“Awful service, disappointing food and unfriendly staff”

The Cherry Tree Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stoke Row
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We had heard such great things about the Cherry Tree and, indeed, are very fond of its' sister pub, The Unicorn. We were hugely disappointed. The setting is stunning and the pub garden and interior are delightful with wisteria climbing the front of the building. We too went on Bank Holiday Monday and waited over an hour and a half for our lunch. I agree with the below comment.. it was not that busy at all. Indeed, it was not at full capacity and there were many tables empty. When our food eventually did arrive there was only one other table eating and so I cannot understand why it took so long. When it did arrive, we sent the food back. It was hugely disappointing generally but more so given: the price, reputation of the pub, and the wait. I had a Cesar salad which I had ordered with dressing on the side. Needless to say it came dressed and was a couple of leaves of iceberg lettuce and a couple of anchovies. That was what we had waited so long for.

One member of staff was delightful and very helpful. The others were rude and unfriendly. I asked if our dogs might have a water bowl.. it was a very hot day and this is a "dog friendly" pub. When it hadn't arrived, after 20minutes,I chased it up, only to be told that they had more important things to deal with than water for my dogs. Safe to say the water bowl never arrived.

My husband had been away for the Sat and Sun of the bank holiday and so we had planned a lovely day, walking the dogs in Stoke Rowe, followed by lunch at The Cherry Tree. We left hungry and extremely disappointed.

1  Thank cconn17

Reviewed 8 June 2013

This pretty pub restaurant with wisteria clambering over the door is a super setting for an evening drink in the garden followed by delicious supper. Service was very prompt and the food good. We finished the meal with a shared cheeseboard which was the only mistake as the portions were miniscule - but delicious.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LEA2011
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My partner booked us an over night stay as a surprise Birthday present for me. I couldn't have chosen a more perfect place to stay. I am rather particular or fussy if you like when it comes to a high standard of service, food and accommodation. I could not fault either of these. The warm welcome we received when we arrived, the excellent standard of service, food that was out of this world and a spotlessly clean room/bathroom which were beautifully designed, what more can I say? We were looked after by Vicky, who I believe is the manageress and Hilary. I took note of their names and many other things as we shall be telling all our friends and family about the wonderful time we had. We will definitely be coming back. Thank you all at The Cherry Tree.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Arrived on bike and relaxed out front enjoying the lovely scene of a "chocolate box" pub with vibrant wisteria growing around its timeless facade. This is somewhere I must return and try the food. I would think it is the perfect place to dine alfresco on a beautiful sunny day. I was made very welcome at the bar and I notice that the barn adjacent to the pub had been converted into very comfortable accommodation. The menu looked very inviting and the beer was well kept. Can't wait to return when I will be able to give a more in depth report.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We booked a table for a family meal on Bank Holiday Monday. We arrived in good time for our reservation and although quite busy, a number of tables were empty, so not at maximum capacity. We waited for one hour twenty minutes for our food to arrive and during this time no one came to let us know why there was a delay or to take drink orders. We had to chase up ourselves. As for the food, it was dreadful. My salad, costing £11.90 I believe, consisted of undressed salad leaves that were wilted, 3 croutons a couple of chunks of cheese and a small scattering of pine nuts. It was completely inedible. The burgers were undercooked and presented with undercooked chips, a cheese substitute smeared on the top that looked like scrambled eggs and a slice of tomato and a piece of lettuce. The fish and chips were adequate.
We won't be returning.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank HighmoorQueen
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Visited early evening after some local mountain biking, lovely pub and very friendly service. Beer was excellent and the food was great. Mains are fairly priced, but starters a little overpriced - which seems to be the fashion nowadays. Overall though very good and we'll definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 25 May 2013

arrived to a very freindly welcome , and was shown our room which was to the side of the inn in a seperate building was lovely , everything was good apart from the kettle that was not cordless and the flex to the kettle wasnt very l;ong so had to fill kettle and place on floor aldo didnt seem to boil had three four goes to get water hot this was the only very minor fault apary from that it was great breakfast was also very good and would stay there again without a doubt .

Room Tip: we stayed in the room called cherry massive bed