“You get what you pay for”

Ramada Limited Cockeysville
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cockeysville
Louisvlle, KY
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 1 August 2006

After scanning the web and calling around for hotels to stay in during our family reunion, we settled on the Ramada Limited at 10100 York Road because of its low rates.

My parents arrived at their room first. They apparently had difficulty finding their reservation because they'd switched the order of our first and last names. The desk clerk was not very pleasant to them from what my mother told me.

When we arrived, the same desk clerk seemed aggrevated when I presented him with two prepaid "credit cards" that were sent to us in lieu of rebates. He wasn't sure how to use them, and after he ran them through, he stared at the machine in front of him for a long time.

"Not going through?" I said pleasantly?

"You've got to give me a minute!" he snapped.

Finally I paid, the clerk never once even going through the motions of thanking us for staying there.

We got our keys and went to our room. We walked in and were greeted with the smell of mildewed fabric and/or paper. The room was as warm as it was outside. I went to flip on the AC. Both the temperature knob and fan control knob spun freely, even though the fan/heat control looked like it should lock into each position and the temperature control had a minimum and maximum point. I turned it to the coolest setting and felt the air. Nothing. We looked at the room and realized we weren't staying at the Ritz.

After a couple of minutes of mildew odor and no response from the AC, we went back down to ask for another room. The same desk clerk snapped, "It's 92 degrees out there. You've got to give it more than a few minutes."

I advised him that there was no cool air coming out at all, and the room reeked of mildew. He huffed and puffed and eventually gave us a new room.

This room smelled of stale smoke, but the AC worked and... it had a refrigerator and microwave. But, the bathroom was ancient and looked like it needed a through overhaul. The toilet had mildew and/or dirt around the rim. The wallpaper was either old or poorly applied. The peephole had gum in it. The refrigerator was clean but had an odd odor. The microwave had an odd bit of damage to the top (it was a reverse dent, with part of the top of the microwave pointing upward instead of being dented in) and the turntable was filthy. The carpet needed replacing. The bedspread and linens appeared clean, but ancient as well. My wife said that she saw a bug on the channel card, but thankfully, that was our only encounter with one.

There were some pluses. The area was well lit, appeared secure, and the hotel was located near many restaurants and shopping. The bed was new and comfortable. The AC, once it was going, cooled the place nicely. The water pressure was better than many hotels. The continental breakfast was good and the area it was served in had been nicely spruced up. And the other employees were much nicer than the grump who was there when we checked in. The TV was sharp and had many channels. The free wireless internet also worked well.

All of that said, I got the feeling that we got what we paid for. The room was considerably cheaper than anything in the area. This hotel struck me as one that someone purchased, and realizing the expense involved in making it into something nice again, decided to forego the overhaul and offer a budget offering in the area. Unfortunately, the low price probably keeps them from spending more than the minimum to keep the place up, and also attracts people who tend to treat hotel rooms roughly.

If you're in the area and just want a cheap place to sleep, the Ramada Limited is not a horrible choice. We slept well, were close to where we wanted to be, and probably saved ourselves $100 bucks over the next most expensive hotel in the area. But beware that the hotel looks and feels every bit of its real age, and that you do indeed get something less than if you'd have paid $30 to $70 more a night.

• Liked — Bed was comfortable.
  • Disliked — Not very clean and desk clerk was rude.
  • Tips/Secrets — Beware that you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Rob M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
El Segundo, California
Reviewed 25 May 2006

I stayed at this Ramada Ltd for the weekend of the Preakness Stakes (May 19-21). The room was just fine for my needs. I only needed a clean, safe place to stay and this Ramada was just fine for that. No complaints about the room.

There was an odd odor upon entering the room, a musty/damp smell but it wasn't so bad as to drive me out of the room, and after a few minutes it was unnoticiable.

The A/C was a bit noisy when it was on FAN but otherwise was o.k. and worked well. The shower head was good. Nice water pressure.

I did have a small problem with a vending machine. It took my money without giving me a soda. The man at the lobby desk refunded my money, no questions asked.

If you are looking for a place simply to lay your head down at night then this is a good choice. Clean room, never felt unsafe, and a reasonable price.

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank PONYRCR
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 July 2005

Was pleasantly surprised with our recent stay at the Ramada Limited in Cockeysville, MD, about 15 to 20 minutes away from the fun of Baltimore. Our room, with a AAA discount, was less than $60/night, so we were a bit anxious as to what our stay would be like. For a place to stay near Baltimore that won't cost you an arm and a leg, it was more than adequate. All rooms don't have refrigerators and microwaves, but we requested one beforehand and our needs were met. The rooms are definitely a bit worn out, and the rugs could use some serious cleaning, but we found the staff helpful, the free continental breakfast adequate, and the outdoor pool was clean. The management deserves an A+ for the lifeguard at the pool -- when was the last time you found a lifeguard at a hotel pool? Our group was the only group using the pool both afternoons, and the lifeguards were more than attentive. One actually followed one of our swimmers around the pool becasue he was concerned about her abilities. Wow. The hotel is located in a strip mall, which isn't a plus, but on the other hand, some restaurants are in walking distance, even a Coldstone Creamery. Overall, not a bad deal for travelers on a budget and not looking for the Ritz.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cockeysville
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North - Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North -...
#2 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#1 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium
Radisson Hotel North Baltimore

Been to Ramada Limited Cockeysville? Share your experiences!