“had breakfast here”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Food was ok but expensive for what you get. They left a pot of coffee at the table which was great. Service was perfect.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had an event in the Adirondack room. Pros - the room was perfect (lots of wood, antlers on the wall, a beautiful faux fireplace, lots of privacy), pool tables and juke box available, pretty good food in large quantity (underwhelming, but pub style), and they let us put up decorations.

Cons.. well, Untrustworthy, inconvenient, and generally all wrong.
1) I didn't feel confident that I could trust the catering manager. She quoted me several different prices for drinks (the menu said beer was $4.75 for a draft, but she said they raised the price to $6.25, then showed me the catering menu which said $4.25... whaa??) Everything felt like a used car sale - she kept having to go ask her manager, but wouldn't let me talk to the person. She also didn't answer any of my questions easily. Either she misinterpreted them, ignored them (email) or mixed up the answer. There was no language barrier. Why did I continue? Guess I fell in love with the room and figured the rest would work itself out. I was wrong.
2) It was really inconvenient to set up the event. It was a long, drawn out process because she didn't respond to email or phone calls quickly (like, a week in between), and was rarely available when I was because she has inconsistent hours. Then, I had to go in person to sign the contract (which ended up taking 3 HOURS).. though, later, when I was coaxed into increasing my order (more later), they easily scanned and accepted a faxed credit card authorization.
3) The event was all wrong. I made a big deal about the jukebox and pool tables and "manly" environment for my husband's 30th.. but when I showed up, they had roses and candles on the tables and were playing muzak (WHAT?!?!) They said the only choice of music was muzak and the juke only had speakers on the machine itself (WHA_WHAT?!?) and, though my guests had already complained about the jukebox not working (we came in late for the surprise party and), they did nothing to fix it until I raised a raucous (it turned out they had to reboot it, then it would only take $1 bills, not quarters or credit cards as it should have). At my behest, they turned off the muzak and turned the jukebox up (which obviously annoyed the bartender, more later).
5) They got me to buy 50% more food, then they wouldn't let me pack up the (massive) extras. On the day before the event, I received a bunch more RSVPs, and called to make sure we had enough food. Because the total guests were still the original planned number, I expected them to just say Yes and allay my concerns. Instead, I was (by another catering manager, as my contact was not available, see #2) that I only had 1/2 enough food for the number of guests! I increased my order by 50% and included a "refillable" item to cover it. BUT, by the end of the night, we had a TON of food left! 25% of the scallops, chicken tenders and beef, 75% of the deli tray, 70% of the dips. At first, I was frustrated, but glad we had enough food, and just wanted folks to take the left overs. But then they brought out my contract, highlighted (which they hadn't pointed out before), and said I wasn't allowed to take any of the food!! I would have been better off just letting my guests order whatever they wanted off the regular menu so they could have taken their own doggy bags, and the price wouldn't have been much different!
6) The bartender was ... unpleasant. This would be normal Maryland customer service, but it was another nail in the coffin on the evening because I kept having to deal with her sneer and holier-than-thou attitude.

1  Thank oregonapril
HICP, General Manager at Moose Creek Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Oregonapril

We are so sorry that you did not find your experience superior in Moose Creek Restaurant. We pride ourselves on attention to detail, as all was outlined in your contract for your event. We detailed your contract in specific to all of your request for your event.

Our prices do vary for a Catered and Restaurant events but glad that you received the benefit of lower drink prices for your patrons attending the event.

Unfortunately our music has to remain a constant because the room you had your event is a part of the restaurant and cannot adapt our music in the restaurant for private events. The food that was purchased can all be consumed on property but unfortunately no food can be taken out of the establishment which was also indicated clearly on your contract.

Any matter which was brought to our attention we fixed to ensure that each patron in your party and the guest of honor had a great event. Sorry for falling short to your expectations, but our contracts cannot be negotiated after the event is signed and agreed upon on.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I took my wife for the Prime Rib Buffet. It was good but the service was stellar. Our server was Lucinda. She was completely engaged and checking on us all the time. I am going to try the Sunday brunch next week. I can say that the service was stellar and so was the food.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Restaurant is in the Holiday Inn. I've stayed there a few times over the years and eaten here most times. It seems to have slipped a bit. Décor is old and a bit stale. Didn't opt for a dinner entrée; went with the steak sandwich instead. It was okay. Breakfast buffet was okay, too. Okay sums it up. Time to spruce things up a bit.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We are locals from College Park and go to Moose Creek more than I like but my boyfriend would eat there every night if they had their Seafood Buffet. Not only are they the best Crab Legs ever, they have a pretty darn good salad bar with the best Tuna Fish I have ever had. The good food is not the only thing that keeps us coming back. The wait staff, manager and cooks have all become like family, literally they all come to our table and give hugs and say hi. What amazes me is that i have never seen the restaurant pack and for the life of me, can not understand why. We eat out several times a week and we have been to the same places "many time" and not any of them treat us as good as our Moose Creek! To sum it all up....great food and great people!