“Great vegan dining experience.”
Review of Great Sage

Great Sage
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Clarksville
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Great Sage is anything but common, featuring a bold menu inspired by exotic flavors from around the world, using organic ingredients to nourish the body, and providing a warm, earthy, yet romantic atmosphere perfect for any occasion. Great Sage seeks to provide the highest quality gourmet foods created from only plant-based sources.Great Sage opened in June of 2004 as the third business to be added to the exciting new venture called, "Conscious Corner" in Clarksville, MD. Owners Jeff & Holly Kaufman and Jody Cutler began Conscious Corner in June of 2000 with Roots Market, an independent natural and organic market catering to the gourmet and natural foods enthusiast.
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

My wife is a vegetarian and she wanted to try it out. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. I enjoyed the food and the staff were very pleasant! We will come back again!

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved everything about our dining experience at Great Sage! My only complaint is that there is no Great Sage in my hometown of Cleveland! I will crave their Tempeh Reuben for years to come.

purplepotatoe, Manager at Great Sage, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thanks for the great review Wendy! We love meeting travelers and are so happy to be a destination restaurant to those looking for healthy vegan food! The Tempeh Reuben is by far one of our most popular sandwiches and hopefully you will get a chance to try some of our other favorites on your next visit! We even have an all vegan brunch Sunday mornings from 10am-3pm with specialty pancakes and tofu quiche. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 3 June 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Great Sage several times. My wife is vegetarian but I am not. We usually get a smoothy, which I recommend - they are very healthy and tasty. The entrees have been hit or miss. Although I'm not vegetarian, I do like some vegetarian foods but I have to say nothing has ever thrilled me at Great Sage. My wife has had better luck and might give a better rating. All that said, we do return, usually for lunch.

purplepotatoe, Manager at Great Sage, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Hi John, We really appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed our healthy smoothies, we even do a smoothie of the week so we can try out various combinations such as adding greens, hemp hearts and spirulina for extra nutrients! May we ask what you tried while dining with us? We are more than happy to make suggestions and you are always welcome to ask for a manager with questions or concerns. We change our menu seasonally and hope you will join us again. Our specials change weekly and we have brunch on Sundays, please e-mail katies@greatsage.com and let us know what you ordered while dining with us, we are always aiming to exceed our guests expectations!
Katie Smallwood
Manager

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I like the concept of this restaurant. I even like the fact that it is here to meet the needs of individuals like me, vegan and gluten free, but there is a lack of great flavor in the food. I feel like the food falls short in that the flavors do not stand out. I walk away knowing that I could have made the dish better. The cauliflower soup has so much potato in it that I can't taste the cauliflower and the seasoning is almost non-existent. The tempeh in the Reuben sandwich is too mild and the sandwich relies too much on peppercorns for its flavor. Their is so much more that can be done to make the flavor exciting and more substantial. The baked goods tend to be too dry. The sweet potato chips are heavy and dry tasting. I hate to eat a meal and constantly be thinking of things that could have been done to improve the flavor, but that is consistently my experience with The Great Sage. On my last trip, I had an allergic reaction to something in the food, so I'm not going back anytime soon. Again, I'm glad the restaurant exists, but they need to improve the flavor of the food.

We appreciate your review Tichelle and are sorry to hear that your meal was not quite what you had hoped for. We strive to make creative dishes that are both full of flavor and healthy, we encourage you to always ask for a manager if there are any issues or concerns. We will gladly make a suggestion for you or replace a dish that you are unhappy with as quickly as possible. We change our menu seasonally and encourage you to give us another try, we get great feedback on our Green Lentil and Green Chili Burger topped with chipotle aioli and avocado, our carrot cake is always a winner and gluten free. As for sides, you can always sub our vegetable of the day or house-made coleslaw instead of chips for any sandwich. Please give us a call if you have allergic reactions after dining with us, we are happy to let you know the ingredients of our dishes so you can pinpoint the reaction. Feel free to e-mail me at katies@greatsage.com, I look forward to hearing from you.
Katie Smallwood
Manager

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We went to Great Sage for my husband's birthday. It's a very pleasant space and the service was excellent. The wine list was interesting and reasonably priced. The problem was the food. We shared a Middle Eastern appetizer to start. The most flavorful item was tapenade. The generous portion of hummus was bland and the artichoke hearts were canned. It was an interesting array of mezze, served with pita and vegetables, but it lacked the savory range of favors I expected. I ordered mushroom and artichokes with pesto served with house pasta. I expected the vegetable to be featured. I was surprised to get a bowl of large, thick pasta squares, swimming in over oily pesto with bits of mushroom and (again, canned) artichoke hearts. The pasta was gummy and much of it stuck together. The portion was large but it was a heavy, muddy dish. It did not warrant the $19 price. My husband had grilled vegetables with quinoa. The quinoa was toasted and excellent and there was a variety of vegetables, including, inexplicably, canned hearts of palm. But the vegetables were quite oily and I wasn't sure what the orange sauce was.
I think the kitchen tries hard to make vegan food interesting and stylish, which I appreciate. But the food lacks subtlety and attention to flavor. I wanted to like Great Sage because it's heart is in the right place, but I couldn't get past the food.