“Best Mid-size Hotel in the DC area”

TownePlace Suites Clinton by Marriott at Joint Base Andrews
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clinton
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Although located near Joint Andrews base, this hotel is a hidden gem. From check-in to check-out, the customer service was excellent. The entire staff was so friendly.

The rooms have a small kitchenette with full-sized refrigerators. They have an indoor pool with tons of water toys and even a basketball hoop on one side of the pool. They even have a game room with a Wii for the kids. The breakfast area is better than most I've seen. In addition, they have lots of rocking chairs out front.

For security, the hotel and parking area is completely secured. It even has an access gate that is activated by your room key.

If you're a Marriott Rewards member, your points go a long way at this property. It's the best deal that I've ever come across in the U.S.

A special thanks to Angela for going out of her way to make our stay so wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 534sp

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We had a King room with a small kitchen. Very clean and well appointed. A few small things that really didn't have a negative on our stay but I will bring them up. The tub drain wouldn't stay up so I jammed a bar of soap under it and not all the TV channels that were listed on the paper would tune in. Just the upper ones. Wild horses couldn't drag this out of me because I don't want the person fired but one of the people working at the hotel asked me if I would give them a ride home after work. I told them I would be sleeping by then after a long day. I never got friendly with anyone at the hotel so I found this pretty strange.

Room Tip: We liked the room to the right and used the back entrance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JasonRavennaOhio
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Awesome, very friendly staff. They make you feel right at home:)... Highly recommend! Will stay again. Also the front desk personnel was very helpful with places to go and directions.. Beds where so very comfortable, workout area and pool where also nice!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Overall, I had a pretty good experience at this hotel. The staff was very nice, the rooms were sufficiently clean and the pool was great. Here are the details:

LOCATION
This hotel is not in the greatest neighborhood in the world (I probably wouldn't go walking around at night), but its proximity to Andrews AFB and to D.C. made it a great place to stay for the price (I used Marriott points and it is a Category 2). The hotel is literally right outside the gate to Andrews and about a 15 minute drive to the National Mall on a weekend morning. There is a fence around the property with a gate to get into the parking lot, which I'm guessing is to alleviate guest concerns about the surrounding neighborhood.

ROOMS
The rooms were a pretty good size. There is a stove top, full sized refrigerator, and dishes in the room, which is nice for an extended stay. The room was clean, although the bathroom fixtures were a bit dated.

BREAKFAST
As compared to other TownPlace Suites (which normally consists of cold cereal and breads) the breakfast at this hotel was pretty nice. On the morning I was there, they had scrambled eggs and breakfast meat in addition to the standard offerings. The breakfast room is huge and has a pool table, which would be nice place to hang out if traveling with a group.

FITNESS ROOM / POOL
The pool was definitely a stand out for me. The pool has a basketball hoop and plenty of pool toys for the kids to play with. My kids loved it and didn't want to leave. On top of that, they had a life guard on duty, which is something I'd never seen at a hotel before.

The fitness room was also quite nice with multiple treadmills and ellipticals, as well as various weight machines and dumbbells.

