“Stag and Huntsman, Hambleden - an absolute gem”

The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden
Ranked #1 of 1 Hambleden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed in this small local hotel for two nights at the height of the Henley Royal Regatta and it was an absolute gem. It is located in a delightful village and is ideally placed for either smart events in Henley or for walking trips in the beautiful surrounding countryside. The staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful both with my heavy bags and they even helped me store overnight my picnic for the next day. My room had been recently refurbished yet retained its historic features, and was very comfortable and well appointed. The food was good and very reasonably priced, and I could have eaten in the dining room, bar or in the garden. Overall, it was a memorable couple of days and a most enjoyable stay. I will certainly go back and recommend it others.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roderick C
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thanks for such a glowing review; I was really thrilled to hear how much you thoroughly enjoyed your stay as well as the local area. We all hope to see you again for next year's Henley Royal Regatta just a few minutes down the road - if not before!

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Visited with a bunch of work colleagues for a team lunch.
I think we arrived a bit earlier than planned and so had to wait for our food (which would still have been quite a wait even if we had arrived on time)
That said, the food was very good and my burger was massive & tasty. Ambience is very good too (nice day for eating in the garden).
This is still one of my favourite lunch destinations but will try to ensure we stick to our timings in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Thanks for choosing our pub for a big team lunch - and for saying we're one of your favourite lunch destinations; our garden is proving to be incredibly popular in this sunny weather! I was disappointed to read you felt you had quite a wait for your food, even though I appreciate you say you arrived early, but I'm obviously delighted you felt the food was worth it - our meat is locally sourced and we know it adds to the flavour so it's great to receive positive feedback like yours. I do hope you come again soon - perhaps call in advance if you know your timings will change?

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stopped off in Hambleden to enjoy a light lunch with some relatives, whilst on a tour of the local area. This was our second visit, the last time was shortly after it had been re-furbished, we were a little underwhelmed with the experience the last time, by both the food and service. At that time we ate in the restaurant but we felt we needed to give it another try.

Unfortunately today's visit did not do a lot to impress us either. We felt for the price the portions were smaller that we had experienced else where recently. Game chips!! these turned out to be simply just normal ready salted crisps and the omelette must of been made with very small eggs indeed. I suppose you are probably paying that little bit extra for the surroundings of the pretty country village scene (often used in film settings). The large glass of wine did not seem very large at all to us. On the plus side though there are plenty of tables and umbrella's in the large garden which was a bonus on a sunny day. The ladies toilets were spotless too and there is a very large car park. However, It maybe some time before we try again which is a real shame as it is in a beautiful area in the Hambleden Valley, which we visit quite often having relatives living close by.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Peachlady53

Thanks for your review although I was disappointed to read your visit didn't quite meet your expectations. We put a lot of time & effort into creating our menus and reviewing portion size is particularly important with new dishes - I will take your feedback on board and discuss with the Chef. Regarding the wine measure, we serve glasses of 125ml and 175ml which are priced accordingly (the latter being our ‘large’), but I can understand your confusion if you were expecting a 250ml glass, I’m sorry that it was not explained to you. One point I will certainly investigate was the delivery of crisps instead of game chips, my apologies for that - our game chips are very popular and should always accompany our sandwiches. It's a pleasure to hear you rate our garden and overall cleanliness; I do hope you decide to come again soon as it sounds as though you enjoy Hambleden and the surrounding area.

Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

We had fish and chips nasty cold not cooked soft batter unhelpful staff chips tasted reheated see picture. Do not eat here over price crap in a lovely village get a new chef would be the only way ahead also so staff who smile would be good try the dog and badger up the road much better the manager of the stag should visit get some tips

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank jackpot137
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

I was really disappointed to read your review as it sounds as though we failed to deliver our usual high standards on both service and the quality of our food - I can only offer my sincere apologies and reassure you that I will be discussing your feedback in our team meeting. We work hard to offer creative and tasty menus and it's a real shame that you did not experience all we have to offer on this occasion.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We were only able to stay for one night but absolutely loved it - it's such a treat to stay somewhere with heaps of character reminiscent of old England. The bed and bedding were exceptional and it was just a short walk downstairs into the dining area where we had some really super food.
Everyone was really helpful. The village itself is wonderful - not to be missed!!!
Thank you so much!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments, it's a pleasure to read you enjoyed The Stag & Huntsman so much. We're very proud of our old country village pub and it's wonderful to be able to offer a small selection of rooms that also maintain such a traditional, yet luxurious, feel. Great to hear you enjoyed your meals and hope you come back and see us in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had an overnight stop here last week and whilst the room was very nice it was still not ready at 4pm and was very hot. The pub is ordinary and the breakfast service was not great, the cooked breakfast was pretty tasteless, billed as a luxury Bed & Breakfast this it was not! Only one person serving and they had workmen in who were very noisy!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yorkshiretraveller16
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as we’d hope. If you choose to stay again, please let us know if you're hot and we can offer you a fan - as a listed building we are unable to install air con I'm afraid. I'm also sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your breakfast, we pride ourselves on using excellent quality and locally sourced ingredients wherever possible, which we think adds something special to all dishes, so I will pass your comments on to our Head Chef.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Parking can be tricky in this picturesque (out of the way) village. Welcoming, friendly staff. Lots of nooks and crannies to drink or dine. Excellent pub food (REALLY!). Well priced. Lost half point for cold plates. Otherwise a perfect pub. Americans would LOVE this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

What a score! Many thanks for such a good review; I'm really pleased to read how much you enjoyed your meal and will pass on your comments about the cold plates - that was clearly a slip on the day and I apologise; I do hope you return soon and we can give you a 10 out of 10 experience!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hambleden
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed
Macdonald Compleat Angler

Been to The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden? Share your experiences!