the manager, I would not recommend this Inn.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ChrisCheddington
coatesey, Owner at The Cherry Tree Inn, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
This Gentleman cancelled his Saturday Night Booking on Saturday Morning. He had read the cancellation policy of 48 Hours. He Blamed the bad weather & snow, I drove in to work along the same route and it was fine, It had not snowed that day. All my food deliveries from London arrived in the morning on time. I did offer to honor the booking for another day but he was not interested. I dont see how you can review a B&B without going there!!
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

A lovely little room with a comfy bed and tasteful decor followed by a delicious breakfast. The kind of breakfast that you don't have very often - 100% hangover delight, without the grease: sagey sausage, crispy bacon, beautifully poached egg, oyster mushrooms and lots of fresh brown toast and orange juice - YUM!

The bathroom was also well thought out and clean. I stupidly managed to pay once online and then again when leaving, but they could have checked too as it was a while back that I booked it.

Only issue was a lack of hot water for showing in the morning, but we had had a hot bath the night before so it didn't matter. The manager said that the boiler was going to be looked at...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Clare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

Read reviews and decided to look at website for the Inn. There was one room available for the next night, so I called the Inn to confirm that it was still available. I was told that "If it is on the website then it would be OK" So I booked "Plum" with a King Bed, Flat screen TV, Molton Brown Toiletries, a table for dinner and approx arrival 15.00hr. Confirmation came through for all the above.
As it was a nice day we spent some time in Marlow and thought it polite to call the Inn to say we would not arrive until around 17.30. The didn`t seem to know what I was talking about, but assumed I had got a casual worker. When we did arrive they still seemed a bit uncertain so I gave them my confirmation. I was asked if I would like a table for dinner, and replied that I had already booked it. We were shown to our room "Walnut", I mentioned that I had booked "Plum", but was told that all rooms were the same. When we looked around the room, the bed was certainly not "King", the TV was not "Flat Screen". I went back to reception and pointed out what my booking said, and that if "all rooms were the same" then their website was misleading - I was told that the owner would be informed.
Putting two and two together I concluded that they had not picked up our booking, and when we went in to dinner I asked one of the staff to be honest with me, and they admitted that they had not expected us. We were given an apology and our glass of wine each was given complimentary, which was a nice gesture, but being honest when we arrived would have saved a lot of issues on both sides - mistakes happen, being "upfront" is usually appreciated.
As there are only four rooms were were lucky that only three had been booked!!
The restaurant for dinner was very busy and the food was good. The staff were efficient and very pleasant.
Breakfast - ummm - a bit hit and miss. We arrrived at 09.00 which is when breakfast starts. I had no cutlery. Waited approx 30 min for my "Full Monty" which would not have impressed the average male, expecting a hearty breakfast - One sausage, one streaky rasher, one egg, half a tomato and a large mushroom, and a miniscule piece of balck pudding. I asked for toast and got one slice ( between us). As there were only eight guests in total, I would have expected at least for the tables to be laid in advance.

To sum up:
Had we had all that was promised I would say it was good value. The rooms were small, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom had a brilliant shower - (but it would have been nice to have the promised Molton Brown in the form of shower gel, and not hand wash, which was over the sink and not moveable!), lovely towels and spotlessly clean. It was a quiet location, easy parking.
More attention to detail, a more structured breakfast, and correct information on website and it would be a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Don`t rely on booking on the website.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed
Loch Fyne Henley
Loch Fyne Henley
#7 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to The Cherry Tree Inn? Share your experiences!