Overall, if I end up in D.C. again and don't want to pay D.C. prices, this hotel is going to be my first choice. It was extremely kid friendly and offered a great value.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Redleg601
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I had never stayed in a TownePlace Suites hotel before, so this was my first experience in one. I don't know if they are all like this one, but if they are, then I'm going to have to look for them in other places when I travel. I was VERY surprised at how much I liked it. I had business at Andrews AFB which is literally right next to the hotel, but let me clarify that unless you have a military pass to get on base without stopping at the main gate and visitor center, then you can't use the gate that's next to the hotel. However, driving to the main gate as I had to was only a 5 minute drive and was a matter of two streets. The property is completely gated, so you have to have a room key to get in AND to get out. There was also security personnel onsite each night I was there. From the outside, the building looks a lot like many Hilton Garden Inns that I have stayed at. Inside, it's got a small snack shop next to the check in desk. When I arrived i was greeted and offered choice of points or market item for being Platinum. I was also given a hotel welcome basket with chips, peanuts, and some other snacks. As if that wasn't nice enough, I was even asked if I liked wine, as apparently the proprietors of the hotel have a tie in with a vineyard and as such they gave me a bottle of sauvignon blanc wine. I found all of this to be very overwhelming considering I didn't have any expectations besides a room key and finger point toward an elevator. Once to the room I found myself in a small but well laid out studio suite with a full kitchen, full size appliances including microwave, toaster oven, dishwasher, fridge and freezer. Then a living room area in the corner with a lounge chair, an office/work nook with a desk and pull out desk expension with office chair. The bed was adequate, perhaps a bit firm, but I did not mind. They had placed foam pillows in my room before I arrived as I had requested. The bathroom was nicer than averave with the tub/shower with curved shower curtain bar for more room while bathing. The vanity/sink is counter height so there is no issue with it being way down low by your knees if you're tall like I am. The power ports by the end tables near the bed are not built into the lamps, but are pretty close on the wall just next to the dressers. The Air Conditioning and Heating work as hot or cold as you like and are individually controlled. The overall decor is I would say somewhat basic, somewhat plain, but homey and relaxing. There is about a 36" ? flatscreen tv on a cabinet located in a strange sort of spot in the room but it lets you swivel it left for waching it from the office or chair, or swivel the other way to watch from the bed. In the mornings there is a decent hot breakfast, yogurts, juices, fruits, milk, coffee, eggs, sausage, cereals, pastries, and more. I had some quickly before leaving for the day and grabbed a few other items like fruit for lunch that day. There are dunkin donuts located all over the place around base, so I also enjoyed getting coffee from there. I didn't spend much time on base, but you must MUST have either a valid military ID or contractor/access badge to be able to get in without having to go to the visitor center and/or wait for an escort to get you on base. Plan ahead, these things can really hold you up when you're on a time crunch. Anyway, in the evenings, the hotel during some weeknights has a light snack/dinner item like soup or chili. I used it as a way to whet my palatte before deciding what restaurant I wanted to eat at. There are a number of restaurants close by in Clinton, Ruby Tuesday, a Fish Market, and a number of faster food options like KFC and McDonalds. The television channels had most channels I care to watch, which was good. The internet was wireless and it was free, and while sometimes it seemed a bit slow, it certainly got the job done. Every person who greeted me from the front desk to the maintenance folks greeted me in a kind manner and always made me feel at home. Their fitness center looked very nice, had a good deal of weights not just a couple cardio machines, and they had an indoor pool and spa too. There is an onsite laundry facility too. What else can I saw, even the drawers in the kitchen had all the utensils in place, including the wine opener I realized I'd soon need when I tried opening that bottle of wine! Overall, I was VERY pleasantly surprised by this hotel, and I would love to discover that the brand is like this in all of their locations. If you are staying in the area for Andrews AFB, this should be your place to stay. The only downside I have about the brand as a whole is that Marriott Rewards only gives 1/2 the points you would normally earn for your stays, you don't earn 10 points per dollar, you get 5 points per dollar, and it's the same at Residence Inns. I 100% disagree with that model of business, but it is what it is, and likely is not controlled by the folks who run this individual hotel In short- if you have to work at the base and want an easy commute and a clean, homey, safe place to call home, go to the TownePlace Suites Clinton/Andrews AFB.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Engineer911
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I was here for two months, and I had a blast! All the staff was extremely pleasant and were willing to help with any questions/ concerns I had. My room was spotless my entire stay. Great job by housekeeping. The pictures they display on the internet are exactly how they appear. The General Manager, was present most days and always made sure everything was great with my stay. Breakfast was fine too. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Flying_Far
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I booked the TownePlace Suites Clinton so I could be close to work (Andrews) and ideally cook in the room.

The rooms themselves are very small! Although it has a small kitchen area at the entrance, the rest of the room is tiny. I found myself tripping over my luggage on most days as there was no where to place it out of the way and still remain accessible.

The kitchen area is adequate, although despite my best intentions I never cooked there.

The breakfast buffet and evening receptions Mondays-Wednesdays are wonderful! Additionally, there are fresh cookies at the reception desk in the afternoons as well as fresh fruit throughout the day. Moreover, the staff was always very friendly!

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, however it's very expensive and for that reason I probably would not stay here again. You can book a 4 star hotel in the heart of DC with valet parking for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kelly-S-2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clinton
Comfort Inn at Joint Base Andrews
Colony South
Colony South
#3 of 4 in Clinton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base)
Sleep Inn & Suites Upper Marlboro near Andrews AFB
Hampton Inn & Suites Camp Springs/Andrews AFB
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB

Been to TownePlace Suites Clinton by Marriott at Joint Base Andrews? Share your experiences!