“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hambleden B&B and Inns
London
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

To see my negative review has been removed by the pub - what appalling customer relations. Used to be lovely but the service and food a couple of weeks ago was awful. Waited an hour and a half for a pathetic BBQ. Such a shame

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Flower1783
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Flower1783, you posted your previous review on the restaurant page for The Stag & Huntsman (this is the accommodation page); I replied to your review and also sent you an email asking you to contact me in response to your email directly to the pub. Please rest assured we would not remove any review as we believe all feedback and a balanced opinion is important; I do hope to hear from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Used to be a lovely pub but after this visit, would not hurry back. No atmosphere in the bar, staff indifferent, food (what there was) OK but small portions and over-priced. Food stained menus. Ate quickly and left for somewhere better to have another drink. Didn't stay so can't comment on accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank colin l
Thank you for your comments, I have taken each one on board and I'm truly sorry you didn't have the kind of experience we aim to offer our customers - it sounds as though we let you down on a number of points. We are planning to change our menu content in the near future and I do hope you come back again soon to see the changes.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Stag and The Huntsman is a charming English pub in a gorgeous setting. The hotel accommodation is beautifully appointed. Luxury bed linen, toiletries and decor are a delightful surprise. The hotel dining area and beer garden are the perfect place for a formal or casual dining experience. The small village is a perfect place to start you "Midsomer Murder" tour. The tea shop/post office is the perfect place for cream tea and to get your Midsomer tour book

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie C
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thanks for such a wonderful review; great to hear that we ticked all the right boxes and look forward to seeing you back again in the near future
Teddington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed in this small local hotel for two nights at the height of the Henley Royal Regatta and it was an absolute gem. It is located in a delightful village and is ideally placed for either smart events in Henley or for walking trips in the beautiful surrounding countryside. The staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful both with my heavy bags and they even helped me store overnight my picnic for the next day. My room had been recently refurbished yet retained its historic features, and was very comfortable and well appointed. The food was good and very reasonably priced, and I could have eaten in the dining room, bar or in the garden. Overall, it was a memorable couple of days and a most enjoyable stay. I will certainly go back and recommend it others.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roderick C
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thanks for such a glowing review; I was really thrilled to hear how much you thoroughly enjoyed your stay as well as the local area. We all hope to see you again for next year's Henley Royal Regatta just a few minutes down the road - if not before!
Andover, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Visited with a bunch of work colleagues for a team lunch.
I think we arrived a bit earlier than planned and so had to wait for our food (which would still have been quite a wait even if we had arrived on time)
That said, the food was very good and my burger was massive & tasty. Ambience is very good too (nice day for eating in the garden).
This is still one of my favourite lunch destinations but will try to ensure we stick to our timings in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Thanks for choosing our pub for a big team lunch - and for saying we're one of your favourite lunch destinations; our garden is proving to be incredibly popular in this sunny weather! I was disappointed to read you felt you had quite a wait for your food, even though I appreciate you say you arrived early, but I'm obviously delighted you felt the food was worth it - our meat is locally sourced and we know it adds to the flavour so it's great to receive positive feedback like yours. I do hope you come again soon - perhaps call in advance if you know your timings will change?
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stopped off in Hambleden to enjoy a light lunch with some relatives, whilst on a tour of the local area. This was our second visit, the last time was shortly after it had been re-furbished, we were a little underwhelmed with the experience the last time, by both the food and service. At that time we ate in the restaurant but we felt we needed to give it another try.

Unfortunately today's visit did not do a lot to impress us either. We felt for the price the portions were smaller that we had experienced else where recently. Game chips!! these turned out to be simply just normal ready salted crisps and the omelette must of been made with very small eggs indeed. I suppose you are probably paying that little bit extra for the surroundings of the pretty country village scene (often used in film settings). The large glass of wine did not seem very large at all to us. On the plus side though there are plenty of tables and umbrella's in the large garden which was a bonus on a sunny day. The ladies toilets were spotless too and there is a very large car park. However, It maybe some time before we try again which is a real shame as it is in a beautiful area in the Hambleden Valley, which we visit quite often having relatives living close by.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Peachlady53
Thanks for your review although I was disappointed to read your visit didn't quite meet your expectations. We put a lot of time & effort into creating our menus and reviewing portion size is particularly important with new dishes - I will take your feedback on board and discuss with the Chef. Regarding the wine measure, we serve glasses of 125ml and 175ml which are priced accordingly (the latter being our ‘large’), but I can understand your confusion if you were expecting a 250ml glass, I’m sorry that it was not explained to you. One point I will certainly investigate was the delivery of crisps instead of game chips, my apologies for that - our game chips are very popular and should always accompany our sandwiches. It's a pleasure to hear you rate our garden and overall cleanliness; I do hope you decide to come again soon as it sounds as though you enjoy Hambleden and the surrounding area.
Reading
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

We had fish and chips nasty cold not cooked soft batter unhelpful staff chips tasted reheated see picture. Do not eat here over price crap in a lovely village get a new chef would be the only way ahead also so staff who smile would be good try the dog and badger up the road much better the manager of the stag should visit get some tips

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank jackpot137
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
I was really disappointed to read your review as it sounds as though we failed to deliver our usual high standards on both service and the quality of our food - I can only offer my sincere apologies and reassure you that I will be discussing your feedback in our team meeting. We work hard to offer creative and tasty menus and it's a real shame that you did not experience all we have to offer on this occasion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hambleden
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed
The Catherine Wheel
The Catherine Wheel
#2 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden? Share your experiences!