“BBQ Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 89 Restaurants in Cockeysville
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our Family has nearly a century old tradition of serving "Serious Barbecue." Andy Sr. Learned his labor of love from his dad, 'Guy Nelson' - Chief Barbecue Man for Limestone County, Alabama. In the 50's, Andy & Betty were not only attending Memphis State, raising a family, and sighting the real Elvis, but they were also developing a BBQ style all their own, integrating the spiciness of Memphis BBQ with the Old Nelson Family tradition. Andy's not famous for his championship years with the Baltimore Colts; he's famous for his hickory smoked BBQ. Ask Andy and he'll tell you that one of the secrets is slow cooking. Our BBQ is smoked many hours over Hickory logs until it falls off the bone, then simmered in our own heirloom sauce. Regularly voted "Baltimore's Best BBQ" by the staff and readers of Baltimore Magazine and the City Paper, this is one "Q" you won't want to miss. So let us take you and your guests down the Ol' Mississippi with great "Q" and maybe a little Elvis background music (streamed from Andy's iPod, of course). We recommend adding some of our Extra Fixin's to compliment your meal. We have been providing the Maryland area residents with the Best BBQ in a family atmosphere for over 30 years. We have been delivering quality BBQ to our local community and have never lost sight of what "The Best Q" means to our family and our guests. When it comes to BBQ, we make sure that everything is always made from scratch and everything always tastes perfect. I guarantee it! -Andy Nelson
Freeland, Maryland, USA
“BBQ Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Andy Nelson's is true southern BBQ. The pulled pork has just the right amount of smoke. Their brisket is tender and juicy. The corn bread is like a dessert. I would recommend the collar greens.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Baltimore, Maryland
“THE BEST...PERIOD!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I have been going to Andy Nelson's for years and we remain loyal customers. Everytime we eat there we are not disappointed, and we stop in at least once a month. There ribs are the best around, specially the dry rub ones. I have traveled all over the country and also own my own hardwood smoker and they are still the best. Their collard greens, cornbread, "dixie" wings, and potato wedges are also awesome. My wife usually gets the brisket and loves it. She usually has to take half of the sandwich home. If your in the area you owe it to yourself to get some of the best BBQ on the planet! Keep it up guys.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Second Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Met Andy Jr. This visit. just a great guy like his dad. Great food & service on this visit. a little drive down from Gettysburg, but it is worth it. Would recommend to anyone to visit if you want great [Q].

Visited July 2014
1 Thank djnlux
“Great food in a family environment.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Andy Nelson's is truly a place you must go. Great food, FAST service, good value, and unique setting. It's what a family BBQ restaurant should be.

Bel Air, Maryland
“BEST BBQ EVER!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Andy Nelson's has a very famous following. It is straight up amazingly delicious!!! the ribs, the corn bread, the mac and cheese, the beans, the bbq wedges, the chicken, the briskets, everything just everything is amazing! Everytime I go I usually get awesome service as well; however, my most recent visit there was a very obnoxious host at the front that was so loud about the dumbest things. I work at a restaurant myself so I was so close from snapping and asking why she thought she could act like this at another persons' restaurant. The sh** was saying had just made me curse for the first time in a review. Other than that Andy Nelson's is the best BBQ I have honestly had since visiting Kansas City! Great job guys!