“seemingly austere, but rich in taste”
Review of The Jerk Pit

The Jerk Pit
Ranked #9 of 114 Restaurants in College Park
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Description: College Park Island Paradise. Authentic Jamaican Cuisine while enjoying authentic food, full bar, outdoor seating and Music. Open 7 days.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Occupying the welcoming, if ramshackle, house that previously held College Perks, the Jerk Pit serves Jamaican food in quantities that will stagger you with heat-flavor balances that will win your heart and taste-buds. The chicken combo,with jerk chicken, chicken curry, and vegetables with rice and beans, proved an excellent introduction to an unpretentious and homey menu that offers variety and substance. The home-made ginger beer really knocked my socks off, and the jerk shrimp juxtaposed texture and spice for perfect mouthfuls of Caribbean flavor.

Enjoying this at a picnic bench in the shady yard lent a bit more verisimilitude, and made me want to come back and try everything on the menu. I saw a bandstand, so hopefully they offer live music, as well.

2  Thank Peter B

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I returned from Jamaica and wanted some authentic Jamaican food. My sister recommended this place so we went. They were out of shrimp patties and festivals so I only ordered coco bread and a ting. My sister ordered the chicken platter. Of course being the big greedy sister that I am, I asked if she could dip my bread in her curry chicken. OMG. It was some of the best curry chicken I've ever had. My husband offered me some of his jerk chicken and that was good too. Luckily my husband still loves me cause I dang near tore his chicken up. For someone who's just started eating meat again after several years, I'm happy to be a chicken eater again. Can't wait to go back. Hopefully they'll have my shrimp patty and festivals.

2  Thank tbell2010
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The jerk chicken sandwich at Jerk Pit is second to none. Possible the best sandwich I've ever had, this place does not disappoint. Also try the homemade carrot juice.

2  Thank Fernando J
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The atmosphere in the restaurant is pretty good. I loved the music, and the general friendliness of the staff, particularly the lady who owns the restaurant. I am from Jamaica, and I must say it is not the easiest to find a good, authentic Jamaican restaurant. This is one of them. There is another one that I also frequent, but I digress. The food tastes pretty much how a good cook in Jamaica would prepare his or her meals - the taste is not adjusted to suit another palate.

3  Thank Mich S
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The Jerk Pit changed locations but the food and service is the same. Get ready to wait for authentic Jamaican food. It is good and there is a wait. It reminds me of Negril and I think that is good. The food is so good but expect to stay awhile. Cam had goat stew and I had a bite. Be careful of the bones because that is the way it is supposed to be made. I had Jerk Chicken and it does not need more Scotch Bonnet. The shrimp is the same, good and spicy. I will go there again.

2  Thank innerbum1