The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden
Henley Business School(Henley-on-Thames)
Phyllis Court Club(Henley-on-Thames)
Hotel du Vin(Henley-on-Thames)
  • Restaurant
The Red Lion Hotel(Henley-on-Thames)
The Catherine Wheel(Henley-on-Thames)
Loch Fyne Henley(Henley-on-Thames)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsbeautiful villagethe pubchitty chitty bang banghenley on thamesbrewery tourwork colleagueseggs benedictreal alesmall hamletroom was comfortable and cleanvenisonsunday roastmember of staffgreat showerbreakfast was excellentfull englishenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The room we had (no 8) was fantastic - but the lack of a shower was a poor omission - in such a large en-suite - no excuse for no shower. Bathroom mirrors in the wrong place. The room was pricey and we expected the food to be of a similar standard - definitely not though - average pub grub (breakfast was excellent though).
Would stay again buy wouldn't eat in the evening again. The bar maid's swearing wasn't attractive! Sack her! The Heathrow traffic starts at 5.00am so close your windows if you want a good sleep. I thought Hambleden had its own airport! The noise from staff and customers leaving through the back door wasn't appreciated in the small hours.

Room Tip: Get the expensive ones - keep the widows shut.
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Wonderful pub in a beautiful setting, perfect getaway in the Chilterns which would be a perfect base for ramblers or those just seeking a quiet bolt hole in which to retreat. The village itself small comprising of a quaint post office/tea room, really was like stepping back in time about 50 years. We ate in the restaurant at Stag and Huntsman which we found a little disappointing both with the unimaginative menu and the ambience in the restaurant itself, perhaps a little background music would help. Our room was cosy and nicely decorated with a large comfortable bed, breakfast the next morning was better than our evening meal served by smiling, pleasant staff.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We've been coming here for years!! This is the second time in a couple of months, since the refurb, we've been disappointed with the food. The first time there were a couple of parties and the staff were pretty stretched so OK we forgave that one (even after a 50 minute wait). Went on Saturday with fingers crossed. Ham and eggs for me. Fish and chips for my wife. Quite frankly I've had better in a greasy spoon café. Management need to get a grip and stop overpricing for rubbish food from an equally rubbish menu.

4  Thank JohnBoyCholsey
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I'm sincerely sorry that you have felt underwhelmed on your last two visits; we have made some changes in response to customer feedback on the menu in the last month and I'm disappointed we didn't manage to satisfy you - my apologies.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Lovely place and lovely accommodation! No complaints at all...just try and it won't disappointed you. We've got the Reservoir room, the bed was really comfortable, the toilet very good, the dinner and the breakfast amazing..Thanks to all the staff,especially to Ewa who has been very kind and helpfully!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such wonderful compliments on every aspect of your stay; I'm really thrilled to hear you enjoyed it so much and will share your comments with Ewa, who will be equally pleased to hear them. I do hope we can host you again soon, and perhaps for longer next time!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here with my husband last weekend and really liked both the pub and the village. Our room (The Reservoir) was cosy with a very comfortable bed and a good bathroom. It had all the amenities we needed including filter coffee, lovely biscuits and proper sugar cubes instead of those awful packets. The bathroom had a wonderfully deep bath, perfect for a soak after a long day. It also had a powerful shower. My one and only gripe is that in order to look in the mirror to dry my hair, I had to move both the table and the mirror nearer to the plug; ok, not a major problem, but I don't really want to have to do furniture removals in order to use the hairdryer. A mirror on the wall or even an extension lead for the hairdryer would do the trick. Like I aid, a minor point and the only fault. There was a Beer Festival over the whole weekend. We knew about it and it was partly the reason we chose the hotel. It was small and low key in the garden at the rear of the hotel. There was a BBQ and also a band.We didn't sample the food, but the beers were good - I am not really a real ale person, but I enjoyed a few different ones having read the 'bumph' about each one. They were very good. The band were entertaining and kept playing when I am sure that their hands must have been almost numb with cold! They certainly added to the atmosphere and had people dancing along on the grass. Breakfast was excellent. We did not sample the restaurant food so I cannot speak for that, but the comments made in earlier reviews re the food certainly don't apply to breakfast. There was a good selection of well presented cold foods and the cooked meal was hearty and included sausage and bacon of decent quality. There was a plentiful supply of coffee and toast. No complaints at all. The pub is in a delightful village nestling in the most beautiful countryside. We stopped at the local village of Turville - a walk up to the windmill affords lovely views and the village is well worth a visit. We also went to Henley on Thames which had a very good tapas restaurant on the high street....that's why we couldn't manage the BBQ!
I would certainly recommend the Stag and Huntsman and would happily return.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back overlooking the garden, which meant we had no noise from the car park or road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thanks for such a lovely review. I'm really please that you enjoyed our annual beer festival. I'll certainly look into getting a more practical mirror put in the bedroom so thanks for the feedback. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future if not for next year’s beer festival.