“Not the Best Place” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Clarion Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not the Best Place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This Hotel Pictures do not accurately portray the actual look of the Hotel. This hotel is very old and dated. Well they are trying to keep it clean, this Hotel need to be completely refurbished. There’s just so much to say about this Hotel, one does not know where to start. Check in was okay, the guy that checked us in was very accommodating, Steve was his name. He was happy to have us. The price $80. per night was okay. Our room was around the enclosed pool area, the concept was good, away to keep the kid entertained and contain, but everything needs updating, starting with the carpet. My room, we’ll let just say, I have stayed in much better, The bathroom was very small, I had bigger bathroom on Cruise ships. It need painting, deep cleaning, oh and my sister saw and killed a roach. Need I say more. The breakfast area was just okay, food was your basic continental breakfast, nice gal that worked the breakfast area, that actually made our homemade waffles for us, nice touch. We used the conference room upstairs for our Reunion, the room was just okay, the catered food I have to say was actually excellent. The conference room had as dance nice size dance floor. This hotel does not have a elevator, but a very small and SLOW lift to take seniors to the second floor for the conference room. But someone has to stay on the bottom floor to hold the button to send the lift upstairs. I wouldn't ride is, looks like it would die in midstream. On the ground floor is a bar and restaurant. Restaurant serves several different types of food. At first you think, I don't want to eat hear, but then once you sit down and look around, it not all bad. The food was actually not bad at all. The Bar right next to the Restaurant, was interesting, one night they had karaoke, the second night, Reggae, you had to been in before 10:00pm after they charged $10.00, the third night there was supposed to be Comedy, however the Comedian canceled, and the bartender call in, so someone closed the bar on a Saturday night with a hotel full of guests, not good business. This hotel is run by Indians, so there are a lot of Indian working and staying at this Hotel. Overall, I can only give this hotel a 2 rating narrowly, and I can't not recommend this Hotel, there is a Best Western just down the street walking distance. Location: is good, 7-11 right across the street, next 7-11 is Burger King, next to BK is Taco Bell and next to TB is Denny's. Very close to University of Maryland -College Park, a very nice University.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by kids playing in the Fundome, then ask for a room outside, not around the pool...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sheila3003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We used a coupon from one of the hotel coupon books one can pick up at rest stops on I-95 or usually at Dennys. The 2 double bedded room came to less than $80 per night which is very good in the U of M and DC area. They only had a handicapped room left so we were on the ground floor away from the street and the pool/entertainment area.
There is a free shuttle which covers several nearby hotels we took to the College Park Metro station . It runs from 6:30 to 10:30am and from 3:30 to 7:15pm weekdays (the hours are a bit different on weekends). We had to wait about 30 minutes for the morning shuttle but the returning shuttle came quickly.
I needed to call the desk twice - cigarette smell in non-smoking room and locked safe. Both times they responded quickly and took care of things. The hotel staff was excellent - friendly, competent and quick to respond to requests.
We used the indoor pool and hot tub and enjoyed them. There was a life guard there who did a good job of working with small children.
If you expect a 5 star hotel you will be disappointed. The room is clean with a good TV, a safe, a small table and two chairs, a refrigerator, night table, lots of lights, good air-conditioner, and three drawer dresser. It does have a clothes bar and hangers in the bathroom -- which seems unusual. This is because it is a handicapped room with a very large bathroom.
The breakfast was very adequate - freshly made waffles, hard boiled eggs, fruit, toast, yoghurt. fruit juices, coffee/tea, etc.
We will return.

2 Thank Liamsmamo
Sicklerville, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We checked into this hotel around 8pm on a Sunday night that we booked through an outside booking agent. We ate Indian food at the restaurant onsite, The Asian Fusion, that was very good!! If you tell them you are a guest of the hotel you get 20 percent off of your check too.
The room was ok but there was a really nice indoor pool and hot tub that is right in the lobby area and there is also a f o o s ball table, pool table, miniature golf and a gym. If our kids would of been with us they would of loved it!!
Would surely stay again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The internet pictures for this hotel were extremely misleading. The hotel was very loud & dirty; my TV was broken and a light bulb busted into pieces onto my bed; just after turning on the light. I slept in glass that night because nobody ever showed to clean up the mess (and I wouldn't dare to sleep without a sheet), nor bring another light bulb. None of the staff seemed to care that I was an unhappy customer even after multiple complaints. I will NEVER recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. It has made me even question whether I should ever stay in a "Choice Hotel" again.

Room Tip: Steer clear of staying next to the "Fun Dome"; Get an outside room. Even better, do not st...
      Location
2 Thank Ciara W

Travellers are raving about these College Park hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

First of all our hotel room was discusting.. the room temperature cooler and heater was leakig all over the gross carpets. I didnt dare take my shoes off.. and so we desides to leave the room and eat at one of their restaurants and we ordered (there were four of us) and we didnt get our food delivered at the same time.. we got them five minutes apart. So after that we left to stay at the holiday inn. It is right down the road and it is sooo much nicer! DONT STAY HERE!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Abigail M
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Clarion for 5 nights while on a research trip to the National Archives. I chose the hotel because of its shuttle service and reasonable price. Overall, my stay was OK, but I think I would try a different College Park hotel next time.

The staff is friendly and tries hard, but they are lacking in resources. For example, the shuttle (the big reason I took a chance on a hotel so far from the Metro) serves both the Clarion and the Quality Inn, and it's hugely overburdened. Waits of 30+ minutes for a ride were pretty normal. Once I waited 50 minutes and then finally gave up and boarded a bus. If you're counting on the shuttle you should factor that wait time into your planning.

The hotel is a bit worn around the edges, but not awful. My room was fine (although I agree with previous reviewers who thought the A/C was weak and smelled kind of funky). I could have used better access to electrical outlets. "High-speed" wifi is definitely *not* high-speed -- it's slow and the signal is weak in places.

Overall I think the Clarion is fine if you need to stay in College Park and you're looking to save some money, but go in with reasonable expectations.

Room Tip: Don't stay in one of the rooms around the indoor pool! Strong chlorine smell and lots of noise a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MCB50
New Hope, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

this hotel/motel is located right on RT 1 ( Baltimore Pike) on the north-side of U of Md campus.
We were attracted to this spot because of the indoor pool, and mini-golf. Worn at round the edges, it was just so-so. The Continental Breakfast served in the morning was good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Days Inn College Park
#9 of 11 in College Park
Holiday Inn Washington College Park
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!