“More than a Taiwanese Tea House with Decent Food”
Review of Ten Ren's Tea Time

Ten Ren's Tea Time
Ranked #29 of 113 Restaurants in College Park
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I don't even live in the hood, I drove half an hour to eat in this place, because I read a review by some other review buddies in Yelp and decided to try it. The place is a kind of a contemporary Taiwanese Tea House style. The company was established in Taiwan in the 50's, and it operate in 7 different countries worldwide and 4 different states in the US. That was impressive. Although it bill itself as a Tea House, it actually serves very decent Chinese food. Mostly are Taiwanese style, but for a lots of people, all it meant to them is Chinese food and would not have know the difference.

The place has a very impressive Chinese Tea menu, especially the traditional Chinese tea menu, a large selection of Green Tea, plus a large selection of Herbal Tea. If you are a tea enthusiast, you are in heaven. On top of that, there is Bubble Milk Tea, Ice Bubble Tea, you can add additional jelly or bubbles for an extra $0.50! There is hot western tea or fruit tea, and there is a section of titled 'Signature Drink, where it incorporated some of the modern popular invention in Taiwan. There is also Bubble Matcha and Bubble Smoothie, Bubble Milk Smoothies and Shaved Ice.

Food wise, for such a small place, there is a rather large menu, I felt sorry for the kitchen really. The appetizer has all the snack portion size, from veggie like Edamame, string beans to spring roll, more contemporary Cheese Wontons (did not try it, cannot get pass the cheese, I like traditional wontons), big selection of noodles, and rice dishes. No worry for vegetarian either, about 8 to 9 dishes to choose from. Plus a few authentic Taiwanese dishes.

I ordered the Pork Roll, Fried String Beans to share with my dinner companion, I had the Eel Rice and my companion had the Chicken Cutlet with Rice. The Pork Roll is really nice, this would be like a street dishes served from a cart in Taiwan, and it has pork and other pork bits to make the sausages, and it was delicious. The String Beans was fried just right, not too dry, and it is still moist and slightly al dente. My Eel Rice was very much like a Japanese Unagi Don, the sauce is practically the same. I loved it, I had one long big piece of eel. Yum. My companion's Fried Chicken Cutlet with rice is also very good, crispy outside with a little crunch and moist inside.

I ordered the Chrysanthemum Tea with Honey, that was very nice, may be a little too much honey and not served in a traditional tea pot, for me esthetic and presentation is important.

Now the criticism I had with the Midnight Soy was that nearly all the bubble tea and cold tea come from powder, which is very common nowadays. Not many places actually use fresh ingredients nowadays.

No doubt from now on, I will be going there from time to time.

1  Thank Superlegalbabe

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I love the green apple (in jasmine green tea) and the white peach iced bubble teas. My daughter loves the taro. Any time I am in College Park I stop in for tea, even if I only have time to grab take-out. In fact, I enjoy the Ten Ren tea so much that I have sometimes asked my husband or son to pick up a bubble tea for me if they go to College Park. For dining in, the place is simple and calm, the prices reasonable, and the food served in decent-sized portions. You can sip a tea and read or play board games. If you are in College Park for any reason, be sure to check out Ten Ren!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

YUM! Delicious food that comes out piping hot. There's nothing I wouldn't recommend. The bubble tea is the bees knees. It's the real thing and delicious.

It's a great place to meet up with people, especially if there are things to be done and talked about. There's plenty of space for eating and typing up notes. You're easily able to plug a computer in and stay for a while. No one rushes you out.

This is one of the places I sincerely miss since moving away from CP.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This place a cool hang-out scene for college students. The food portions could be a little larger, but the quality is pretty good. The staff are friendly and the teas are delish.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

I really enjoyed the atmosphere is this restaurant. I did an afternoon bubble tea, but the food selection also looked very good.