“PERFECT” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Crooked Billet
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Stoke Row
Price range: US$16 - US$72
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open all day every day - 12 until late.Food orders from 12 – 3pm and 6.30pm onwards Monday – Friday.Cooking all day Saturday and Sunday.
reading uk
“PERFECT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

First time visit to celebrate anniversary. We agreed with previous reviews , excellent food friendly staff and good service. The added touch of the owner Paul chatting to his numerous guests was appreciated.

Visited July 2014

Didcot, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Firstly, the food is excellent!

We came here for my wife's birthday, the meal wasn't particularly cheap but considering the quality, it was good value.

Now, I have some personal bugbears regarding service and so I left a tip that was in line with the service, it may be seen as derisory at just sub 10% but there we're a few issues.

1. The starter came with a hard poached egg which I commented to my wife had been overcooked. Off the cuff, a runny poached egg arrived at our table and was a nice touch and showed attention to service but it would have been nicer with the starter rather than after.

2. My personal bugbear, if a customer orders something, ensure it turns up rather than just adding it to their bill.

3. Quite important for customer service, if you're going to complain about a customers tip, it's probably worthwhile checking they're not in the garden just outside the open door you're standing just inside of. Unless of course you intend them to hear.

Finally, a tip is for service, not a given right or set amount. The comments made only served to remind me to either "go big" or not at all in future.

Not wanting this to be negative, I really can't recommend the Billet highly enough. Again, the food is excellent as is the setting, maybe I had an "off" night.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nixxrite
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Silly question above "Is this the best meal I've ever had in a restaurant"! The answer is no not the best but however, it was good and most enjoyable! Staff were brilliant very courteous and especially our lovely waitress whom shared enjoying some photos and a young waiter who was so professional and accommodating - very natural in delivering champagne and present that our daughter had secretly arranged! It is such a special place. It was our 31st wedding anniversary and I have been going to the Crooked Billet before I was married! In fact i had the great pleasure of working with Nobby. I even think that Nobby would have approved and enjoyed a good meal and ambience that was there this evening and would have perhaps been happy to leave the jacket potato thrown into the fire and the mouldy cheese in the safe! However, the special bottle of Morgan shared with Nob was always very enjoyable! Thank you Paul and excellent team. We shall be back.

• Visited July 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, great food and service plus blankets!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

My partner and I have eaten here on several occasions, and would rate it one of the best restaurants we have eaten at.
It is set in an isolated rural setting, with a small garden with about ten tables at the front.
Around 15 tables inside with a very old fashioned feel to it.
Excellent service could not be faulted,.
We visited the restaurant for dinner on this occasion, and sat in the garden in the sun. However, it became very chilly when the sun went down. No problem! There was a box full of blankets for you to wrap around you.
We started with a plate of bread with a hommous dip cast about £3.
My partner choose pigeon breasts, whereas I choose poached egg and prosciutto for starters which were cooked to perfection.
For mains I choose duck and my partner had a lamb dish which she said was one of the best she had ever tasted.
Starters average £8, mains £20
Booking recommended

• Visited June 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Make the Effort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I was fairly confident this was a definite 5 star rating before I'd even walked into the restaurant. Despite it being a sat-nav defying location with no mobile phone signal, so much has already been written about the Crooked Billet and it's fantastic food.

I was a little concerned about taking three under 10s so checked in advance and was told it was kid friendly. But there's no children's menu as such and really it's more of a grown up place so be warned.

The service was pretty average for country pubs - polite, but indifferent students who don't really understand the menu or concept of the restaurant. This always really annoys me, because service is so important when complimenting such a great menu. The whole vibe of places like this is down to the owners and management and their passion.

Starters were top notch and the kids ate calamari, which they wolfed down. There's a little bit too much choice though, so it takes ages to choose what you really want. At crunch time I went for the duck breast main, which was way too big and salty, without any sweet punch to lift the richness of the meat. I wish I had opted for one of the fish dishes instead, and probably would have if it hadn't been such a dull rainy day.

I heard about the guinea pig menu (they try out all their new recipes on you - fantastic for a cook like me), but this is not on offer on Saturdays - so I think I'll have to go back!

• Visited June 2014