“You WANT to stay here”

Holiday Inn Washington College Park
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in College Park
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I just returned from College Park. My reason for going was to do research at the National Archives II. The Holiday Inn has a complimentary shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up at any location within a 5 mile radius. The shuttle was on time and it was a HUGE help. The hotel is very close to the metro stations at College Park and Greenbelt. The shuttle will take you to the station and pick you up. The rooms were nice and the service was EXCELLENT. I felt very safe here and they recommended a good restaurant called Sir Walter Raleigh Inn. If you are in the area, you should go there.
Also, there is a computer in the lobby anyone can use and another one to print out boarding passes. It really had everything available for someone staying there and the staff was so helpful.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
HICP, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel and hope that your future travels will bring you back to our hotel .We value your business and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Laptop was stolen at the hotel, manager said it wasnt his fault and did nothing to try to make it right. Watch your stuff carfully if you stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Its unfortunate the guest laptop was taken from the hotel. It was left unattended, in a high traffic area open to the public while guest went to enjoy breakfast. Guest refused to call authorities to help facilitate finding the laptop and preferred to ask for compensation. This is the first time that anything has ever been missing from our banquet area. The Hotel is not responsible for items left unattended or not secured sorry.

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Hotel was excellent. Staff was plesant and helpful.Shuttle to Metro was great

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
HICP, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2010

We appreciate you taking time to write a wonderful review. We are extremely pleased you enjoyed our rooms and shuttle service. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

My husband and I needed a place near both College Park (for the National Archives) and a Metro station - since this was the top hotel in the region we booked it (a King room) for four nights several weeks in advance of our trip. Upon arrival, the front desk manager speedily checked us in and we headed upstairs to find.... a double room! My husband went back down to inquire as to why we were not given what was reserved, and was informed that they were "out of King rooms." We were given nothing to make up for this glitch. I know this is not a *huge* deal, but since we were doing research and staying for four nights, we wanted something comfortable, and we expected better from the Holiday Inn.

I would have begrudgingly accepted the room arrangement if not for the awful, cloying chemical smell in both the hallways and the room itself. It was like cheapo Febreze gone wild! I am assuming this was an attempt at overt cleanliness, but it quite honestly stank like the cheapest truck stop cologne. Windows were sealed shut, so airing out the room was not an option. When we turned the air conditioner on, I realized why staff must be instructed to spray copious amounts of this stuff around - the a/c was blowing a damp moldy odor. After three days spent attempting to avoid returning the the room, we checked out early. It just might be that I am extraordinarily sensitive to scents, but this is fair warning to anyone considering this hotel - it gave me a pretty awful headache, and was still scent-tached to our luggage upon returning home.

The one positive about this hotel, however, were the shuttle staff and housekeeping staff. The room was kept tidy and we were given fresh towels regularly. Shuttle drivers were prompt and courteous.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Rooms are small, dark, and dingy. Carpets smell moldy. Phone in the room was broken and when I called the front desk about it they told me I would have to use the phone in the lobby or in the hallway. I was there a week and they never bothered to fix it. When I checked in, I had to go back and ask for my breakfast coupons (I am a Priority Club member) - they should be given out automatically. But the absolute worst was the terrible housekeeping staff. Even though I was out everyday before 8 am, they still did not clean the room until after 4 pm. And did a terrible job when they finally got around to it. The only day they came early was on the day of check-out when they banged on the door and tried to get in TWICE before 9 am, even though the "do not disturb sign" was on the door. I stayed at this hotel ten years ago and remember it being much better - I don't think they have painted or cleaned the place since then. The Internet was so slow that it was not even worth trying to use it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank JadziaDax45

I am so sorry for the failures in service you received in your stay at our hotel. I must say that this is not the standard for our property and sorry that we fell short to your expectations. We have recently gone through a renovation and have made up-grades to the property. Hopefully you’ll give us another chance when coming back to the area and we apologize for falling short of your service expectations.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

Power out in my neighborhood, which is why I needed a close-by hotel. The service is very good--from the front desk to the restaurant/bar. Rooms are very clean. Bathrooms very clean. Food in restaurant is good and not too pricey. Only issue I had is that I woke up whenever the a/c turned on and off. My issue--nothing wrong with the a/c.

Excellent hotel for the money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I would have given this hotel a 5-star but for the AC that was not working on the hot days we were in DC. We travelled to DC and decided to stay here instead of the expensive hotels in DC.

The rooms are great, clean, spacious, beds are very comfortable. They have a pool which our kids (ages 10 and 6) made best use of. The staff is very friendly and went over and beyond to make sure we were comfortable during our stay. Our rates were $121/day which included free hot breakfast buffett on each of the 4 days we stayed plus the kids ate free.

Location is great as well - The hotel is right off I-495 and I-95 intersection and it was about 30 min to DC driving, 5 min to the Greenbelt Metro station (parking is free at the station during weekends or the hotel runs a shuttle there). There are a ton of good restaurants within driving distance of 20 min or less. IKEA is right behind the hotel if you want to shop there.

So why only 3 stars? We were there last week when the temperature in the area was constantly 96-97F. The rooms were hot until about 1am because the AC unit could not keep up. The facilities person even replaced the AC unit in our room with a brand new unit to no avail. They gave us an extra room for no charge for the last night so that we could sleep comfortably and they dropped out rate to $99 without even asking. The other room was OK in terms of cooling. It was obvious that the AC could not handle the high temperatures.

So overall, we loved the location, the service and the breakfast. But the AC was a bummer. But if you are going to be in the DC area when it is not going to be super hot, this hotel is of great value. I hope the management realizes that if they fix the AC, they have a winner.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#6 of 12 in College Park
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to Holiday Inn Washington College Park? Share your experiences!