“Decent Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Fairfax, Virginia
“Decent Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel isn't bad - it's older and you can tell it's dated. The layout is strange - some rooms are inside the main building and others have exterior entrances. The room was clean and comfortable and the front desk staff were pleasant - I received a call to check and see if everything was okay shortly after getting in the room.

The main building has the FunDome area - it's a small indoor pool and a hot tub that wasn't working when I was there (much to my disappointment). There are also a handful of video games. The whole area was very dark and could have used some upgrades, including better lighting. I believe the county requires hotel pools to have lifeguards, so that probably limits the hours the pool is open in order to minimize costs.

There is a bar and restaurant on the premises - when I went, the place was dead and I wasn't even sure if the restaurant was open. I had a couple of drinks at the bar.

All in all, this was a really good value and I think it could be a really great establishment with a few upgrades and a little bit of maintenance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Upon check-in, we were upgraded, no cost, to an available larger room, which was really to our advantage, because our second day there we were snowed in. Very cozy and comfortable...good breakfast, and a nice Asian fusion restaurant on premises. Short walk to a 7-11 across the street, and not to far down the road was a strip mall with several inexpensive restaurants.
We used the shuttle to get to and from the Metro...we were on a tourist visit to DC, and only had a problem the last day when we waited almost 1 hour for pickup at the station in the evening...it was freezing cold outside, and involved several phonecalls to finally get picked up...no explanation or apology from driver...therefore, no tip from us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Kevin K
Oxford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We were attending the Horse Bowl Competition held at the University of Maryland. The location to the University was very close. The staff was very friendly. Our room was clean, and we had a great two nights of sleep. The homemade waffles were great. We are coming back in June for another weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Wooster, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

The hotel offers excellent customer service. Front Desk is extremely helpful. We asked for a room with Microwave and mini fridge, but our room did not have what was requested. Front desk solve problems immediately. Room and bath room are really clean.

The hotel condition, however, was not as good as expected. Room was small. As you walked in the lobby, you can smell the chlorine of the pool (!!!!).

My tip? Go to other hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
laurel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed over here in February and had to extend our trip during the snow storm. If it was any regular hotel my kids would have been really bored and would have made me crazy. Thank god for the Indoor Pool and games. We had a great stay, the staff is really nice and takes good care of you. Also we ate in the restaurant couple of times and it was good food. Rooms were clean and so was the general appearance of the hotel.

Room Tip: With kids you definitely want to stay by the pool and enjoy your room while looking out for the kids...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelfreaklaurel
Torrington, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I've read the other reviews and I do agree that the setting were less than pristine, they were no worse that I would expect from an economy motel. I was very satisfied with the heated pool and the small, but adequate, work-out center. I was most impressed, however, with the service we received. Within minutes after entering our room, I received a call from the service desk asking if our room was satisfactory. The people at the front desk were cordial AND knowledgeable about the area, giving us dining recommendations within walking distance of the motel and directions back into Washington, DC. Next time I am visiting Washington DC I will be staying at this inn.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel is low priced and the staff are very helpful, however it doesn't compensate for the conditions. I've stayed at the Clarion quite a few times recently because of the distance of my new job and I always find myself feeling uncomfortable. Mostly, it's because of the smelly parking lot that always seems to have a stream of stinky water puddles. The carpet in the rooms is extremely filthy. My last room had several gum stains and some of them were still sticky, eeww. I personally believe that the place should be shut down. I've never visited the pool, but you can smell the chlorine in every room (even the outside rooms).

My most recent stay I had the front desk call my room several times complaining of a barking dog. The irony is that I'd called complaining about the barking dog from my cell phone. My room phone was yellow with grime so I didn't use that. Nonetheless, no one ever came around to check on the dog complaint. The receptionist had the nerve to ask if I'd brought a dog with me. That just confirmed that she'd never noted or investigated my complaints about barking dogs interrupting my sleep.

Room Tip: Pay an extra $20 to stay at a more reputable location.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Days Inn College Park
#9 of 11 in College Park
Holiday Inn Washington College Park
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!