“Best Location for RVing for DC Sightseeing”

Cherry Hill Park Campground
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hi all:

We are just back from Cherry Hill RV campgrounds in College Park, MD. The campground is the closest and very convenient to DC for all the activities you can do there for free. CH is currently doing some upgrading and I can't wait to go back next year to see the changes.

We used the bus/metro system to get into DC but discovered that it was much more convenient using our own vehicle and parking at the metro parking garage for $5.10 a day then waiting for a bus to take you back to CH after a long, hot day. It is approx. $2.00 per person per each way so it pays to park. I can finally say that I have figured out the DC metro system after 12 years of having one or two of my children living down there. Very simple and the walks from the stations to all that DC has to offer is not that bad - just be sure to wear your sneakers.

I only had one experience using the bathhouse facilities and I was not too pleased to find that there was not any toilet paper :( Also it could have used a good cleaning. When we have been at other campgrounds that has never been the case.

The pool area is good but I don't know why they had a blue tarp under the seats at one of the pools - it looked nasty and I was not going near it.

CH is the type of campground that people are out all day and come back to cool off after seeing the sights. I thought it was quiet even though the campsites are very tight - you basically share a picnic area with next RV. So much for family time.

I certainly would go back and plan on it but now I know what the deal is!

Best,
Debbie

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Cherry Hill Park Campground

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of July/beginning of August. Check-in time for campsites is 11am (which is great). Check-in was quick and easy. Front desk staff is very helpful and will give you lots of information about transportation options. Prices were ok...but they are all based on 2 people. Since we have 2 kids, we had to pay an additional $5/per kid/per day. I understand paying for extra adults, but that just seems odd to charge for children.

Our site was very nice - a back-in premium a few spots down from the ballroom/snack bar/pool complex. Didn't have a very large grass area for our firepit, which was our only complaint. Cable worked well (the 10 minutes we had the tv on), water pressure was good, no issues with the electric. Our spot had a picnic table, as well as a round table with 3 chairs. The whole 3 chairs thing was a little odd - seems like there should've been four. Glad we paid the few bucks extra for 'premium' since many of the regular sites were pull thrus that faced each other with side by side picnic tables. I'm a social person...but looking into a stranger's camper for almost a week is a bit much for me.

The pools were nice. I guess one is heated and one is not - but they both felt warm (of course, it's the end of July so maybe that's why). The outdoor movies were done inside in the clubhouse area. Lots of people doing laundry would watch the movie in between loads. The cafe had ice cream (about $2.50 per scoop) and bagels/muffin type items for breakfast. That's also the same area where the sauna and hot tub are. The hot tub is an 8-person model inside the building. Everything seemed very clean. The playgrounds were nicely tended and there were tractor rides at night too (which were pet friendly - our dog loved riding around and seeing all the sights).

There is a bus stop right there at the campground. It's about $3/per person roundtrip from campground to the College Park metro. Since there were 4 of us, we opted to drive instead. It's only 3 miles and there's ample parking. Parking at the Metro station was $5.10 on weekdays and free on weekends. Driving also made it possible to stop off on the way home to pick up stuff. There's a Starbucks, chinese takeout, pizza place, Home Depot, Best Buy, and Shoppers on the way to/from the Metro.

There is construction going on at the campground, but the noise did not bother us. The mini golf appears to be open, but we didn't see anyone using it. It seems to just be a general golf theme (no fancy waterfalls or anything like that). It was also out in the sun with no trees or anything around it. I'm guessing when the construction is done, they'll install landscaping and it will be very nice.

We also used the dog walker service. She is not actually a campground employee, so you have to set everything up directly with her. She was very easy to work with and we were glad to have her so that we didn't have to worry about cutting our sight-seeing short. She also checks your air conditioning and stuff like that so that you don't have to worry about a hot dog!

In summary, we really liked this campground and will return.

If you found this review helpful, please give it a 'thumbs up'. Have a great trip!

Room Tip: Reserve a premium spot so that you're not looking into your neighbor's camper.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank djd11
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We liked this campground a lot! They teach you how to get to DC via public transportation. They assist you with anything you need the place was great! ...However; traffic noise is a constant, their golf cart fleet is not maintained very well (rotting seats on all three we swapped into, bald tires on one of them, windshield hazed on two...)but rental price was good. One lady there didn't want to help but had we know the park rules about switching sites we could have just asked for someone else to help us. She was the ONLY downer out of everyone we interacted with. We WILL stay here again our next trip to DC.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Zonian911
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I'm admittedly not a camper, and our family stay at Cherry Hill was my first time at a campground. I was pleasantly surprised! The campground was clean and had lots of amenities; my family particularly appreciated the pool, the fire pit, and the camp store, which had almost everything we could possibly think of needing! While I didn't use the public facilities, my husband and father did, and they had no complaints. The only issue that we had was with road noise: the campground is just off I-95, and there was some resultant nighttime noise. If we returned, I'd likely seek a site a bit deeper into the campground, further away from the interstate. Still, this didn't impede our largely positive stay.

As other reviewers have noted, the campground location is definitely a plus. We were just down the road from restaurants, grocery/drug stores, and a Target, which made it easy to run out for anything we needed. The campground is a 5 - 10 minute drive from the College Park Metro station, and we made use of this fact to go into D.C. on two of the four days while we were there. The trip was easy and convenient, as the station is on the green and yellow lines. It took ~45 minutes to get into the city. Overall, Cherry Hill Park provided a great opportunity to camp while simultaneously taking advantage of all D.C. has to offer, and we'd definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LaurenandRyan
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed here in early August. What a jewel! The staff is friendly, plenty to do for kids and adults, clean, store items are reasonably priced, restaurant food was good. I would highly recommend this campground. If you are a traveler wanting to see DC and not spend a fortune in hotels this is the place for you. Simply catch the bus to Metro and head to DC. Also located close to Home Depot and Shopper's Food Warehouse for your food needs.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My family and I stayed at Cherry Hill Park for 3 nights while visiting the capitol and the Smithsonian museums. The tent site we had was very small, was strewn with half-rotten leaves from last fall (we stayed in August!), it was very uneven, it had no grass, rather gravel, sticks and leaves. Worst of all it was about 150 feet from the freeway - the I95! Obviously, the road noise was very loud and unabated throughout the night, making sleep very difficult. About the only positives were the nice pool and clean washrooms. While it is one of the only choices that is accessible by MetroBus, I would recommend staying a little farther out of town and simply parking at a MetroRail station for each day you plan to spend downtown. Not worth $50+ a night. The road noise simply ruins the campground.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank BradPenney
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for a week, and it was a great spot to access DC. The park is nice with larger sites, and good spacing between. There are a lot of sites to choose from, and overall the park staff is great in assisting you in finding the right site. There is a bus service to the local subway system, but we oped to drive to the station, much faster, but you do have to pay for parking when you get to the station, but worth the time savings. We would stay here again if ever in the DC area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Best Western Plus College Park Hotel
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia / Laurel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Laurel

Been to Cherry Hill Park Campground? Share your experiences!