“The real deal”

and up
Private John Wilkes Booth Escape Tour in Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Clinton
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1852 as a middle-class plantation home, historic Surratt House recaptures life during the mid-19th century and features the fascinating web of the Lincoln conspiracy.
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Docents in period dress know their stuff. This is the first place John Wilkes Booth stopped after killing Lincoln, and for good reason. His closest associate was John Surratt, and this was a Confederate safe house during the war. Very interesting to see where John Surratt and John Lloyd hid the carbines for Booth and Herold to pick up on their escape. Great bookstore too, with plenty of Lincolnalia. Educational & fun!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

If you're like me - you may be naive in thinking that John Wilkes Booth plan to assassinate Lincoln was planned quickly. Not so. The Surratt House tour tells the story of the assassination plot as well as the original kidnapping plot as well as the roll of Mrs. Surratt, her son and the many others involved. Our tour guide was a bit flighty in approach, but informative none-the-less. The tour was rehearsed. It was a good story, leaving lots of questions for tour participants to ponder. Follow this up with a tour of the Dr. Mudd house. Worth the trip.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I visited the Surratt House on a Wednesday, the day before the 4th of July. Tours begin every half hour and last about 45 minutes. We had a $1.00 off coupon, but when asked if anyone was military, my husband showed them his retired military ID and we got in free. There was a tour ahead of us and one behind us, but they weren't extremely busy. Our tour included just one other couple, but right before we started, we were asked if we would mind a group of summer camp children to go on the tour with us. We told them that was fine. Well, our tour turned into what seemed like a classroom complete with question and answer sessions. The kids seemed to be very behaved, but occasionally one of their escorts would be making a scene and dragging them out of the room, leaving us wondering what the child did. The tour of the house is interesting, and our guide seemed knowledgeable of the history of the Surratts.

1  Thank pletzkeb
Reviewed 29 May 2013

While the house itself is very nice,there are very few original pieces that
belonged to Mary herself. JWB never spent any time here,not much to
tell.

2  Thank JArams
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I enjoy history especially the Civil War period. this was very good place to visit since it was where one of the Lincoln conspiritors lived. I was glad my uncle recommented it when was visiting him and my aunt in 1997

1  Thank deeshaNewville_alUsa