“Whatever happened to this great pub?”

The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden
Ranked #1 of 1 Hambleden B&B and Inns
Cholsey, Oxon
“Whatever happened to this great pub?”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We've been coming here for years!! This is the second time in a couple of months, since the refurb, we've been disappointed with the food. The first time there were a couple of parties and the staff were pretty stretched so OK we forgave that one (even after a 50 minute wait). Went on Saturday with fingers crossed. Ham and eggs for me. Fish and chips for my wife. Quite frankly I've had better in a greasy spoon café. Management need to get a grip and stop overpricing for rubbish food from an equally rubbish menu.

4 Thank JohnBoyCholsey
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I'm sincerely sorry that you have felt underwhelmed on your last two visits; we have made some changes in response to customer feedback on the menu in the last month and I'm disappointed we didn't manage to satisfy you - my apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Lovely place and lovely accommodation! No complaints at all...just try and it won't disappointed you. We've got the Reservoir room, the bed was really comfortable, the toilet very good, the dinner and the breakfast amazing..Thanks to all the staff,especially to Ewa who has been very kind and helpfully!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such wonderful compliments on every aspect of your stay; I'm really thrilled to hear you enjoyed it so much and will share your comments with Ewa, who will be equally pleased to hear them. I do hope we can host you again soon, and perhaps for longer next time!
cheshire england
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here with my husband last weekend and really liked both the pub and the village. Our room (The Reservoir) was cosy with a very comfortable bed and a good bathroom. It had all the amenities we needed including filter coffee, lovely biscuits and proper sugar cubes instead of those awful packets. The bathroom had a wonderfully deep bath, perfect for a soak after a long day. It also had a powerful shower. My one and only gripe is that in order to look in the mirror to dry my hair, I had to move both the table and the mirror nearer to the plug; ok, not a major problem, but I don't really want to have to do furniture removals in order to use the hairdryer. A mirror on the wall or even an extension lead for the hairdryer would do the trick. Like I aid, a minor point and the only fault. There was a Beer Festival over the whole weekend. We knew about it and it was partly the reason we chose the hotel. It was small and low key in the garden at the rear of the hotel. There was a BBQ and also a band.We didn't sample the food, but the beers were good - I am not really a real ale person, but I enjoyed a few different ones having read the 'bumph' about each one. They were very good. The band were entertaining and kept playing when I am sure that their hands must have been almost numb with cold! They certainly added to the atmosphere and had people dancing along on the grass. Breakfast was excellent. We did not sample the restaurant food so I cannot speak for that, but the comments made in earlier reviews re the food certainly don't apply to breakfast. There was a good selection of well presented cold foods and the cooked meal was hearty and included sausage and bacon of decent quality. There was a plentiful supply of coffee and toast. No complaints at all. The pub is in a delightful village nestling in the most beautiful countryside. We stopped at the local village of Turville - a walk up to the windmill affords lovely views and the village is well worth a visit. We also went to Henley on Thames which had a very good tapas restaurant on the high street....that's why we couldn't manage the BBQ!
I would certainly recommend the Stag and Huntsman and would happily return.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back overlooking the garden, which meant we had no noise from the car park or ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thanks for such a lovely review. I'm really please that you enjoyed our annual beer festival. I'll certainly look into getting a more practical mirror put in the bedroom so thanks for the feedback. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future if not for next year’s beer festival.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

A lovely old pub in a beautiful village. The staff were excellent and my dog was made very welcome. Such a shame that the food wasn't at the same high standard - small portions, that weren't a good enough quality to justify the price. I will still return though as everything else was very enjoyable & relaxing.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Bandbird
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thanks for leaving your feedback; whilst I'm really pleased to hear you enjoyed the majority of your stay, I'm disappointed you didn't feel the food met your expectations. We are in the process of reviewing our menus and plan to launch a new menu within the next couple of weeks; I hope you decide to eat with us on your next visit and it would be great if you could let me know what you think.
London
Reviewed 7 August 2013

To see my negative review has been removed by the pub - what appalling customer relations. Used to be lovely but the service and food a couple of weeks ago was awful. Waited an hour and a half for a pathetic BBQ. Such a shame

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Flower1783
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Flower1783, you posted your previous review on the restaurant page for The Stag & Huntsman (this is the accommodation page); I replied to your review and also sent you an email asking you to contact me in response to your email directly to the pub. Please rest assured we would not remove any review as we believe all feedback and a balanced opinion is important; I do hope to hear from you soon.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Used to be a lovely pub but after this visit, would not hurry back. No atmosphere in the bar, staff indifferent, food (what there was) OK but small portions and over-priced. Food stained menus. Ate quickly and left for somewhere better to have another drink. Didn't stay so can't comment on accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank colin l
Thank you for your comments, I have taken each one on board and I'm truly sorry you didn't have the kind of experience we aim to offer our customers - it sounds as though we let you down on a number of points. We are planning to change our menu content in the near future and I do hope you come back again soon to see the changes.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Stag and The Huntsman is a charming English pub in a gorgeous setting. The hotel accommodation is beautifully appointed. Luxury bed linen, toiletries and decor are a delightful surprise. The hotel dining area and beer garden are the perfect place for a formal or casual dining experience. The small village is a perfect place to start you "Midsomer Murder" tour. The tea shop/post office is the perfect place for cream tea and to get your Midsomer tour book

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie C
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thanks for such a wonderful review; great to hear that we ticked all the right boxes and look forward to seeing you back again in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hambleden
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Five Arrows Hotel
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 2 in Waddesdon

Been to The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden? Share your experiences!